Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Well, it's been really teaching me some life lessons and lessons on limits and lessons on not cheapening out.

I went on a great trip down to Pisgah National Forest with my brother (he's on the left) back in April for some mountain biking and I really pushed the motor too hard on the way back. I was pushing it as hard as it could go for 8+ hours and with an hour to go it was not happy. We took the back roads the rest of the way to stay out of traffic, as long as it was moving temps were ok.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So I dropped the motor and trans.
A lot of my rear CV bolts were snapped and missing or in the process of snapping. I torque them to 33ftlbs, but the threads are greasy and I assume they were overtorqued. But how to keep those threads clean?

and then it sat for a long time.

After a month or two of looking at it and wondering why I do this to myself I started taking it apart

And then it sat for a long time.

The heads had a lot of pitting. First I used a razor to clean up the surfaces as best as I could. Then I used JB weld to fill all the pits. Then I taped sandpaper to a glass weight scale and used that as a flat finishing surface to clean up the heads.

After JB weld applied, pre sanding flat

Apparently I did not take a pic of it post sanding, but I remember being fairly ok with the results.

I painted a few things. The intake manifold got a fresh coat of paint. I coated the rusty exhaust in 3M Mar-Hyde. I am interested to see how it does with the heat. I will report back on it's progress. I put the AC compressor on the motor.

I ran new lines to the AC condenser. I used the original R12 condenser since my confidence in getting it right on the first go is low. I'll replace it with an R134a version if/when I do a motor swap in the future.

And I added a good condition replacement evaporator/blower from Dave O.

And then it didn't sit so long.

Yesterday the motor went back in the van.

My confidence in the water jackets and fire rings not leaking is about 4/10. Hell, my confidence that it cranks over and doesn't just break is about about a 5/10. But what can I do at this point but to keep going? My plan is to get the fuel and electronics connected up first. If it turns on and lives, I'll add coolant and axles and the rest.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Glad to see you back in the saddle (almost).

That CV bolt looks to be some sort of cheap knock off bolt. Did it come from a usual Vanagon vendor?

I've never cleaned the CV bolt holes of grease in over 40 years of servicing lots of CVs and torque to 36 ft lbs in increments (10, 20, 36) and have not had anything break. YMMV. Only have used original bolts or ones from a reputable vendor though.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Is there any markings on that bolt head? You would see them looking at the "socket end". You need "12.9" bolts for 36 ft-lbs.

dobryan wrote:
I've never cleaned the CV bolt holes of grease in over 40 years of servicing lots of CVs and torque to 36 ft lbs in increments (10, 20, 36) and have not had anything break. YMMV. Only have used original bolts or ones from a reputable vendor though.

Hundreds of vans are done like this and it is "the way".

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
VeeDubDaySpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

a cheap torque wrench could do that too. I needed one on the fly for some CV bolts and stopped at harbor freight, it was such a piece of crap torque wrench I opted to do the torquing by hand
79 bay window OLIVER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

I have a fairly expensive torque wrench. But the providence of the bolts is certainly in question. They came with the chinese axles. I have replaced them with bolts from Ace Hardware. I will double check they are 12.9 though.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

I like getting bolts like that from the old school NAPA near me. They’ve always been super high quality and affordable. Just a suggestion.

PM me if you ever decide to come to the Pisgah again, I’ll be a tour guide gladly. Yes, it’ll be better than Trailforks.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Order those bolts from Belmetrics to make sure you get real 12.9s
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
PM me if you ever decide to come to the Pisgah again, I’ll be a tour guide gladly. Yes, it’ll be better than Trailforks.

I'll take you up on that. Coming down Black Mountain to 276 was one of the best rides I've ever done. Avery Creek is certainly a close second. I was in Pisgah last weekend too! Although I took the Volvo XC40 I bought while the van was down. I'll certainly be back regularly, hopefully in the van next time.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Update on using Mar-Hyde rust converter on exhaust. Terrible idea and I probably have lung damage now. It burns off with a terrible cloud of smoke that made my lungs hurt as I ran away from it. My lungs even hurt a few days later. Probably going to get lung cancer in 20 years now. So definitely no Mar-Hyde on your exhaust!

I filled it up with oil and I think I overfilled the motor because I instantly got oil just pouring out of the valve covers. Maybe the gaskets got dry sitting as well? Either way, it eventually stopped leaking. Hopefully it still has oil, haha.

The AC lines I had redone and they had put the wrong fitting on one end of the lines. They said they were going to remake the line. I didn't even think to line up the lengths of the new hose, but it really looks like they cut the wrong fitting off and then added another fitting, making the hose too short. So that really sucks. I moved the dryer over so now it is aligned with the right chassis bolt hole in the left air dryer bolt hole. Charcoal filter is zip tied out of the way. Terrible to spend this much effort on the AC system and the last connection didn't fit.

And it runs!

A nice day out and I decide to bleed the coolant. This was a great day because coolant was leaking from a dozen different spots. In fact, one hose right below the steering pump wasn't even connected! Coolant everywhere. Glad I did this outside. So added that hose back in and tightened many hose clamps. But, it looked like the thermostat housing itself is cracked and leaking coolant. Dejectedly, I gave up for the day.

The next day I put it on the lift and confirm that it is still collecting coolant drops at the crack at the bottom of the thermostat. So I took this picture and then I realized it's not the crack that is leaking, it is the hose above it.

I also went back to picture I took of when I added the Epoxy Steel to the thermostat housing and checked to see if the crack affected performance. It does not, it cracked because I should have flattened/squared off the area the bolt holds against. Next time it comes off I'll fix it. You can see that the bolt doesn't sit flush in the above picture.

I bought zip ties that plug into the holes in the engine bay to clean up the wiring and I'm really happy with the end result.

Getting this mess back and covered up with the one AC line under non optimal routing due to lack of length was quite a pain, but I finally managed to smush it all under the cover.

Bleeding the coolant with the Vanistan heater valve mod is such a cinch. I don't even have any pictures. I fill the coolant reservoir and aux coolant tank and then go for a short drive. I let the system cool and draw the aux coolant tank down, refill both tanks and drive again. After a few days, it's fully bled. No libby bong or vacuum system or 15 degree angles needed. Just topping it off a few consecutive times.

And then putting the van to use!

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Yaay for being on the road again! Very Happy

The Western Syncro build
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

I've been driving it around for the last 6 months but I've been getting 12mpg and I can't figure out why. And it's burning a quart of oil a tank, which is about 180-200 miles at 12mpg. I'm not throwing more money and time at this motor.

So I'm going to throw more money and time at a different motor.

I picked it up off the Samba from a guy named Steve who teaches auto tech and his students refreshed this motor. They took this one mostly down and put it back together. New head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, timing belt, and exhaust valve seats I believe. Still very dirty and it looks like the oil pan gasket wasn't replaced, so replacing that and cleaning it are on my short list. It's already on an engine stand and it'll be seeing a lot of brakekleen and scrubbing soon.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

You'll need a shortened oilpan anyway.
I'd go smallcar on that fershure.

RMW engine mounts and exhaust prevent re-mounting your engine protection.
Almost 100% blockage.
Although you can still run the driiveshaft protection.
It's OK for 2WD and street Syncros.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Wheee!!!! Let the fun begin.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

I wanted to one last trip on the wbx. Spent a few days in the Shenandoah area driving around. Probably did about 300 miles. It ran well aside from 13mpg, which I honestly think is the Chinese injectors I installed. I think they are oversized.

Did a quick hike up to Mary's Rock. Of course I had to park next to "No Busses Allowed Past this Point"

Didn't go in, but stopped for a pic

The weather wasn't as nice the second day

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Some packages arrived from RMW.

Cool

Now I need to send back my wiring harness and coolant manifold.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Kaching! Laughing

The Western Syncro build
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Fun stuff to have projects arrive.
But being an incorrigible off-road Syncro guy (myself), and the syncro engine being 1” lower than a 2wd.
I’d feel kinda vulnerable without sump & header protection.
Which you can’t do with the RMW conversion.

Curious what are your thoughts on that.
I have another RMW converted Syncro friend trying to figure out how to work this out.
He didn’t know at the time how much Syncro fun was ahead and has been bashing stuff in the meantime (perhaps more incorrigibly than I).
I tried to help design “something” but couldn’t imagine a way to do it.
Any structure that will protect the bits would be a monstrosity hanging
under the van, visible from 20 yds away and perhaps a liability in itself.

The other way to look at it is, “no protection - gentle off-road only”.
My “off-roading” for example- is kinda rad for an “RV”
but gentle for a “Jeep”.
A good driver can manage - and decline when necessary.
Which is the case for most Syncros anyway.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a problem for future me to fix for sure. I didn't even bother ordering the modified oil pan, so it'll really hang low for now. I will eventually start modifying it, but first get it moving under a new power plant and assess the situation.

I don't plan on doing any real off roading in this thing, tbh. The second I lift a tire is the second I am reassessing what I am doing. As someone who has sunk vehicles in 3' of mud before (and gotten out!), I have zero desire to do that to a van.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

I have seen images of people poking a hole in the stock oil pan from backing into a parking spot and hitting the concrete parking block. They hang fairly low so keep that in mind, you don't have to huck it over a boulder to find out.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: The "great-life-lesson-on-limits-and-not-cheapening-out" Syncro Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I don't plan on doing any real off roading in this tbh. The second I lift a tire is the second I am reassessing what I am doing.

But you have a locker.
Meaning that if a tire has lifted, you have recently locked the diff.
So tbh, by then you have to admit intent to off-road. Wink Wink

Come out west for some fun, its not just mud out here!!👍🏽👍🏽
Theres some pretty cool places to go, and puckering in the drivers seat might help.
But you will need to get a shorter oilpan.
Just imagine a rebar sticking half an inch up above the top of a parking berm.
But you will have a couple inches more ground clearance than I do.

I avoid mud if I can. Surprised
There’s no point following 37” tires with 28”.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: