Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.9l AAZ in T3; A learning experience A to Z
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: 1.9l AAZ in T3; A learning experience A to Z Reply with quote

[changed subject heading to cover broader AAZ topic drift...]

Hi All,

As I'm learning (oh so much) about my imported doka I keep running into some things way over my pay grade... i.e. wtf does this wire do and why is it cut off?

I've got almost zero experience with diesels (am up to about 5% now) and having a transplanted engine in a European T3 makes it more challenging for sure.

First there are two, what I assume are breather tubes fro the transmission? (Syncro), coming out of the transmission just aft of the rear axels that run up to the top on the engine bay and gooseneck to...well, nothing.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From the top (yellow arrows on right point to the ends of the transmission tubes - hard to see one under the oil cooler pump. Yellow arrow on left dead ends also under air filter)

Better view of the upper one I repositioned for clarity

Though that seems like a pipeline or debris into my precious synchro transmission perhaps this is normal? Or did they connect to the original 1.6l JX somehow and were left off? Any insights most appreciated.

Mark (the gremlin herder Rolling Eyes )

Last edited by Alaskaberrys on Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9l AAZ in T3 Hose Dead Ends?? Reply with quote

Yes, those are breather pipes. VW built the Syncros to work, and one of the things they had in mind were stream crossings.
Not sure why they thought the diesel bell-housing needed such large breather pipes, (the gas versions have just a small plastic breather hose), but bell-housing, transaxle and front diff all have breathers because they are sealed against water intrusion.
The two hoses from the transaxle and front diff usually terminate over the fuel tank.
It's always a good idea to check the small pipes for dirt clogging the opening.

You may want to double check that smaller hose you are pointing at that leads to the air-filter. Follow it back where it comes from. If I remember correctly that should be a vacuum hose for the LDA and connects to the intake manifold.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9l AAZ in T3 Hose Dead Ends?? Reply with quote

Are you sure that's an AAZ?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9l AAZ in T3 Hose Dead Ends?? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Yes, those are breather pipes. VW built the Syncros to work, and one of the things they had in mind were stream crossings.
Not sure why they thought the diesel bell-housing needed such large breather pipes, (the gas versions have just a small plastic breather hose), but bell-housing, transaxle and front diff all have breathers because they are sealed against water intrusion.
The two hoses from the transaxle and front diff usually terminate over the fuel tank.
It's always a good idea to check the small pipes for dirt clogging the opening.

Thanks MsTaboo! Knowing that is a relief. After reading many of the trans threads and how mere dust motes can wreak havoc with our gears I was alarmed at a passage(s) that would slow several fat gerbils to pass easily. I will do my best to keep them above water. I did find a small plastic line - 1/4” ID that comes off the forward end of the transmission just before the driveshaft (the transaxle?) that runs to the general vicinity of the fuel injection pump - resting on top of the engine and isn’t connected to anything. Perhaps it was routed more forward over the fuel tank in the past but flopped out when the new engine was installed. I’ll look for the front diff ones now and check they are clear too.

MsTaboo wrote:
You may want to double check that smaller hose you are pointing at that leads to the air-filter. Follow it back where it comes from. If I remember correctly that should be a vacuum hose for the LDA and connects to the intake manifold.

I’m not sure what that device is - something throttle related (I’ll look up LDA) - but the other end isn’t connected to anything. Perhaps it was on the 1.6l - no obvious small male ports that I can find. I’d like to know where/what it should connect to.

Perhaps to this hiding behind the drivers taillight assembly? (Current intake air hose is removed for photo)

Original intake fan? Not sure, but it’s tied into the electric still - 10 years after the swap.... (don’t mention the rust by the way....I’m still adjusting to the fact it’s, well, everywhere Crying or Very sad )

Last edited by Alaskaberrys on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:07 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9l AAZ in T3 Hose Dead Ends?? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Are you sure that's an AAZ?

Ha! Good point. I did finally receive my copy of the Bently covering the Jetta, Golf, GTI, and Cabrio just the other day and was able to find out where they hide that engine code - I had looked everywhere!

Well, here it is hidden under the top coolant port line etched in discrete 0.1mm line for all to see. Not sure how I could have missed it Rolling Eyes

So, finally 100% sure it’s an AAZ and 8% educated on such. Progress.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9l AAZ in T3 Hose Dead Ends?? Reply with quote

I asked because the valve cover and injection pump don't appear to be AAZ. They appear to be standard 1.6TD JX pieces. That's not to say there hasn't been some mix n' matching going on, but it's always nice to know what baseline you're dealing with.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9l AAZ in T3 Hose Dead Ends?? Reply with quote

I wasn’t sure either till yesterday and verified. I have learned that the 1.6 JX to 1.9 AAZ was/is a pretty straightforward swap and used the same injection pump so I assume that is the original pump.

By the way, is there a special tool to remove the fuel lines from the check valves on the pump outlets? I tried to remove the fuel lines to the injectors to replace my glow plugs but they are fused on way tight. Could only back the check valve part out of the pump - but doing so would bend/destroy the lines so I left them in place. Major pain!
T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9l AAZ in T3 Hose Dead Ends?? Reply with quote

Hi,

it´s a clean conversion to make it look like a JX, probably to avoid the higher taxes of the 1,9 (the engine code isn´t that obvious as you said Very Happy ).

It would be interesting, if it´s the AAZ head with hydraulic lifters modified to accept the valve cover of the JX or a head from the 1,7 KY with mechanic lifters which of course you´ll have to calibrate from time to time.

Greetings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9l AAZ in T3 Hose Dead Ends?? Reply with quote

T3messie wrote:
Hi,

it´s a clean conversion to make it look like a JX, probably to avoid the higher taxes of the 1,9 (the engine code isn´t that obvious as you said Very Happy ).

It would be interesting, if it´s the AAZ head with hydraulic lifters modified to accept the valve cover of the JX or a head from the 1,7 KY with mechanic lifters which of course you´ll have to calibrate from time to time.

Greetings

Hi T3messie. Good to know about the 1.7 KY possibility. Would I be able to find that out very simply? Remove cover? Or does it involve anything with settings that need to be reset to do so? I’m not afraid to explore and replace a gasket or two - but nearest mechanic that would be familiar with these is 1000km away. All the shops in Juneau said “do not bring it here”. No love.
T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9l AAZ in T3 Hose Dead Ends?? Reply with quote

To be 100% sure, you have to remove the cover.
The mechanic lifters have 2 opposite recesses to remove the shims https://www.ebay.de/i/351960885144?chn=ps , the hydraulic ones are just flat in one piece.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9l AAZ in T3 Hose Dead Ends?? Reply with quote

T3messie wrote:
https://www.ebay.de/i/351960885144?chn=ps

Fixed that for you. The '/' goes at the end (just an FYI).

Secondly, I think this should be tied into your other post about the AAZ.

Now, on to the mystery air pump (by the original intake). This is a blower motor specifically for our Diesel Syncros. There is an extra temp sensor on the front of your motor, across from the gauge sensor. This is tied together with the extra water pump, they work together.
When you are 'Syncro-ing' at low speeds, and the cooling system needs some extra help, the air blower blows cool air directly on the turbo. Good luck finding the metal pipe that makes that a reality. I have one, it took me almost two years to find, and I can't fit it because I have a K24 turbo (bigger).

You DO want to have the heat shield in place though:

As mentioned in the other thread, here is my setup:
Extra water pump:

Air Blower:

Spaghetti-Monster wiring:

I hope this helps.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9l AAZ in T3 Hose Dead Ends?? Reply with quote

The head should have a nine plus digit part number cast into it where you can easily find it.

The first 3 digits will show what family the head is from.

068 = 1.6
028 = 1.9
033 = 1.7 (never seen one, going by the parts book)

If an existing part is carried over to a later model it keeps the same base part number so keep that in mind for other parts besides the head.

Mark

Alaskaberrys wrote:
.... Good to know about the 1.7 KY possibility. Would I be able to find that out very simply? Remove cover? Or does it involve anything with settings that need to be reset to do so? I’m not afraid to explore and replace a gasket or two - but nearest mechanic that would be familiar with these is 1000km away. All the shops in Juneau said “do not bring it here”. No love.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9l AAZ in T3 Hose Dead Ends?? Reply with quote

The diesel clutch was overbuilt for slippage, which generates heat. Crossing a river or mud can severely affect a hot clutch when cold water hits it. The diesel Syncro bellhousing was outfitted with extra vents and a snorkel tube out the top. This extra venting is to prevent hot pressurized water, mud and grit from getting pushed backwards through the input shaft oil seal into your soft parts.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9l AAZ in T3 Hose Dead Ends?? Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
The diesel clutch was overbuilt for slippage, which generates heat. Crossing a river or mud can severely affect a hot clutch when cold water hits it. The diesel Syncro bellhousing was outfitted with extra vents and a snorkel tube out the top. This extra venting is to prevent hot pressurized water, mud and grit from getting pushed backwards through the input shaft oil seal into your soft parts.

The Syncro bell housing is sealed to the engine using sealant, when built. There is no way for water to reach the clutch unless the van wades deeper than these vent hoses. I disagree that the clutch is in any way 'overbuilt', it's just enough for a 1.6 but beyond that insufficient for an AAZ or any other more powerful engine. If it slips for any significant time it's toast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9l AAZ in T3 Hose Dead Ends?? Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
... I think this should be tied into your other post about the AAZ.

brurud started the other “Strange AAZ Problem” thread conicedentaly right around the same time. I only hijacked it a bit... Embarassed Agreed it would be good to merge at some point for open ended AAZ issues.

Team WorldTour wrote:
Now, on to the mystery air pump (by the original intake). This is a blower motor specifically for our Diesel Syncros. There is an extra temp sensor on the front of your motor, across from the gauge sensor. This is tied together with the extra water pump, they work together.
When you are 'Syncro-ing' at low speeds, and the cooling system needs some extra help, the air blower blows cool air directly on the turbo. Good luck finding the metal pipe that makes that a reality. I have one, it took me almost two years to find, and I can't fit it because I have a K24 turbo (bigger).

Thanks! I assumed it was to do with the JX. I’ll have to look for the wire to the extra sensor and see if it’s all in place. I’ve got the blower out now and can give it a good once over to see if it works. I won’t be doing any serious ‘syncro-ing’ in the next year or so - tho our dirt road flooded (prone to do that here) and I was wading through 24” of water.

Team WorldTour wrote:
You DO want to have the heat shield in place though:

I don’t think this is installed. There was some tattered insulation wrap around the piping (the orange one in your photo) but no bent metal as shown in yours - if I’m looking at the right thing. Was that easy to find, or did you have it fab’d up?

Team WorldTour wrote:

As mentioned in the other thread, here is my setup:
Extra water pump:

Air Blower:

Spaghetti-Monster wiring:

I hope this helps.

It helps a bunch! Thanks

Is that injection pump from an AAZ then? I can now see the differences from the JX pump I have. How about the valve cover?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9l AAZ in T3 Hose Dead Ends?? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The head should have a nine plus digit part number cast into it where you can easily find it.

The first 3 digits will show what family the head is from.

068 = 1.6
028 = 1.9
033 = 1.7 (never seen one, going by the parts book)

If an existing part is carried over to a later model it keeps the same base part number so keep that in mind for other parts besides the head.

Mark

Thanks, I look for those. I found a five digit series above the block code “23A97” but it’s not on the head. I’ll give it a though search, I need to figure that out - sooner better than later!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9l AAZ in T3 Hose Dead Ends?? Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Gnarlodious wrote:

The Syncro bell housing is sealed to the engine using sealant, when built. There is no way for water to reach the clutch unless the van wades deeper than these vent hoses. I disagree that the clutch is in any way 'overbuilt', it's just enough for a 1.6 but beyond that insufficient for an AAZ or any other more powerful engine. If it slips for any significant time it's toast.

I found this out in the first minute of driving it. Between mal adjusted shifter linkage, heavy footed longshoreman, bad flywheel, an AAZ and a novice driver we smoked a clutch pretty quick. P/O said it was a new clutch less than 1000km ago.... I drive it veeeery gingerly now Smile
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9l AAZ in T3 Hose Dead Ends?? Reply with quote

So, I too had the tatty insulation around the original rubber hose, and NO heat shield. Well, after a loooong hill last summer, and suddenly losing power about 3/4 the way up, I figured out that the rubber hose burnt through Shocked.

So, I bought the heat shield (aftermarket), and the new air hose (silicone, rated for re-entry) and fixed the problem. As you can see here:

The wire for the extra air blower can be seen. This is where you need to look for yours. I have come to the conclusion that mine doesn't function because I have a cooler thermostat installed. (85° as opposed to 87°). I think the switch opens at 90°. I've replaced it twice, and it never works, however if I ground it against the head, it fires right up.... go figure.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9l AAZ in T3 Hose Dead Ends?? Reply with quote

Thanks for that - I had no idea it can get that hot - tho now that I think about it makes perfect sense.

Saving your pictures - It’s great to have pictures with labels. I’m in the process of doing that for our WBX in the Westy to help me learn and talk the wife through any issues. The AAZ is still mostly Greek to me. This helps a lot!

I’m going to see if I can get my “Luftbläser” working too Cool
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9l AAZ in T3 Hose Dead Ends?? Reply with quote

Just in case you haven't seen this forum, it's a great source of info.
You want the IDI engine section.
http://vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php

Another great source is Vince Waldon's page. His info is directed at VW diesel Golfs, but the info is good for the AAZ in your Transporter.
http://vincewaldon.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=14&Itemid=28

I did the "pimp your glow plug" mod and it works terrific.
(click on the little printer icon to see pictures)

Also the 80-90 forum from England has lots of good info, they have many more diesels over there.
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/index.php

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: