Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 Type 34 Parts
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JVetter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

Towed my Dad's 1963 Type 34 to my house for restoration. Been sitting for 25 or 30 years (garage kept).
Question is what, if any, US imported VW's had the flat-four 1500cc engine in them that I can use as a cross-reference when buying parts for the engine or trans-axel? I'm new at this...

Thanks
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

Nothing really converts except early 61-65 type 3s, and none of them were imported into the USA by VW. All of the early type 3s and T-34's were brought into the USA by private people and a couple of dealers "in the know".
That said you might want to look thru the technical section of the site (click on the technical button in the upper right of the page, then click on owners manuals. about 3/4ths of the way down (maybe slightly more) you'll find the parts manuals. Toward the bottom of them is the typ 34 section, but it's mostly all body related. I only say that as I used the parts manual for my own 64 T-34 when I rebuilt it. The upper part of the parts book covers regular t-3 parts which is what the T-34 is based on. Depending on what you need, you might try asking here in this thread you started. Some guys like Joel ( Boo-Koo-Z ) have type 3 parts, and some guys like Jason (Notchboy) have both type 3 and type 34 parts available. Some here might have what you need as well, as this community is one of the best on this site for helping others. I know I got a lot of help and some parts from others who just donated. What exactly are you looking for as far as the engine and trans go? You can bump up the engine to a 1600, which could make finding some parts easier. Swing axle boots are the same as a bug, ghia , and type 3.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
JVetter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I’ll check it out.

Frankly I don’t know what I need yet. I haven’t worked on a VW since I owned a 68 bug as my first car in the mid-70’s. I’m looking for something to guide me through installation of the transaxle and engine. That will help me figure out what I need.
I’ve zero’ed in on early-60’s type 3’s because I think they have a similar engine/transaxle combination.
My father, an ex-aircraft mechanic, rebuilt the engine in the early 90’s and pulled the trans-axle to replace the seals. My mom got cancer, he put it aside, and never picked it back up.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

JVetter wrote:
Thanks for the response. I’ll check it out.

Frankly I don’t know what I need yet. I haven’t worked on a VW since I owned a 68 bug as my first car in the mid-70’s. I’m looking for something to guide me through installation of the transaxle and engine. That will help me figure out what I need.
I’ve zero’ed in on early-60’s type 3’s because I think they have a similar engine/transaxle combination.
My father, an ex-aircraft mechanic, rebuilt the engine in the early 90’s and pulled the trans-axle to replace the seals. My mom got cancer, he put it aside, and never picked it back up.

A lot of it will be like your old 68 bug. Not sure of which seals he might have been wanting to replace, other than the trans input seal, the nose cone paper gasket, nose cone bushing seal, or the axle boots and axle end cover gaskets. Possibly rear hub axle seal kits as well. A lot would depend on where the leak is/was.
A Haynes type 3 manual will help you with the running gear portion (engine and trans), otherwise you need the big Blue Bentley that covers the T-34 and 67 and earlier type 3s.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

Where in TX are you JVetter? I'm up in Round Rock.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
JVetter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips on manuals. That will help me get my head back in the game.
JVetter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

Lawn Ninja - I am in Aledo, just west of Fort Worth
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

JVetter, welcome. What better project than to pick up the family T34. Very cool indeed.

Pics. We gona need some pics of what you have brother. Youtube can get you rolling. Asking questions here and waiting for a reply. Having Lawn Ninja over for a beer.

Parts pop up from time to time. The generic drivetrain stuff is easy. The unique stuff, not so much. When it does, open your wallet and get ready for a bit of a sting. T34s popularity has gone nutz lately. They are at similar pricing to Porsche 356 stuff.

Have a facebook account? Make sure you do and join - https://www.facebook.com/groups/180923175271409

Most parts get floated around social media. The go fast there since its like droppin chum in a shark tank.

Did I say post pics of what you got? Wink Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

I'm down in Houston, sold my T34 a long while back. There is a sticky at the top of the page with lots of type 3 info. mechanical stuff will be same as a notchback, also not available here. parts show up in the classifieds as mentioned, put up wanted ads too. https://vwispwest.com/ is the shop with more type 3 and type 34 parts than anyone else, and they have an employee that regularly replies here. Yes pics and best of luck. If you start a new thread specifically about your car restoration, you will get followers and people will help with parts. Read Bob's T34 thread in your spare time Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

I'm confused,
Do you have the original motor and trans or have they gone missing?

On a car like that, I'd do anything you could to get the original stuff,
Rather than some other that wasn't original to the car..

What’s That Noise?!?
JVetter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

Will post photos tonight or this weekend.

I have the entire car, just that the engine, axle were removed. Getting it towed to my house from my father's house was EXPENSIVE as a result, but they did it without damaging the car.
JVetter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

ooooooh that is going to clean up nicely. I would preserve what you have and NOT "restore" it aka restroy
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

I would try and keep as much original as you can. She looks like it's in nice shape and has all the "good parts".

I had a t34 that lived in Texas, first in SA then in Round Rock (BTW, so did my mother in law). No rust, but the seals and interior were fried.

The only thing I can see is that broken check strap dent. I'd take it to a body guy with really good skills and get that fixed. Try to keep that original paint!.

BUT, it's your car. That's only what I would do.

Da weiss man, was man hat!

68 Karmann Ghia Sunroof / auto T345
66 Standard Microbus T221
66 1200a Standard 115 with factory ragtop
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

JVetter wrote:

OK NOW you got my Attention 👍😁

Pacific Blue ???
Or Polar Blue

Very Nice
I Agree with Eric and Reay

Just clean it up

If you want the Correct and Complete Upholstery
Let me Know

And Again Just Clean it up 👍😁🍺
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JVetter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips. I intend to keep it as original as possible. First order of business is to get the basic mechanics working. All I need now is time.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

does the engine turn over as is? I would take pics first, then drain, remove the tins, the heads, see what shape the pistons are literally and what kind of shape they are in overall. it looks to be a 64 or later dual carb motor. It has the earlier bolt on shroud top. 64 and 65 dual carb carb motors could have a domed piston with a higher compression for more power. you'll want to inspect and clean the heads up, new pushrod tubes, new intake and exhaust gaskets, I would blow out the oil cooler and change those seals. button it up and see what it does. These engines were not generally worked to death like so many buses were, I have had good success doing the above clean up

so that brings up, dual carb motor, are you sure it's a 63 not a 64? these are commonly titled incorrectly, a year earlier, when bringing them to the US privately. My 64 Notchback was mistitled a 63. Anything built August 1963 and newer should be titled as a 1964 model. Vin #'s are in the technical section here, the number listed is the last car that month : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/serialnumberst34.php

the trans though... do you have one? these were the fastest VW's produced in their time, you'll want that same gear ratio. There are some good transmission builders on this site regardless, but would be better to rebuild the correct one.

looking forward to more pics of this car
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

I would work at preserving everything you can on that. The car looks really clean and solid. If you need someone to rebuild the motor, I'm just down in Round Rock. What are the numbers on the motor? I would think the trans would be fairly easy to find on that group that Notchboy suggested on Facebook. Like Erik G said try to find the correct trans.

If you're into doing it yourself, cool. But if you want someone to do the cleanup and drivetrain install let me know.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

Ok
I know late 63s
Do have a 64 engine compartment

Or is a 63 small compartment
And that Dual Engine came from another car

I’m asking this before you restore the engine
With the Duals and Avoid to cut the engine compartment
Take a picture of your compartment to see wish one you have
We Can’t Help just by One Picture posted in this thread

If You Really want Help
Work with Us to give As Much
Info and Suggestions we Can
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Type 34 Parts Reply with quote

pedro sainz wrote:
JVetter wrote:

OK NOW you got my Attention 👍😁

Pacific Blue ???
Or Polar Blue

Very Nice
I Agree with Eric and Reay

Just clean it up

If you want the Correct and Complete Upholstery
Let me Know

And Again Just Clean it up 👍😁🍺

What are the 4 lug drums off of? Was your dad planning on doing a trans swap? If that's the engine the car came with, then either someone swapped out the single carb for duals. Or it's a later car (64).
I do agree with Erik and Reay, and just clean it up. It looks real good and should make for a nice cruiser. It's a survivor car. The expensive stuff will be the T-34 only rubber. BTDT. If you want, you can spend some time going thru my T-34 build thread in my signature. I warn you, you'll want a few beers when you go thru it, as mine was in worse condition. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: