Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement Antenna
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Replacement Antenna Reply with quote

My radio reception is terrible. The stock antenna is there but the hold down barrel is broken and the unit can now be over extended. I am afraid that there is some disconnect that is preventing full signal, though from the full retracted position to extended it obtains a stronger signal.

On-line I see 2 different antennas available for our vans. One is about $50 and other other $20. Is there much of a difference between these 2?

Anyone replace their antenna and might have some insight.
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Antenna Reply with quote

I had replaced mine with the $50 version and it was fine. When I was having a broken windshield replaced, the dude broke the antenna. He replaced it with a $20 version, it too was fine.
I’ve replaced a few and I don’t think it’s difficult. Battery cover gets removed and you have to really reach in to remove. There should be a bit of antenna wire coming through the firewall from the radio, there is a coupler to reconnect the new one, at least there was in mine.
Good luck, but I’m not real sure it will fix your problem since mine still worked even with the broken antenna.
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Antenna Reply with quote

Make sure your connection is clean and tight. Including the groumd
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Antenna Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:
My radio reception is terrible. The stock antenna is there but the hold down barrel is broken and the unit can now be over extended. I am afraid that there is some disconnect that is preventing full signal, though from the full retracted position to extended it obtains a stronger signal.

On-line I see 2 different antennas available for our vans. One is about $50 and other other $20. Is there much of a difference between these 2?

Anyone replace their antenna and might have some insight.

I see several from China on eBay for $16+. Where are you seeing the $20 antenna,...is it a US trusted vendor?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Antenna Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:

I see several from China on eBay for $16+. Where are you seeing the $20 antenna,...is it a US trusted vendor?

Probably the China ones imported to the US then upcharged for their effort.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Antenna Reply with quote

subdewd wrote:
Make sure your connection is clean and tight. Including the groumd

I think it will go through the connection and make sure it is clean and tight before replacing. Thanks for the tip.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Antenna Reply with quote

I replaced the Sony Explode that can with the EVC, recently with a cheap "dual" brand stereo. Crutchfeild special. The old Sony was CD player only and the tuner would not bring in any stations. The CD player didn't even play mp3s. This made it almost worthless, as I couldn't use a tuner BT adataptor, nor could I play any of my old MP3 coded disk. I could only play CDs which I now only have very few. The Dual unit was MP3/cd, and bluetooth. The tuner worked but not well.

2 weeks ago the stereo would not turn on intermittently. Pissed as it was only installed for about 1.5 months. It was about about 15 days past the 60 day return period. I spent another week or 2 to test the stereo to make sure it was getting power when the unit would not turn on.

After confirmation I call Crutchfeild and they allow me to return, and replace with another generic brand "Boss" unit. THese days it is hard to find a BT unit that also has a CD player. Ok not hard but limited. I still wanted to have teh CD playing option as we still have a decent supply of my old music and books on "disk" from the library for road trips.

The unit is suppose to come in today and I will install and mess with the antenna.

Oh the never ending joys of vehicle maintenance.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Antenna Reply with quote

My EV is totally missing the antenna!

Bought it that way.

Was the original antenna amplified? Did it require a separate power wire, or was the power supplied from the original radio?

In looking at ebay ads, I did see some that were stated as amplified, but didn't see a power wire. I know my old VW Corrado's amplified antenna had a separate power wire, while I don't think my '02 Golf had a separate wire.

My radio is a cheap Dual unit; how could I supply power to the antenna if it isn't a separate wire? What was the I *think* there is the original wire from inside the fender to the radio, but am not 100% sure. What are the connections on this wire like?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Antenna Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
My EV is totally missing the antenna!

Bought it that way.

Was the original antenna amplified? Did it require a separate power wire, or was the power supplied from the original radio?

In looking at ebay ads, I did see some that were stated as amplified, but didn't see a power wire. I know my old VW Corrado's amplified antenna had a separate power wire, while I don't think my '02 Golf had a separate wire.

My radio is a cheap Dual unit; how could I supply power to the antenna if it isn't a separate wire? What was the I *think* there is the original wire from inside the fender to the radio, but am not 100% sure. What are the connections on this wire like?

I do not think that the original antenna is amplified. Just a regular ol stick. No where on the antenna or the wiring harness for the HU has a provision for an amp.

If you do install an amp'ed unit you can split the power lead for some +12 voltage.

As an update I bought the $20 replacement unit off of amazon but have yet to install. I discovered that if I extend my antenna fully I will get decent reception. And by fully I mean till it will not extend any further, not 1/4" before. I find this odd as I have never experienced this before. As if there is some electrical connection made only when the unit if fully expended. This could be due to the fact that my OE antenna has broken base and portion of the base ride up on the antenna shaft. I think it also extends further than it should. The van was snowed on a few weeks ago and it pushed the antenna down slightly and I lost radio reception. It works currently and is delaying me in installing the new unit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085R8C2LK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Antenna Reply with quote

Last night I replaced the antenna. Though the connection was clean and tight the center pin of the coaxial type cable on the antenna side was too far back. IT made for a poor connection. Not sure if the broken antenna being able to extend past the original stop caused it. Wouldn't think so as it would extend an additional 6 inches and the cable pin was only a 1/4" back. Also do not know why fully extending the antenna would give me better reception. Jiggling the connector itself yielded the best results when testing.

Anyways once I connected the new antenna I got good receptions. It was not even installed. Not sure what is grounded. Everything signal wise is done through the cable. The body of the antenna doesn't even need to contact the car to work.

As far as the antenna itself. The unit I linked is pretty cheap when compared to the OE. The extendable shaft is much thinner. Works and fits fine though. When the lock nut is fully torqued down the last section of antenna is difficult to extend.
Salem7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Antenna Reply with quote

This is the closest forum post that I can find to my issue. I have terrible reception in my 1995 EVC. I have switched antennas, tried an amplified one, tried cheap radios, expensive JVC and Sony CD bluetooth units. Still terrible, weak reception. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you had this issue how did you solve it?

1995 Eurovan Camper
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Antenna Reply with quote

What I have found is that certain upgrades, namely DC-DC chargers that connect to the start battery, produce RF hash that attenuates FM radio reception. In my case, I can get great or terrible reception from the stock antenna based on how the antenna feedline is related to the start battery. Disconnecting the Renogy DC-DC charger makes the problem disappear.

Do you have any special charging equipment? I should also note that the DC power supplies of dash cameras will also cause this same attenuation. I have also seen poor quality headlight relays contribute to the problem.

I would start by experimenting with disconnecting any DC accessories and checking your reception.

kourt
Salem7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Antenna Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestions. The only DC accessory I have is a back up camera. The issue existed before that was installed. I replaced the old power supply a while back but the issue preexisted that. I will take a look at my wiring diagrams With the engine not running and shore power not connected should reception be better?

1995 Eurovan Camper
Salem7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Antenna Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestions. The only DC accessory I have is a back up camera. The issue existed before that was installed. I replaced the old power supply a while back but the issue preexisted that. I will take a look at my wiring diagrams With the engine not running and shore power not connected should reception be better?

1995 Eurovan Camper
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Antenna Reply with quote

For me, in these situations, the A/B testing scenario involves pulling fuses and cutting accessories while the radio is on and testing for change in suppression.

It may all be a dead end and you've got another problem. In that case, "other antennas" are always cheaply had on Amazon, but I haven't had much luck with those, either.

My fixes have mostly involved the use of special toroids, with the DC circuits wound around them at least ten times, and nearest the source of the RF has as possible.

kourt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: