Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Dang this thing is going to be a highway killer!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Nice Rich. Enjoy!

Link

(Rich understands classic hiphop, it’s not an insult )

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

^Nice Xevin! You know in the land of the Southwest Patina is king.

Drove the car to the ski resort today. Felt good to be back in it, on the highway racing the other cars. 😂

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wasn’t happy with the oil pressure readings I was getting after the engine was nice and warm this morning. It was within reason, but too low for my liking. So I switched it to 20/50 and went for a rip. Drove the shit out of it on some winding mountain roads out in the country. Seems to be more in the realm that I like now. I’ve been in contact with the builder, I’ll keep my eye on it, do some trending and go from there. Builder says, it’s fine 🤩

I also put the old rear tires on the front, they were a lot newer and have more tread on them. I also adjusted the brakes and the shifter.

The car is nice and tight and a blast to drive!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

By a show of hands up.
Who didn't think the first place Rich drove his car to, was the ski resort? Very Happy

Nice to see it back on the road!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Any updates Rich? What difference do you feel with the new engine vs the old engine?

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Any updates Rich? What difference do you feel with the new engine vs the old engine?

Well, the new engine definitely has more power. It’s crazy!

The engine is smooth and nicely balanced, the transaxle shifts like a dream, the KEP grabs nicely, the VS shifter is smooth and a shorter throw then the EMPI kit I was using with the stock shifter. The suspension is a lot better too.

All in all the ar is 100% better then it was when it went in the shop on November.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Well, the new engine definitely has more power. It’s crazy!

The engine is smooth and nicely balanced, the transaxle shifts like a dream, the KEP grabs nicely, the VS shifter is smooth and a shorter throw then the EMPI kit I was using with the stock shifter. The suspension is a lot better too.

All in all the ar is 100% better then it was when it went in the shop on November.

That’s awesome. You put a lot of TLC in that car. Good for you man.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Let’s give an update on the car. I’ve been cycling a lot because I’m training for 3 races. When I ride I drive my bus, so I’ve been I’ve been switching back and forth between the car and the bus. The car is pretty amazing, my builder says it’s not going to break in because a lot of the components were previously tested. But, to me it seems like it is loosening up and producing more power. It’s currently getting 18 mpg, that’s with warm ups and driving it pretty aggressively. When I do the first service I’m gonna change out the air correction jets from 1.80 to 2.00. That should help with the milage a bit.

The carbs were boiling after a bit shut down. So I’ve started adding Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel. It has made a difference and I didn’t notice any boiling today.

Today I drove it to the ski resort. The car destroyed the drive, it was such a blast. Cruised 70+ the whole way. Passed many modern cars with ease. When we arrived at the resort, I parked and idled for a bit. Oil temp was 180° and the oil pressure was at 10 psi. The oil temp sensor is machined into the sump. At first I didn’t like this, but now I like it. It gives me an accurate reading of oil that’s getting sucked up. Well, as accurate as a VDO gauge/sensor can be.

Interior and disc brakes are on my radar.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

It was super nice out today. After my afternoon bike ride I decided to change out the air correction jets. I will report any changes, whether they are positive or negative.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Good day wrenching on the car. After my ride this morning I hooked the car up to the truck and towed it to the shop. At the shop I did the first service on the engine. I retorqued the heads, adjusted the valves (all were tight except for #1 intake, it was perfect). I changed the oil, 5 qts of Castrol 20/50 and a 1/2 bottle of Lucas Zink additive. I decided to go with the bigger filter instead of the shorty, so I put a Wix 51515 on. I pulled the carb windows and adjusted the carbs, they were a bit rich. I also adjusted the rear brakes since I had the rear in the air. I like hanging out at the shop. The Machinist was building a 1955cc for another customer while I was there.

I figured out I have VS Sport exhaust, not a a Super Flow as I previously thought.

Samba member Brian_e PMed me last night with a link to a set of .020” over cam bearings. That’s was a nice surprise! When I showed up to the shop I made sure my case was still there, then I ordered the bearings. So now I have a AS41 case that cut for 94s, line bored .040” over with 8mm case savers. That’s a win! I also have a CB 76mm crank, 5.5 CB Hbeam rods and a set of IDF40s. Damn near an engine.

On Saturday I bought a Euro 1963 Beetle. Maybe it a deluxe? 🤷‍♂️

I also bought a 1974 Beetle from the same folks, I pick this car up on Friday. This car has a complete engine, so I guess I’ll have all the bolt on parts I need to go with the case, crank, rods and carbs I already have. Winning!

At the shop

Towing the 1963 on Saturday

The 1974

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

That 63 looks like a solid car! What are your plans for those cars?
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

The ‘63 is a super nice car. I believe it’s gonna go to my Machinist in a trade for another car. As for the ‘74, I’m gonna pull the motor and sell the car. I’ll probably sink that money into my ‘65. I’d like to get the beam done, add disc brakes and redo the upholstery.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

The Monsta got some buddies, a ‘63 and a ‘74

Both cars are for sale. I gotta clean them up, take some pics and post some ads.

Complete 1600 DP, I do have the PICT34 carb as well. Anyone know what the exhaust is?

The Monsta with the wings up at the ski resort this morning.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Complete 1600 DP, I do have the PICT34 carb as well. Anyone know what the exhaust is?

The one on left side for $43.95. I don't know the brand, but it was offered by JC Whitney well into the '90's. glutamodo gallery of the '92 catalog.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Anyone know what the exhaust is?

LOUD!!!!!!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Jump to:
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: