Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric vehicles are bad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
I understand the pro EV car guy bragging about the cost to run his car. I also understand history. Hopefully the cost of electricity remains the same for ever. But then “Hope” is not a strategy Brick wall Brick wall

Again, I'll point to all the ski chalets and vacation homes that were built with "clean electric heat" years ago. "Clean electric heat" negated the need for a chimney or chimneys which negates the possibility of back- up heat sources. While we're at it throw the damn thing on a block foundation that's going to move the first time the ground freezes.

A friend bought herself a house like that outside Portland (Maine). It might have seemed like a good idea 50 years ago but the electric heat is rudely expensive these days.

The good news is ever more frugal microcircuits use less power. It's too bad microchip design isn't staying ahead of the bloated code everything is written in not to mention proliferation of streaming audio and video.

My old TRS80 on dial- up will barely connect to today's content.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
I would also bet $$$$$.....that it's a simple plan in the back of the filing cabinet in China....that when we reacha target level of electrical and data usage where are society is fully hooked.....they pop a simple 10kt nuke at about 50 miles over our side of the polar cap....and we drop to stoneage level. They could then just leisurely "acquire" us.

That's a gross oversimplification of the use of nuclear weapons. We haven't had anything that small since the original Little Boy series. They're primarily airbursts so when you're talkin' "50 miles"... 50 miles altitude?

Fat Man and Little Boy were detonated at altitude, a little over 1500AGL to be specific.

Total production of the Little Boy series was around 20 bombs. They were "obsolete" by the early 1950s. The U.S. military was really, really interested in what their shiny new toys would do so they popped off a bunch of them in and around Bikini Atoll in the Pacific.

The 1980s "neutron bomb" was simply a low yield nuclear device detonated at altitude. The idea was to dissipate the blast wave before it reached the ground and preserve structures and infrastructure while eliminating all the annoying people.

If you think EMP will do the trick think again. While we might have to suffer the inconvenience of no internet for a few days "we" have been working on EMP proofing vital infrastructure since the 1970s. I'll just throw another log on the fire and wait for the lights to come on. Girlfriend will probably make bagels.

When we start talkin' Chinese acquisition we quickly make work EverettB. We should take the discussion over to Twitter or whatever they call it these days.

Except Twitter was for the birds. Rolling Eyes

It took a few days for me to get back to this.

It is not an oversimplifcation of the use of nuclear weapons at all.

WE...the US have no "small" nuclear weapons....because WE have become stupid in our age and wisdom. The last and only small nuc we ever had was the Davey crocket.

Russia has over 2000 "non-strategic" warheads ranging from 1.2Kt artillery rocket warheads to 5, 10 and 20 kt warheads. China has many as well specifically (but not only) on nuclear tipped torpedos specifically for zapping carrier task forces and orbital targets.

These two countries alone have stated such and have worked on/tested small nuc's for EMP destruction. We know it...they know it.

The issue is that back in the 2nd world war and even through the very last above ground nuclear test in the US (23rd Sept, 1992)....at none of those times did we have ANY real electronics that had any real sensitrivity to the limited and ground based EMP our tests generated.

With our (and other countries) rates of electronic-action (to coin a poor word).....we would be f*cked by any tatical weapons blast in the US.

How is this relevent to EV's? Because the advent of EV's as we are speaking of is all about the grid.

About 5-6 years ago I saw a really good interview on Life Liberty and Levin. I cannot remember the gentlemans name but will find it. During the Bush admin, they formed an EMP study group within the NSA to prepare if for nothing else ...for the next massive solar flares like the Carrington event in 1859 and the huge solar storm of 1921 and the 1967 cold war solar flare and the 1972 solar flare that even detonated mines in Vietnam.

Any of these size solar flares...as well as a small inter atmosphere nuc according to the NSA, DARPA and others....would cause a problem with systems that we never had back in any of those times or during world war 2 or even during the late 80s.

It was explained in this interview by the gent that was elected as the EMP Tsar during the Trump admin...when this department was finally actually funded.....
We have in the US about 2200 HUGE step up and step down transformers in our grid. None of them are made in the US any longer. They are all made in Germany and in South Korea.

We have less than 1% spares available for them. During any atmospheric EMP event...including a tactical nuc in the right place....we will lose a hefty portion of these transformers...none of which have a Farraday cage system.

It is estimated that in the right failure mode that over 9 million people would starve in the first two years because we cannot exist without pumped water agriculture and refrigeration.

If its a solar flare....the countries that "could" supply the transformers...in teh same hemisphere would also be in the stone age.

The fact that we are moving toward a fully "electrified" economy and existance....is a liability if someone wants to take us out.

Not trying to be political and not trying to get this thread locked....but whats at stake with the mandated push toward all EV's....too fast....is part of this entire equation about electrical power, how we get it, how much we can make and where it makes us vulnerable to exploitation.

If you think we have been "EMP Proofing" since the 1970's....think again. Some important data centers...sure. None of thactual infrastructure that counts. Dams, water supplies, oil pump terminals and power generation transformers....NADA! Manufacturing...NADA!

I will try to find out the name of the EMP Tsar. He also has a book out about it I want to get.

EDIT: Found him! Peter Vincent Pry.

The book he was speaking of was the "EMP Manhatten project". Also see:
"Blackout Warfare" -attacking the US electrical grid.

He has several more as well.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Karl Marx wrote that the development of the industrial bourgeois preceded the expansion of the urban EV proletariat

Just to fairly balance off Wanker Levin and his Koch funded mouthpiece show

We do have EMP weapons. If these start popping off, where to get either gas or electrons will not be high on my list of concerns
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Karl Marx wrote that the development of the industrial bourgeois preceded the expansion of the urban EV proletariat

Karl Marx invented the EV.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Dusty1 wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
I would also bet $$$$$.....that it's a simple plan in the back of the filing cabinet in China....that when we reacha target level of electrical and data usage where are society is fully hooked.....they pop a simple 10kt nuke at about 50 miles over our side of the polar cap....and we drop to stoneage level. They could then just leisurely "acquire" us.

That's a gross oversimplification of the use of nuclear weapons.

It is not an oversimplifcation of the use of nuclear weapons at all.

If you think we have been "EMP Proofing" since the 1970's....think again. Some important data centers...sure. None of thactual infrastructure that counts. Dams, water supplies, oil pump terminals and power generation transformers....NADA! Manufacturing...NADA!

I will try to find out the name of the EMP Tsar. He also has a book out about it I want to get.

EDIT: Found him! Peter Vincent Pry.

My crazy uncle used to say in his thick European accent,

"I read in paper."

Among the many hats I've worn I'm a retired journalist. I'm working from my own memory here. I don't need anyone to paraphrase primary sources for me.

You left out a letter in the agency that has been studying EMP proofing since the 1970s. NASA has been studying and remediating EMP since the 1970s.

I don't have NSA connections anymore. It's a hilarious story. I thought I hung out with weirdos. They're so compartmentalized no one over there can tell me anything, anyway. I'll say this: Who do you trust for EMP proofing, rocket scientists of computer nerds? I expect the NSA doesn't have much expertise if they can't Google it.

Do you know what a Faraday shell is and how it works?

Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Just to fairly balance off Wanker Levin and his Koch funded mouthpiece show

We do have EMP weapons. If these start popping off, where to get either gas or electrons will not be high on my list of concerns

So close.

Groucho Marx used to laugh and point at his paranoid cousin Karl. He would sit next to Karl at family gatherings. He flicked cigar ash in Karl's turkey and gravy. Groucho used to say, "Karl. You're such an @$$H01E."

Last edited by Dusty1 on Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Its the thing little Faradays have to nibble their way out, and then say

"Im Free , Im Free to permeate the ether with EM Waves..."

I think it was Engels that invented the EV

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Its the thing little Faradays have to nibble their way out, and then say

"Im Free , Im Free to permeate the ether with EM Waves..."

I think it was Engels that invented the EV

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Again, so close. Big ugly EMPs need to bash through the shielding to get to the cowering Faradays inside.

True story: We lined the walls with lead sheet when we re- did NBC's studios at 30 Rock. They probably ripped out all the nice lead and asbestos between then and now.

You know the fictional building in the original Ghostbusters? 30 Rock was built that way for realz.

Wanna talk about 666 Fifth Avenue? Twisted Evil

More Ghostbusters trivia: Pre- CGI it was easier to rig a west Manhattan street to break apart than it was to do it as a model in a Hollywood basement. My buddy Neil was tripping with a bunch of friends when they crashed Ghostbusters' set. They just walked in with a bunch of extras.

It didn't matter. You could do that then.

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

More EV news from VW.

"VW is reviving a storied American brand to sell electric SUVs"

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/17/cars/vw-scout-american-electric-suvs/index.html
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

scout is old news - https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39970134/volkswagen-scout-ev-revival/

heard a piece on the radio about deep sea mining. a guy from the metals company said a lot of the quality minerals and rare earth elements had already been mined and nickel was underneath the rainforests. so his argument was it's either the rainforest or the sea bed that gets hit to supply our growing need for batteries etc. Rolling Eyes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68576735

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

taxi!
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a60232041/hertz-ceo-resigns-after-big-bet-on-evs-fails-to-pay-off

Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

There is a headslappingly simple design tweak that gives EVs the same range as any other vehicle and sidesteps most of the charging hassles. Guess I better build it, huh?

Anyone have a stack of venture capital they want to put to good use?

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
There is a headslappingly simple design tweak that gives EVs the same range as any other vehicle and sidesteps most of the charging hassles. Guess I better build it, huh?

I’ve got a stack of Enron you can have.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:

is it to fit them with smaller front wheels so they're always going downhill?

Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Dusty1 wrote:

I’ve got a stack of Enron you can have.

I was thinking more along the lines of Lehman Bros. or Bear Stearns. You know, investment bankers.

Didn't know it at the time but a young lady (not so much, now) didn't know it at the time but a young lady I worked with in NYC was an heiress of the Sterns Department Stores / Bear Stearns legacy. I sensed she was way out of my league. I had no idea at the time.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:

Didn't know it at the time but a young lady (not so much, now) didn't know it at the time but a young lady I worked with in NYC was an heiress of the Sterns Department Stores / Bear Stearns legacy. I sensed she was way out of my league. I had no idea at the time.

Strip us all naked and we are all the same - human. Money and wealth only have the value you as an individual attribute to it. Just like an EV.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Dusty1 wrote:

Strip us all naked and we are all the same - human. Money and wealth only have the value you as an individual attribute to it. Just like an EV.

Only got as far as "strip us all naked". Laughing

"Don't believe in forced entry. Don't believe in rape. But every time she passes by wild thoughts escape."

Time for the gospel according to Reverend Bono:

Link

chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

New epa mandates for tractor trucks out now. Gonna have to build 15,000 chargers per month, for 8 years. Big rigs use 7x the power of 1 house to recharge. Where is the money for this and where is the electricty coming from? Guess they will figure that out later, lol
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

If we can convert from ICE to EV, maybe we can convert these to emit electrons?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Great gas GIF !!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236  Next
Jump to:
Page 233 of 236

Jump to: