Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Elevated Concrete Slab Garage?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Garage built some time mid last century. Its an elevated concrete slab in a two story building, held up by railroad steel on concrete blocks with lally columns in the center. Structural engineer says the slab looks in good shape and structure is solid, but won't recommend parking on it, because he can't possibly know if it was made with rebar reinforcement, etc. without more extensive investigation.

Anyone familiar with construction standards of the mid twentieth century? Can the block be X-rayed, ultrasounded, etc. to determine the presence of proper reinforcement?
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Most utility locators have ground penetrating radar (GPR) that will pick up steel in a slab.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

I'd like to see pics of that.

Also, post your question at the forum at GarageJournal.com and you'll get dozens of responses.
https://www.garagejournal.com/

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

just an idea...

would sweeping the floor with a metal detector will give you some clue of the presence of the rebars?
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

In my part of the world, (Greater Vancouver), the building permit process, even back to the early 1970's (and maybe earlier) required lodging of blueprints with the building inspector's office. For my previous house, I got the 1970 blueprints (shrunken photocopies, but readable) from city hall to allow me to renovate.

Having said that, there were numerous instances on that house in which the builder departed significantly from the blueprints. YMMV.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Getting an engineer to certify 50 year old concrete is going to be tough

The creep aging process was actually only identified about 10 years ago at MIT using some our stuff
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

I would think that a common metal detector would identify sreel in your concrete.

And I agree...... photos! We need photis!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Any answer to this poses a serious liability.

Did you look around the edges for signs of steel? Not that that would make it ok to pile 5k lbs on there.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

I can tell you how to do this all cowboy for cheap but all the other engineers out there trying to make a living will be mad at me.

Your worries will be gone, wallet still heavy, sleep well at night, but you won’t have any paperwork (if what you need is an engineer stamp).

A few photos will help to ensure my method is sound.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Really?
How strong is railroad rail?

It has been bent around curves, confirms to the ups and downs of the railroad bed.

It has been hardened, but can it support a lot of weight on a free span?

Railroad ties are what? A foot, maybe sixteen inches apart?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Railroad ties are what? A foot, maybe sixteen inches apart?

A railroad car weighs what? Sixty, maybe 75 Vanagons?
A locomotive weighs what? Eighty, maybe 100 Vanagons? Wink

Haiku:

You know steel is real
Rail section is an I-beam
steel is frickin’ strong

But you’re right it does depend how much is there and how its used.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Pics will be incoming, once I get back out there. Garage is in need of a general rehab, so they won't be pretty. Embarassed
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Our 1936 house has two steel I-beams spanning the foundation in the basement. I suspect the OP may just have regular I-beams, rather than RR hardware. Can't say as I've ever seen an elevated concrete garage floor. It's seems hard to imagine someone building such a structure without including rebar in the pour.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Our 1936 house has two steel I-beams spanning the foundation in the basement. I suspect the OP may just have regular I-beams, rather than RR hardware. Can't say as I've ever seen an elevated concrete garage floor. It's seems hard to imagine someone building such a structure without including rebar in the pour.

And with no rebar in the pour it would NOT be standing 50 years later, even if it was a slab on the ground it would be pretty cracked up at 50 years old with no bar.

You know what they say, some concrete cracks, and so will the rest of it Wink

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Agreed that it likely has some level of reinforcing to be able to be still there 50 years later. Concrete does not hold up well suspended without something to keep it together. It is really good in compression but lousy in tension. As a slab sags the bottom portion will be in tension and that is where it will start to crack, propagate to the top, and then parts fall off.

The problem will be to do some minimally destructive testing in an area to see what is there. If you work with a decent structural guy, likely an old timer who's seen a lot, they could help with what area to pick away at until you expose the reinforcing. Then you have to assume that the whole slab is that way. Then you have to get a Professional Engineer (PE) willing to stake his license on that assumption. (This assumes that your local gov't requires a PE seal)

It will be very difficult and likely expensive to get that old slab sealed as meeting some standard by a PE.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

(It may be cheaper to look at pouring a new slab on top of the old one and add whatever supports are needed in the basement to support it.)

Dave O (PE in real life)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

X2 with Dave. I'd whack some holes here and there and pour a pad down underneath and then some support. Another advantage of at least one hole is with a light and mirror you can see if the underside looks OK and get an idea of reinforcing as well as how thick she be.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

There are non-destructive tools that can be used to view the rebar in the slab.
Poking holes in it is not the approach I would take. Vanagon forum on the Samba also isn't the place I would expect to find the best answers about suspended slabs and how best to determine their structural soundness.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Agree with the above. As stated in post #2 GPR is common and is routinely used in this application. The machine is kinda like a lawn mower in size. To have a locator do this might cost $300 or so.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Might be worth getting a Walabot. According to this video, it will see steel pipe in concrete so I suppose it would see rebar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS1BrBnaIfU
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

What was this garage used for over the last 70 years? What shape is the crete in? Common sense can tell you a lot. I would have no issues using a garage for what its intended for regardless of what an engineer will or will not certify. A SE is all about liability. Will this garage calc with current building codes, most likely not. Has it had housed a Cadillac since 1950 and is still level and intact?

Another useless tidbit of information.. I have seen light gauge rail used as reinforcing steel in concrete lintels in San Francisco buildings. I love forensic contracting.

J
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: