Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

Since the launch of Van Cafe's new website, during the checkout, I noticed an add-on item for "Route" shipping protection.

I usually opt out of this - as I have never had any issues with shipping from Van Cafe. But on my last order I forgot to uncheck the box - For my $175 order, it was $7 for this addon.

My understanding of anything I buy from the interwebz, it's on the seller to ensure the package makes it to the buyer.

Has anyone had any experience using Route to resolve shipping issues?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

I have not noticed this. Considering how many packages are delivered safely, seems like just a side bet that will generate more money than it pays out. Interesting idea.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

i declined the $0.98 charge. always seems to be a hassle of hoops and ladders to try to get settlement out of these. USPS and UPS have been incredibly reliable for me... last FedEx delivery was laughably incompetent and now triggers a "Frau Blucher" response in me.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

I just placed an expensive order from Renogy and I noticed the same thing. I opted for paying it. I did this because I spent lots of money and want to make sure I get it. I have heard about lots of shipping issues, items getting lost, stolen from door step or delivered to the wrong address, and the package getting all messed up. From what
I read, this protects the buyer from any issues with shipping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

It's called insurance, you assume the risk if you decline adding it.

BTW, when i sell stuff, I always include the cost of insurance in the price... it's not an option. If the customer doesn't want to pay it, they're welcome to drive over and pick it up in person because i won't ship without it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

All insurance is gambling backed by mathematics. The math says the company will make money regardless of payouts. That's why the insurance is even offered, with rates adjusted as needed to ensure money continues to be made. As consumers, we are either forced to buy insurance to protect ourselves, others, and lenders/businesses OR we choose to gamble on whether or not the risk of loss is worth the cost of insurance.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

Do you have car insurance?

I was sitting at a red light when a municipal garbage truck slammed into the back of my car and pushed it into the back of a F150. Of course the F150 driver is suing both of us even though its the truck driver's fault. Luckily i'm well insured and my lawyer is not concerned my insurance company will pay anything. Either way i'm covered if the court finds me liable and my lawyer is free.

In many states, car insurance is optional. Try to collect against an uninsured driver that lives in a trailer park and has no assets.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
In many states, car insurance is optional.

Two out of fifty is "many"? Is this common core math at work?🤔

What States Don't Require Car Insurance?
There are only two states where car insurance is not mandatory for all drivers: Virginia and New Hampshire. In Virginia, an uninsured motor vehicle fee may be paid to the state, while in New Hampshire, vehicle owners have the option to post cash bonds. All other states have some form of car insurance requirements, typically liability or personal injury protection, depending on the related laws in the state.

Virginia And New Hampshire Car Insurance Requirements
In both states where car insurance is not mandatory, you must either get approved to waive requirements or pay a fee. Virginia and New Hampshire are both at-fault states, which means the person who causes the accident must prove financial responsibility up to a certain amount for the other driver’s injury and property damage costs.

https://www.motor1.com/products-services/auto-insurance/states-where-car-insurance-is-not-mandatory/

As for the topic at hand, if the shipment value is over $100 (UPS/FedEx auto-insured), or $50 if using USPS, then using Route insurance would be worthwhile.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
...My understanding of anything I buy from the interwebz, it's on the seller to ensure the package makes it to the buyer.

That's my understanding. If I purchase an item to be shipped and it doesn't arrive I would first contact the seller but could easily dispute the charge via my credit card provider if it was not promptly resolved by the seller.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:
...My understanding of anything I buy from the interwebz, it's on the seller to ensure the package makes it to the buyer.

That's my understanding. If I purchase an item to be shipped and it doesn't arrive I would first contact the seller but could easily dispute the charge via my credit card provider if it was not promptly resolved by the seller.

Correct, the shipper files the claim.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

Living in Ak. we see alot of damaged stuff by the time it's shipped to us. Sometimes it's just mind boggling how crappily things are packaged. Yes crappily. Though it's nice to have the option of insurance or not. A brake drum, well maybe not. Pretty hard to damage that, I just want it to be true Wink.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Living in Ak. we see alot of damaged stuff by the time it's shipped to us. Sometimes it's just mind boggling how crappily things are packaged. Yes crappily. Though it's nice to have the option of insurance or not. A brake drum, well maybe not. Pretty hard to damage that, I just want it to be true Wink.

Insurance doesn't cover poor packing.

I've received cast iron distributors in a usps medium flat rate box with a few sheets of newspaper. When I pick them up I can feel it rattling around, so I video the box and opening it so if it's damaged it's not my problem.

Yes cast iron can crack if dropped onto something hard... like the ground.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

so... my opinion?

totally worth it.

I never have had an issue with shipping....ever. I went to check out and saw the .98 "fee" and thought "you fuckers" and I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't want to figure out how to get rid of it, so I just paid the buck

I literally received an empty box, with the neon stickers you see taped to it. I contacted GW/VC about this.

Long story short, ROUTE was a total pain in the ass to navigate, at least on a laptop. They want you to install an app on your phone (no thanks) so after some back and forth with GW/VC they did all of the legwork despite me thinking I had the claim filed (the ROUTE interface SUCKED imho)

Within a day or 2 VC/GW got authorization to re-send the package. It was about a week or so but I got a new order safely delivered to me.

Like I said, I have NEVER had any issues and would have opted out had I had the time to figure it out, so I just 'ate' the fee and man am I glad I did. There was over 100bux worth of shit in that box and other than a delay (dealing with ROUTE/ GW/VC) I got a new order.

In todays world of nobody giving a shit, this saved my ass. I mean it's only a buck for Christs sake. Somehow my order was stolen while in the chain of command AT the post office as it showed up to me with the "dude, your box is empty" stickers. I have never seen them before in my life and hope never to again.

All in all, it was super easy, didn't have to play fuck fuck with the post office and it got sorted FAST (at least I felt it did, compared to dealing with the usps) Other than the inconvenience of having to actually deal with the stolen contents, it was very easy and well worth it. If an extra dollar is going to break you, you need to reevaluate your life.

TL;DR spend the extra dollar.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

It’s not just $1. I just did a sample checkout with a $700 rear swing away and the insurance was $15. On my $160 order it was $6.

I am glad you had success with Route. I may consider it in certain situations moving forward.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

You have to. Read the terms and conditions On each order carefully.

FOB or Free on Board describes when and where the ownership of the goods transfers from seller to buyer. It is not necessarily your porch, especially for drop shipped or third party items
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

There is a 'toggle' switch under shipping to where you can opt out of Route.

Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

It is not "on the seller" to ensure the item arrives safely- it's on the seller to ensure the item is SHIPPED.
I own a small business, and the second I hand off the package to the shipping company (Say UPS for example), I am not "Responsible" for the package.
If I offer insurance on the package, which you chose not to buy- your issue of your package getting lost is with the shipper, it's no longer my package. Of course, I'll make the claim, and I'll follow up to help you- but in the case of the high end items I make and sell, when they go missing and you chose not to pay extra for insurance- I absolutely have nothing "I" can do.
In my case, I'm making wedding rings, which are very often ordered irresponsibly close to a wedding. If the shipper loses your package, I can't just "ship another one", and how would "I" be out that money and the money associated with rushing that order- when you chose to save?

In my case, the insurance generally doubles the shipping price, and people certainly don't like to pay it.

I've seen ALOT of packages get lost, ESPECIALLY around the holidays (NOW through Christmas), so don't rely on 3 day shipping to be anything less then potentially 6 days, don't expect that it couldn't take 10 days, and always opt for the insurance- ESPECIALLY around the holidays. UPS and Fedex have both eliminated their guaranteed dates, and lowered their limits on what packages are automatically insured for (I think it's $100?), so if you've got a package that costs more than that..... pay it.
Or it might not show up at all.

Also note, an insurance claim will take a long time to pay out.
It could be months. In the meantime, a vendor may ship your replacement parts, they may not- they haven't been paid for yet.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
There is a 'toggle' switch under shipping to where you can opt out of Route.

like I said, i was in a rush but i'm glad i just paid it

it obviously runs off of a percentage of the purchase.

all i can say is they paid out quick and it worked well.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

I’m guessing part of the Route fee covers the “carbon neutral” shipping expense.
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Cafe "Route" shipping protection Reply with quote

I think we're too used to Amazon where you report it missing and they send another right away.

With gowesty's shipment I got half one day and half the next. UPS screwed up and showed it "delivered". I figured it was either still on the truck or at the wrong place. Emailed GW and they said to contact UPS. Came the next day so all's well that ends well.

The only thing I expect is for the shipper to have ensured it adequately so if it doesn't come or is damaged there is some recourse.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: