Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

I got a VW bug!!!! So exited! First bug I have owned. Really looking forward to the journey.

1960 err, I mean 1961 VW Beetle

Photos when I bought it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First thing that I did last night was to fix the headlights... one wire was installed incorrectly and it was blowing a fuse... all lights working fine now.

First changes that I want to tackle this weekend:
1. Replace one rear wheel bearing
2. Raise the car
3. Replace muffler

More later, just could not wait to share.

Edit: Adding the list of things done and those pending... will continue to update the list as I tackle these tasks...

Photo as of Feb 2, 2019

This car will never be a concourse car… I just want to make it a reliable driver.

Just making a list of pending items. Except for the first one, the rest are not in order of priority:

Pending:

1. Fix fuel line and ignition wire routing
  2. Need to get under the car to validate what type of transmission I have. To determine if it has a reverse switch. If not, I will need to buy speedometer reverse switch and run wires for reverse/backup lights
  3. Paint rims Silver Beige. Will paint them for now...got the paint from WW. Eventually, would like to get them powder coated.
  4. Install inside door window squeegees
  5. Install seat covers. Want to strip the seats and powder coat (or at least paint for now) the frames.
  6. Install headliner. Once this is in place, I can then install the rear side panels
  7. Install new rear window seal and trim. After headliner is in place…
  8. Unclog heat riser (purchased in the classifieds) for stock setup
  9. Install stock carburetor with oil bath air cleaner
  10. Install stock distributor
  11. Correct title in the DMV from 1960 to 1961
  12. Fix/connect windshield wiper motor (also install the voltage drop resistor/heatsink)
  13. Fix windshield washer water system… this one will be fun…
  14. Fix rear lock. For some reason, I cannot turn the key to lock it. I got this new one as a set. If I take it out, I can turn the key without issues... installed, I can only turn the key if in the open position.
  15. Replace wire harness sections as I tackle the different issues.
  16. Remove radio to inspect operation and reinstall.
  17. Have local shop replace/repair any metal needing attention. Replace rear apron for correct one. Repair area in front of rear fenders due to bad patch job..and anything else critical that requires attention.
  18. Buy and install REAL running boards…

Done:

1. Raised
  2. Removed exhaust and replaced both muffler and J-tubes with stainless steel units...
  3. Cheap #@%#@$ running boards installed
  4. Odometer cable
  5. Fuel gauge light socket
  6. Stainless steel moldings
  7. Door window trim replaced
  8. Tag light lens and bulb
  9. Front door panels replaced
  10. Sun visors replaced
  11. Rear-view mirror replaced
  12. New Pop-out windows installed
  13. New steering wheel installed
  14. Front windshield, seal, trim installed
  15. Missing radio. Only put in place for looks (for now)
  16. Headlights and turn signals operational
  17. Stainless steel roof rack installed
  18. New dash grab handle installed
  19. New knobs for switches and ashtray installed
  20. Emergency brake handle fixed
  21. Installed missing bumper brackets/spacers. This fixed the clearance issue between the rear engine lid and the bumper
  22. Broken wheel stud replaced
  23. OG Gas tank cap
  24. Missing gas tank hold-down brackets and bolts installed
  25. Matching keyed ignition switch, door handle, rear engine T-handle installed
  26. Oil change
  27. Billet crankcase cover
  28. Air filter on existing weber replaced
  29. Door rubber seals
  30. Engine lid rubber seal
  31. Replacement driver-side fender replaced and missing horn grill installed
  32. Replaced front turn signals
  33. Replaced rear turn signal lens
  34. Installed glove box basket (was missing the bolt and I had it upside down…)
  35. Replaced glove box door hinge spring
  36. Installed trunk liner
  37. Installed dash back (trunk side) cover
  38. Installed 3-point seat belts for driver and passenger. Went with gray.
  39. Installed assist straps – missing from my car. Got them from WW
  40. Replaced alternator pulley, shims, woodruff key and belt
  41. Installed and connected horn
  42. Replace rear passenger-side wheel bearing. This was something that the PO told me that it needed to be done. When I went in to replace it, it was in good condition, so only replaced seals
  43. Removed bumpers to install rubber grommets. Paint inside of blade in the front bumper. Installed rear-missing support. Install the bumpers back and tightened everything properly.
  44. Replaced rear brake shoes and hardware
  45. Installed support brace for driver side arm rest and installed missing handle springs
  46. Replaced valve cover gaskets
  47. Drivetrain hopping fixed!! Replaced bowden tube and bracket. Replaced the clutch cable and clutch pedal shaft while I was there... oh, and new pedal pads installed as well
  48. Ran wires and installed switch for fog lights

1961 VW Beetle - Ownership Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711372

Last edited by wachuko on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:37 am; edited 7 times in total
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 1960 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Looks like a great start, congratulations and welcome! It'll look even better once you fix the suspension.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: My 1960 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Welcome Wachuko!

1960 is near and dear to me. I’ll be looking forward to your updates and seeing your plans unfold.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: My 1960 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

I saw that listed on FB. Looked decent. There’s a growing VW scene in the area so welcome. What area of Orlando? I run with a couple of guys in the Oviedo area. Hit me up sometime. What are your long term plans?

I guess my buddies and I have broken suspension too. 😂

Mines the 60 on the right.

“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: My 1960 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Thank you for the warm welcome!!

Photos of the interior:

Steering wheel is all cracked... I have seen the videos on how to repair them... but I am just going to order a new one...

Ok, back from the tag agency... it is all legal and registered. Seeing the photos I realized the previous owner forgot to take his tag... I see him this weekend to get a spare driver side fender he has... will give it back then.

So... car metal is solid. That was the main thing that I was looking for since my bodywork skills suck... I can work the rest. I just want a driver for now. Promised myself I would not go crazy trying to restore it... just want to fix the interior and make sure anything mechanical on the outside is working as expected.

Last night, as I was fixing the lights, I was making a list of stuff needing attention. I was also going over a lot of the stuff that is just loose... For example, front trunk lid was not locking and it was just because the catch's bolts were loose... bumpers are all loose, need to adjust all the bolts on the mounts to body and bumper to mount bolts. I need to get more blue and red loctite!!

So this morning, left early, and on my way to work stopped by the local VW auto parts (Triangle Auto Parts here in Orlando)... Got the following:

I really want to get rid of this:

Debated between a stock setup...or the same one I got but in steel (a lot less expensive)... at the end, since I do not plan to get rid of this car, I went with a stainless steel exhaust in the hopes that it last longer while still looking decent...

Stainless steel exhaust

I also got:
  • New rubber seals for trunk lid, engine lid, doors
  • Fender to body seal for that fender that is there right now... no rubber trim on it right now
  • Emergency brake handle (my is missing the mechanism that allows it to lock in position. I will try to fix mine with the internals of the one I bought... if not, the new one goes in completely... wanted to keep the gray painted one that is there right now. Will see how that goes.
  • Rear wheel bearings with the seal/gasket kits
  • Odometer cable (humm, I hope they remember to add the circlip in the bag...
  • Side Molding Kit, Stainless Steel, 7 piece, For Use w/ Wolfsburg Crest - In the photos you can see that the trim on the trunk is longer than it needs to be...I just wanted that strip but ended buying the complete set in stainless steel. Got new clips and seals to replace all of mine
  • Glove box. Plastic box was missing in mine.
  • New bolts for the bumpers. The ones on the bumpers, some were missing, some where fully rusted...
  • Engine lid handle with key
  • Door window trim - I thought I could just buy the rubber squeegee but learned that it is all a complete trim with the aluminum piece
  • Tail/Tag light clear plastic housing with rubber seal.
  • Some spare fuses and light bulbs

Pending things to get:
  • Steering wheel... after seeing a new one at the store, I am not going to try to restore mine...I will just place it on the wall and install the new one in the car. Need to take a look at the car again on the sun light to confirm if it is gray or ivory... I kid you not, I was so tempted to buy it this morning but was not sure of the color... that new wheel looked sooooo nice...
  • Headliner. I was surprised it was not perforated vinyl...also need to decide what color this should be... but I would like to switch it to perforated vinyl... that is what I remember seeing in my dad's car (this is the main reason for getting the VW Bug...the older I get the more I am turning into my father...must be nostalgia for not having here anymore)
  • Seat covers and door panels - would like those to look sharp... will repair the existing panels for now and install some moisture barrier to make them last longer
  • Pop-out side windows - I don't need these... but I sooo want them, lol
  • Driving lights - another thing that I do not need but looks so cool...
  • Period correct looking radio... not high on my priority but to fill that hole in the dash

That is it for now... can't wait to start working on the stuff I got today.

1961 VW Beetle - Ownership Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711372
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: My 1960 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Nice score! Looks like a nice 80's 911 in the garage as well?
Raising the suspension back up a bit isn't a bad idea. I've had some pretty rough experiences daily driving a slammed car, and am hesitant to go that low again.
I've had many cars that are much "better" than the best bug could ever be, but nothing scratches the same itch. It gets in your blood if you let it.
Even friends I've had that said they'd never have another one end up getting one or wishing for one anyway.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: My 1960 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

One thing I’ll suggest and then shut up. Slow your roll on buying a bunch of parts. There are definitely different levels of parts quality. EMPI tends to be lower quality on a lot of parts which is what most places carry. Especially chrome parts. Look at places such as Wolfsburg West or West Coast Metric for new parts, especially the latter for rubber seals. You make also want to look for N.O.S. vs reproduction.

You may also find that you’ll need to modify the trim for the hood to fit over the badge correctly. I did and had to do my buddies as well.

The headliner in 1960 weren’t vinyl but the mouse fur like you have. That looks potentially like the OG headliner. I would also think twice before using loctite. Get the correct size wavy washers to lock the nuts in place.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: My 1960 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I saw that listed on FB. Looked decent. There’s a growing VW scene in the area so welcome. What area of Orlando? I run with a couple of guys in the Oviedo area. Hit me up sometime. What are your long term plans?

I guess my buddies and I have broken suspension too. 😂

Mines the 60 on the right.

Great... right after I make the comment that I do not want to fully restore this car you put a photo of your beautiful ragtop car.... you #$%#$@ Laughing Laughing

I am next to Waterford Lakes... Stoneybrook/Avalon area.

wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: My 1960 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
One thing I’ll suggest and then shut up. Slow your roll on buying a bunch of parts. There are definitely different levels of parts quality. EMPI tends to be lower quality on a lot of parts which is what most places carry. Especially chrome parts. Look at places such as Wolfsburg West or West Coast Metric for new parts, especially the latter for rubber seals. You make also want to look for N.O.S. vs reproduction.

You may also find that you’ll need to modify the trim for the hood to fit over the badge correctly. I did and had to do my buddies as well.

The headliner in 1960 weren’t vinyl but the mouse fur like you have. That looks potentially like the OG headliner. I would also think twice before using loctite. Get the correct size wavy washers to lock the nuts in place.

Never shut up with me... I look forward to the feedback and recommendations of folks that have done this for much longer than I have. All of that is extremely appreciated and you will never do wrong by me by highlighting something or calling me out on a mistake I have made...

I do have an assortment of wavy washers. Will go with that then. I just like using some blue loctite for added safety and it comes off easy if I ever need to take it apart.

I will bookmark Wolfsburg West and West Coast Metric sites for any future parts. Thank you for that. If I am replacing something, might as well do so with something that will last.

Thank you again and do not stop contributing to my thread please.

Last edited by wachuko on Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: My 1960 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

A question I had was on the gap the engine lid has... what should be the correct gap?

This is one I did not touch last night (well, because it was 1:30 am already! ) because I had no clue on what was the correct spec for it. Question

wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: My 1960 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Well, thank you again Sharp64!! I was going to have three keys for the car... Guess what? Wolfsburgwest has a matching set... adding to the wish list. For now will use what I have... but soon... very soon...

Bigjacksauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: My 1960 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

NICE bug.looks like you may have a 61 or newer speedometer and someone added a fuel gauge?
Great advice above of not buying to many parts to quickly. Although I will admit I am guilty of that lol.[/list]
1975 Westfalia bus sold
1967 SO 42 Westfalia Bus

(o\_!_/o)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: My 1960 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

wachuko wrote:
Well, thank you again Sharp64!! I was going to have three keys for the car... Guess what? Wolfsburgwest has a matching set... adding to the wish list. For now will use what I have... but soon... very soon...

If you have original handles and ignition, they may be able to be rekeyed to match. You'll have to take the handles and such off to get at the codes as they are on the inside of the handle on the mechanism that fits inside the doors. If you have an aftermarket ignition or handles, yeah you're better off buying a matching set from WW. 60 had a one year only drivers locking mechanism. If they are in good shape, keep them. If the key slot it vertical, it is OG.

And patina is "in" right now, so don't sweat it. The light blue car on the left of the pic has been more or less fauxtina'd a bit to be made more ratty looking. All in the look you want. My car has its flaws. Its in how your present it.

BTW, there is a show up in Geneva at a place called the Horsepower Ranch. Its an all car show, but supposed to be pretty nice. If you're able/interested, LMK and maybe we will see you up there.
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1960 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
If you have original handles and ignition, they may be able to be rekeyed to match. You'll have to take the handles and such off to get at the codes as they are on the inside of the handle on the mechanism that fits inside the doors. If you have an aftermarket ignition or handles, yeah you're better off buying a matching set from WW. 60 had a one year only drivers locking mechanism. If they are in good shape, keep them. If the key slot it vertical, it is OG.

And patina is "in" right now, so don't sweat it. The light blue car on the left of the pic has been more or less fauxtina'd a bit to be made more ratty looking. All in the look you want. My car has its flaws. Its in how your present it.

BTW, there is a show up in Geneva at a place called the Horsepower Ranch. Its an all car show, but supposed to be pretty nice. If you're able/interested, LMK and maybe we will see you up there.

Door handle had been replaced... that is why I have two keys now... well, now three with the handle I got locally today... yeah, I will get the set in a few months.

wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1960 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Bigjacksauto wrote:
NICE bug.looks like you may have a 61 or newer speedometer and someone added a fuel gauge?
Great advice above of not buying to many parts to quickly. Although I will admit I am guilty of that lol.[/list]

Good to know. I thought that was stock. I need to start reading on differences from year to year to better understand what I have, what is stock, what was modded.

wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1960 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

I should search first before posting questions... so much information already available.

Couple of links on the gap question I had:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=484078

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=654300

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674793

zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1960 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

looks good – Ill echo Bigjacksauto

- you sure its a 60? fuel gauge and grab handle point to a later model
Rear apron is not correct either -tailights look misplaced in the one photo but that could just be the weird angle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1960 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

zabo wrote:
looks good – Ill echo Bigjacksauto

- you sure its a 60? ...

Interesting... that is what the title says... but running the VIN decoder is giving me that it is a 1961.... that is weird...

wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1960 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Engine photos... car is running fine, but that carburetor... missing choke parts??

I got a different cable setup just in case... but I rather continue to use it as is until it gives me an indication of needed attention... that will give me time to figure out what would be a proper setup or what this one is missing to have it all working as it should. Much to learn on my side... much to learn...

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1960 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Post a pic up of under the front trunk lid.

The knob on the lower right dash would have been a choke on a 60, but that motor is a much later dual port motor. Wonder if it has the doghouse oil cooler or not?

Regarding the year. The VIN on the should match in two spots. There is a VIN on the pan under the rear seat. There is a body tag in the inset behind the spare tire. These should match. Florida only cares about the VIN on the pan for title purposes, but good to know what you have. It’s not uncommon to see a body and pan being swapped.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: