Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric vehicles are bad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 230, 231, 232 ... 234, 235, 236  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Electric bill for a 30 mile daily commute, $20-30 per month

Gas bill for same per month $60 in a 30 mpg car

It used to be cheap to rent/own in Brooklyn.

Monthly parking Brooklynn], $20 a day or 70 cents per mile for thst same commute. Crazy to commute daily there in a personal vehicle

I can’t even park at my daughters place for a week travel cheaper than what Lyft charges me to drive me to the airport from Stony Brook
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Xevin wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Monthly parking Brooklynn], $20 a day or 70 cents per mile for thst same commute. Crazy to commute daily there in a personal vehicle

I can’t even park at my daughters place for a week travel cheaper than what Lyft charges me to drive me to the airport from Stony Brook

“Manhattan vs Brooklyn Rents and Home Prices. It used to be that Brooklyn was a much more affordable option than Manhattan for those looking to settle in the Big Apple, but that isn't the case anymore. The frenzied pace of development in the area and its popularity have pushed prices higher and higher.”

So electricity will be rent controlled in the future? Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Worked on 5th Avenue in Manhattan. Lived on 5th Avenue in Brooklyn. Cool

We got Scotto our Brooklyn alley cat abandoned as a little grub fittingly enough in an alley. He grew to improbable size because that cat would eat anything.

He used to play "roach hockey" in our Brooklyn apartment. He never tired of swatting roaches off the baseboards, all night long.

He was even happier in New England. Late September into October he'd eat grasshoppers stunned by the frost. And... our grain fed barn rats make garbage fed Bryant Park rats look puny by comparison.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

“Amid explosive demand, America is running out of power
AI and the boom in clean-tech manufacturing are pushing America’s power grid to the brink. Utilities can’t keep up.”

https://apple.news/AfhCgQZ4ISD24Hz-6V-jdQg

Edit: non paywall linked below. Thanks Steve

https://wapo.st/3IqeK6P

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:

Last edited by Xevin on Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Too many useless people makin' too many useful things.

That's BS. It beats too many useless people sittin' around smokin' dope and watchin' daytime TV.

There is 200 years worth of coal buried under Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Kentucky. Formerly a "strategic resource", the mineral rights are quietly bein' sold to foreign entities. A total NIMBY approach, that does nothing to reduce our carbon footprint.

Last edited by Dusty1 on Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
“Amid explosive demand, America is running out of power
AI and the boom in clean-tech manufacturing are pushing America’s power grid to the brink. Utilities can’t keep up.”

https://apple.news/AfhCgQZ4ISD24Hz-6V-jdQg

That article has a pay wall so most will not be able to read it.....but I already know the gist of it. This has been ramping up for about 10 years or so now and it started out fairly quietly....news wise.

YES! AI just recently is a BIG driver. So back in 2018-ish....fairly accurate sources said that the average data center/server farm....and the fact that we are building them like mad....uses ~1% of all global power produced. That's conservative.

Just a couple years later and other sources say they use 2% globally and over 4% here in the US. All of this is before the advent of AI which takes astronomically larger amounts of computing power and storage. Also add to that....that we lose ~10% just in power line transmission cost.....and the movement toward EV.

This piece from 2020 shows the breakdown in power usage in the average data center.

https://energyinnovation.org/2020/03/17/how-much-energy-do-data-centers-really-use/

It's ~43% for computing and 43% just for cooling/AC.

Traveling around a lot I have run across the same story multiple times. Google and others moving adding server farms to midsized towns in the heartland because they are....in order of importance....1. smack in the middle of or on the fringes of large industrial regions with big power feeds....2. With currently low local population so the population itself is not using that power so they can.....3. Cheap local fuel and labor costs so they can hire what they need and fuel generation capacity in an emergency. 4. When possible a Fair portion of that power is green tech so they can advertise that fact. That last one is a very distant 4th....because they they do not want the problem that Texas had in the big freeze a few years back when 20% of generating capacity had been switched to wind and solar and the back up fossil fuel capacity had not been maintained.

Between the switch to cloud storage, the ramp up of AI....and a driving population being forced into EV for private transport.....we are already running short of power at peak times.

I would also bet $$$$$.....that it's a simple plan in the back of the filing cabinet in China....that when we reacha target level of electrical and data usage where are society is fully hooked.....they pop a simple 10kt nuke at about 50 miles over our side of the polar cap....and we drop to stoneage level. They could then just leisurely "acquire" us.

I would do it if I were them.

Oh....by the way....the map at this link says we currently have 2230 data centers across our states. Click on your state map to see them.

https://www.datacentermap.com/usa/
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
I would also bet $$$$$.....that it's a simple plan in the back of the filing cabinet in China....that when we reacha target level of electrical and data usage where are society is fully hooked.....they pop a simple 10kt nuke at about 50 miles over our side of the polar cap....and we drop to stoneage level. They could then just leisurely "acquire" us.

That's a gross oversimplification of the use of nuclear weapons. We haven't had anything that small since the original Little Boy series. They're primarily airbursts so when you're talkin' "50 miles"... 50 miles altitude?

Fat Man and Little Boy were detonated at altitude, a little over 1500AGL to be specific.

Total production of the Little Boy series was around 20 bombs. They were "obsolete" by the early 1950s. The U.S. military was really, really interested in what their shiny new toys would do so they popped off a bunch of them in and around Bikini Atoll in the Pacific.

The 1980s "neutron bomb" was simply a low yield nuclear device detonated at altitude. The idea was to dissipate the blast wave before it reached the ground and preserve structures and infrastructure while eliminating all the annoying people.

If you think EMP will do the trick think again. While we might have to suffer the inconvenience of no internet for a few days "we" have been working on EMP proofing vital infrastructure since the 1970s. I'll just throw another log on the fire and wait for the lights to come on. Girlfriend will probably make bagels.

When we start talkin' Chinese acquisition we quickly make work EverettB. We should take the discussion over to Twitter or whatever they call it these days.

Except Twitter was for the birds. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Dusty1 on Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Non paywalled link

https://wapo.st/3IqeK6P
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

vw group getting sued - Rolling Eyes
https://splash247.com/mol-and-allianz-take-volkswa...r-carrier/

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

finster wrote:
vw group getting sued - Rolling Eyes
https://splash247.com/mol-and-allianz-take-volkswa...r-carrier/

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

All I know is when Armageddon comes my profession will be both the oldest and the last, cleared $100.25 last weekend….
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
All I know is when Armageddon comes my profession will be both the oldest and the last, cleared $100.25 last weekend….

Comedian, Politician, or Pimp? What are you these days?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Comedian, Politician, or Pimp? What are you these days?

Heimlich, I believe the preferred woke term for Pimp is Love Broker. It’s not easy! Wink

When did Pimps become woke? Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Heimlich, I believe the preferred woke term for Pimp is Love Broker. It’s not easy! Wink

Pimps = Love Boner
Hoes = ?
Tricks = ?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Electric vehicles are BAD!

People who drive electric vehicles are "probably" bad......or they want to be.

People who make EV batteries are bad too. And yet....I have been in a battery factory now for 3 weeks!....except they are not for EV's and don't contain lithium.

Just trying to keep this thread alive.....carry on! Laughing

Ray
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Maybe the Fed Govt should come to The Samba to solve all the EV issues Very Happy
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Maybe the Fed Govt should come to The Samba to solve all the EV issues Very Happy

There is no situation so dire bureaucratic oversight can't make it worse.

It's a Los Angeles thing so I can't assume everyone is aware of it:

There are electric scooters scattered all over L.A.. In theory you're supposed to pick up a fully charged scooter at a charging station, swipe your card and off you go. In reality people leave them scattered all over the sidewalks like so much carbon neutral debris.

Either EVs need to be exceedingly hip of they need to be so inexpensive they're a no brainer.

Imagine if we had a fleet of small EVs. I'd make 'em look like '58- '59 Bugs but that's just me. Have Mahindra stamp out the bodies in India. I'd go with '58- '59 because the slightly larger (compared to oval) because the slightly larger rear window allows me to see the two ton SUV that's about to squash me like a Bug. There's a joke there somewhere...

What if you took the elevator down to the garage in your aparment block and hopped into "your" EV but it's not actually your EV... like the Los Angeles scooters (or the D.C. bicycles), someone else owns it.

You drive your HoopDEV 20 miles or less to the big Useless People Making Useful Things complex. You park it in their parking garage with the rest of the HoopDEVs. Don't leave your stuff in it. It's not your car. It's like a rental. You can grab any HoopDEV in the line after work. Drive a coral red HoopDEV to work. Drive a pearl white HoopDEV home.

Stop at the milk bar on the way home for a knifey moloko on the house. It's all part of the plan. To make EVs cool you get unlimited free drinks during Happy Hour. Then extend Happy Hour to 24/7.

"And so on." to quote Kurt Vonnegut.

I've re- read The SCUM Manifesto numerous times to attempt to deduce how Valerie proposed to pay for it. No clue although the topic is rich in comedic potential.

Valerie's mother burned her possessions upon her passing so research isn't much help.

Here is The SCUM Manifesto theme song:

Link

Or the Valerie Solonas theme song... just substitute Valerie Solonas for Mr. Crowley.

Link

Last edited by Dusty1 on Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

I would love the entertainment of watching them retrieve a spent HoopDEV from my front yard with a flat deck winch truck 2 hours from the city so they could recharge it! Very Happy Very Happy
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I would love the entertainment of watching them retrieve a spent HoopDEV from my front yard with a flat deck winch truck 2 hours from the city so they could recharge it! Very Happy Very Happy

That's why we would make the HoopD an absolutely accurate replica of a '58- '59 Bug body plopped on a '69 chassis. With 944 trailing arms and a bulletproof six speed sequential transmission. That would cause a lot of confusion among the automotive press. Totally unrelated but those people get all worked up over leaks and rattles. I can't tell if my car is running without leaks and rattles. Twisted Evil Anyway, if you spent a few minutes yanking the EV parts out an old school 1776 would bolt right up where the EV crap came out. Where the back seat used to be. Under a cover like you'd find in an old Econoline van. Very Happy

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Katie Britt Fundie Baby voices …

“EVs are bad”
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 230, 231, 232 ... 234, 235, 236  Next
Jump to:
Page 231 of 236

Jump to: