Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1961 Gulf Blue Ragtop
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xraymatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: 1961 Gulf Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

A few months back, I was in search of a 61 ragtop. Those of you who've followed my other posts may have remembered that my dad recently passed away and he had a 61 ragtop when I was growing up. His VW is the sole reason that I became obsessed with these cars.
Anyhow, I was recently fortunate enough to be at the right place at the right time and came across this pristine Gulf Blue 1961 Ragtop. The best part is that it was only 2 hours away. I'm totally stoked to have it in our family and hopefully it will be a fitting tribute to a part of my dad's past.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Gulf Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

Gorgeous.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Gulf Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

That is a beautiful Bug!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
xraymatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Gulf Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

Well, I've had the 61 for a couple of months and I've been driving the heck out of it. One night on the way home from work (20 minute drive), I noticed a new rattle noise in the motor. All of a sudden, while doing 55mph, the oil light and generator light came on and I lost all power. Once I coasted to a stop, I was unable to restart it. Fortunately I didn't see a fire! It got towed home that night and then to the mechanic pro the next day. He ended up finding big metal shards in the oil strainer, which meant a rebuild is needed. Fortunately, one of the guys in our local VW group is an engine guru and will get it back up and running. It didn't take long for VW Life to jump up and bite me!

In the mean time, since the 2332cc motor isn't being used in the 56, I decided to put it in the 61! I managed to get it swapped out with a little help from my wife. This coming week I'll get it all buttoned up and hopefully fire it up.

Sometimes it takes small hands to get into tight spaces...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Gulf Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

That will wake the car up a bit! I love the 2109 in my ‘65!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
xraymatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Gulf Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
That will wake the car up a bit! I love the 2109 in my ‘65!

Knock the dust off, for sure!
Apostle_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Gulf Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

I love a Gulf blue car, especially a ragtop. Great find!!
xraymatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Gulf Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

So, despite nearly slicing the tip of my finger off while cutting some fuel line with a pair of trauma shears, I managed to get the 2332cc motor buttoned up and ready for action. I'm just letting the gasket sealant dry on the exhaust before firing it up. For the past year I've used the ultra copper permatex when sealing my exhaust and as long as you give it at least 24 hours to cure, it hasn't done me wrong.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Gulf Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

Looks excellent, I like many things about it!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Gulf Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

Imagine if you are a runner. You are allowed to breath in through your mouth, but can only exhale through a drinking straw.

That's what I'm seeing here on your 2332 engine. Good sized carbs, and tiny post header collector outlet and silencer.
Looks like 1 1/2" or better primaries on the header and 1 3/8" outlet on the silencer.

That's gonna have an affect on how well the engine performs. Plus, it'll be difficult to tune with the exhaust choked like that.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Gulf Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

I’d like to know more about the engine build too. But, if it’s mild and those are 40s it will be just fine with that exhaust. I personally don’t like the way those exhausts look, but it will be fine.

Everyone always throws shade at my builds, but they work just fine. Sometimes it’s not about running in the red on every shift. You can build a big engine combo that has manageable power, is fun to drive and reliable.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
xraymatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Gulf Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I’d like to know more about the engine build too. But, if it’s mild and those are 40s it will be just fine with that exhaust. I personally don’t like the way those exhausts look, but it will be fine.

Everyone always throws shade at my builds, but they work just fine. Sometimes it’s not about running in the red on every shift. You can build a big engine combo that has manageable power, is fun to drive and reliable.

I 100% agree about the exhaust. I got the header from AJ at Low Budget and I initially had a sidewinder exhaust on there, but the exhaust tip pointed straight to the ground and with it so low in the back (the 56) I decided to throw this one on there. I don't like the look either, but it will work for now. My neighbors appreciate it more than that sidewinder! hahahaha

xraymatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Gulf Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

To put the exhaust (muffler) issue to rest, I decided to buy a merged muffler from AJ at Low Budget. I bought a merged header from him last summer, so they'll go good together.

Ok, now for the fun part; The 2332cc motor is running great! I got the carburetors dialed in and it purrs. When I pulled out of my driveway, I noticed it was a little hard to put into gear. After adjusting the shifter, there was no change. I decided to get underneath and slightly tighten the clutch cable. This caused a slight vibration in the clutch pedal. Well, after some trial and error (story of our lives), I completely removed the clutch cable from the wingnut and manually felt the clutch arm vibrate, which meant the problem in the clutch/ pressure plate/ flywheel. I have a suspicion that the pressure place is off center, but time will tell.

VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:02 pm    Post subject: 1961 Gulf Blue #117 W/ SUNSHINE ROOF Reply with quote

That's a pretty car to be sure .

Bummer the engine failed but it's easy enough to fix .

I always find it easier to remove & replace VW Engines with the fan shroud in situ .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
xraymatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Gulf Blue #117 W/ SUNSHINE ROOF Reply with quote

VWNate wrote:
That's a pretty car to be sure .

Bummer the engine failed but it's easy enough to fix .

I always find it easier to remove & replace VW Engines with the fan shroud in situ .

Thanks man!
After removing engines a few times, I’ve learned the tricks! I take off the decklid hinges, the fan shroud and anything else I can remove before unbolting it and pulling it. An easier solution (which I haven’t done yet) is to have a removable apron. Some day.
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Engine R & R Reply with quote

Uh ;

We used to have "engine races" in the old Bug Ins, removing the deck lid means you're likely to scratch up the paint .

Removing the fan shroud means less leverage, I hope you're not holding onto the OIL COOLER ?! .

Two trolly jacks or some tall jack stands and blocks of wood will get you where you need to go .

Harbor Fright sells jacks really cheaply, pay attention and only buy one that has a good maximum height, not because it's cool or " !RACING !" .

Always work safely ! VW engines can weigh under 200# but they hurt like bugger all when they fall on you .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
PastDown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Gulf Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

Lovely 61 ragtop, I have the exact same but RHD and in original paint.

Do you know what month yours was produced?

Thanks
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine R & R Reply with quote

VWNate wrote:
Uh ;
Always work safely ! VW engines can weigh under 200# but they hurt like bugger all when they fall on you .

The expression “bugger all” usually means nothing at all in countries using (the now King’s) English. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I know what you mean though. You’re right don’t let it fall on you.
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject: "BUGGER" Reply with quote

Is that so ? .

You may have missed the Toyota Australia T.V. commercial "bugger" ~ I find it funny and appropriate .

I'm old so mayhap the meaning of that word has softened .

viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Gulf Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

Nah!

Bugger is an old version of the slight profanity like sh*t.

Bugger all is like Sweet FA! Nothing, nil, nada!

But we digress from the original post. Cheers from one old bloke down under.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: