Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reviving a Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

This is very cool! I loved reading about your travels and adventures, so I’m looking forward to this book. Congratulations!

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Thanks PNW and Erste, I appreciate it. The reader group reviews/suggestions are almost all in, next it goes to proofing, then it'll be ready to go. It might not be the greatest book ever, but it will be as clean, professional, and grammatically correct as it can possibly be.

I went to get emissions tested today after work. I started the van and went around to take the rear cushion out. In a ridiculous coincidence, I heard a clanging/rattling sound coming from the motor.

I opened the hatch and nothing jumped out at me; the sound was coming from somewhere else:

The catalytic converter. It was rattling. I kicked it (not too hard) and the rattling changed. Damnit.

I thought I'd roll the dice and see if I could get through emissions. They didn't check the engine so I didn't have the conversion nightmare that others in Colorado have recently reported, so I was feeling good about my chances. I even got a good driver; the guy did a great job on the test (you can watch them from the waiting area.)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It failed. NOx was 5.0551. Legal limit is 5.

I'm assuming it's the cat. The head is rebuilt, plugs are new, ignition components are all new, it doesn't run rich. Gotta find a 2.25 inch universal CARB compliant cat, get it installed, and try again. Bummer.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

So, I failed emissions again, bought a Cali cat, and no muffler shops in Denver will install it on the van (I don't know how to weld) because it doesn't have the original engine. The state has them scared to death of a $30k fine. During this process I've also found a hole in the downpipe, so exhaust is on the back burner for now while I figure out what to do. I know there's a lot of interest in this topic, so I'll update everybody once I have resolution.

In order to keep momentum, I did replace the broken latch on my swing-away.

The latch was misaligning because the body bracket bolts had loosened up a bit after four years of abuse.

ERSTE--If you read this, you'll notice that there's now a bolt in the bottom hole of the bracket. Ever since you pointed out my laziness in not having that final bolt installed one year at Syncro Solstice, it's been on my list to add the damned thing. Smile Loosening up everything allowed me to finally get it threaded.

My PS pump was absolutely dead, so I replaced it with a used one. I had forgotten how nice power steering is.

In other news, my book was released today on Amazon.

If you pick up a copy, pay attention to the Acknowledgements. Smile

Thank you all, every one of you, for playing a part in the creation of this book.

It's currently listed as near-free for friends and family in order to shamelessly beg for reviews (which are worth more than gold in Amazon search dynamics.) Pick up a copy!

https://www.amazon.com/Vanagon-Louisiana-Two-Lane-...amp;sr=8-1

I'll probably add a Samba ad at some point, but wanted y'all to know it's live and available.

Cheers!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Bought the book, thanks for taking the time writing it.

BTW, looking at the acknowledgements section, Harvest Moon is one of my all-time favorite albums, loved to hear “Unknown Legend” prior to paddling in the South East (Youghiogheny, Occoee) - it just put me in the mood.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
Bought the book, thanks for taking the time writing it.

BTW, looking at the acknowledgements section, Harvest Moon is one of my all-time favorite albums, loved to hear “Unknown Legend” prior to paddling in the South East (Youghiogheny, Occoee) - it just put me in the mood.

Thank you! Something about that album...It crept around that whole trip and was my go-to background music for much of the writing.

I couldn't stand it at age 22 when it came out, then around age 40 I revisited it and it all made sense. Go figure. Smile

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
DirtDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Ordered mine.

I want a personalized message written in it when I see ya at solstice. Wink
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Ordered. Your fan base will be demanding autographs!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Ha! Thanks, y'all. I hope you like it and I will definitely scribble on them. Hoping to get a fresh meetup on the calendar here soon.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
So, I failed emissions again, bought a Cali cat, and no muffler shops in Denver will install it on the van (I don't know how to weld) because it doesn't have the original engine.

Sounds like it's time to do a bit of shopping.

https://weldingmagazine.com/best-welder-for-home-use/ Cool
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
joetiger wrote:
So, I failed emissions again, bought a Cali cat, and no muffler shops in Denver will install it on the van (I don't know how to weld) because it doesn't have the original engine.

Sounds like it's time to do a bit of shopping.

https://weldingmagazine.com/best-welder-for-home-use/ Cool

Indeed...I've been down the Youtube welding rabbit hole a few times recently. Smile

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

welding is easy.
do it right and it'll last for a bit
do it wrong and you get more practice.. Wink

to me there's a 'sound' to stick/mig welding... akin to a good frying pan of bacon
a nice consistent sizzle. while pushing that little molten 'hot glue'..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Learning to weld is officially on my list, but has to wait until after I sell a bunch of books. Smile

I found the source of the leak, right there in the butt crack (tech term) of the downpipe.

A welder buddy said it'd be a lot easier to work on if the whole thing was out. Twenty minutes later, I had only broken one stud.

Seems a little pathetic. There isn't much to it and I'd rather something new and with better routing, but I'll patch this up for now.

Pigpen is a main character in the book I just released and it ain't even running. Very Happy

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I ordered a hard cover copy of your book. I hope it is autographed Smile
Sent you a friend request on Facebook too if that isn't too weird lol. You came up as a suggested friend then I remembered I needed to order the book.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
I ordered a hard cover copy of your book. I hope it is autographed Smile
Sent you a friend request on Facebook too if that isn't too weird lol. You came up as a suggested friend then I remembered I needed to order the book.

Thanks Steve! Request accepted. I'll sign it at Solstice. Meaning you should come to Solstice. Smile

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Some evening reading finally showed up.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Thanks Carl!

So, so weird to see my book in other people's hands...

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Mike from RMW was down a couple of weekends ago and offered to take my exhaust up to Ft Collins and repair it for me. Unfortunately, it was too far gone. The downpipe was like tissue paper.

So, I'm taking this opportunity to get an improved exhaust designed. To that end, Pigpen got its first ride on a truck a few days ago.

Nestled in the bucolic splendor of RMW.

I'm excited to mark this off the list, but having my van sixty miles north is like missing an appendage. It is turning me inside out. But hopefully I'll be ready for SyncroFest and Syncro Solstice after this!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Pigpen is just joining the rest of the team for spring training. Should be in great shape for Syncro Solstice!
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

Nestled in the bucolic splendor of RMW.

Had to google it.

bu·col·ic
adjective
relating to the pleasant aspects of the countryside and country life.
"the church is lovely for its bucolic setting"
BC_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Congrats on your book Joe. Have just enjoyed reading this thread and understanding your journey. You've done it all with a pretty standard garage, whilst holding down a day-job and all that comes with family commitments. The friends gathering for the high-top install and the humour along the way was treasure. You can change a fuel filter on the side of the road and still make the gig, and know it's every nut and circlip - surely the badge of honour for anyone wanting a van.

Love seeing this van out to concerts and hope to hear of more backroad travels and what these vans and their stories & community can teach us.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 33

Jump to: