Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I’m an idiot, please help me!
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject: I’m an idiot, please help me! Reply with quote

Last one,

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2637509

Instead of me asking why I should get it, I figured I’d ask why I shouldn’t. Everyone’s already been incredibly helpful but for this bus I can’t figure out anything bad.

Thank you all, I’ve learned a lot.

Last edited by Laird.Ostien on Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: can someone point out why this is not a good bus. Reply with quote

what are you looking for?

I have a 71 westy I'm getting ready to list in CT. I just don't need 2 campers.

I see some issues and honesty the T4 is a pretty expensive piece of hardware when stuff goes sideways.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: can someone point out why this is not a good bus. Reply with quote

"Day camper" is a bit of an exaggeration. It has a z-bed, that's all. But if it fits your camping style and equipment (Coleman stuff), then it may work for you.

They apparently had trouble with the FI and put one of those awful center carb setups on it. If your state requires a smog check, it will fail.

That's about all I can complain about, if you can swing the price. Budget $1-2K minimum to fix what you don't see now.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: can someone point out why this is not a good bus. Reply with quote

OK I'll play as long as this is the last thread you start about a bus for sale...

77 with a single Weber centermount carb. This bus had fuel injection originally. Does your state have smog requirements for a 77? If so this will be unlikely to pass. And that's not even getting into the drivability issues of the Weber.
And you are in Maryland. That carb has no preheat. Icing will we be an issue for you.
Lowered is a matter of taste. Some would say questionable taste but that is your biz.
If Skilz (in Connecticut) has a 71 coming up that might be a better direction to look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: can someone point out why this is not a good bus. Reply with quote

Since you have $20,000 in your budget to purchase, set aside 2k for Robbie to inspect it, and find your FIJ components, and it will be decent, and leave you 2k left over after transport.

We will spend that last 2k for you, dont worry. You are welcome

Laughing Laughing Laughing
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone point out why this is not a good bus. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Since you have $20,000 in your budget to purchase..

we're not too far off...and I know a transport guy I know would work a fair deal

It's dirty from lack of use, and I'm going thru it now

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I honestly don't want to sell it to anyone here... I don't want to hear every little issue that may crop up and was prepping it for auction

That said, it's an honest useable bus that has served us well since '07-'08 or so.

Sorry for the shameless plug. IF you're really interested reach out via p/m

The only reason for the sale is 9 cars in the stable and we now have a Vanagon camper which suits our needs a bit better

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone point out why this is not a good bus. Reply with quote

If I was looking for a good van/bus, I would definitely buy anything Skillz has to offer.
He's an amazing (sarcastic!) and honest mechanic. Dancing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone point out why this is not a good bus. Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:
If I was looking for a good van/bus, I would definitely buy anything Skillz has to offer.

Thank you for that Embarassed

I'm a miserable prick mostly, but honest as the day is long. This is a bus that is nice enough to keep inside, but not so nice you're afraid to use it.

Since we got our Vanagon, it hasn't been used much since 2020 other than driving it to just keep things moving.

it needs nothing major other than tires (just aged out and seeing tires are like religion or politics, the new owner can buy whatever) but I'm going thru front to back all of the services and whenever I feel it may need

so off the top of my head...fuel lines, brake flush, oil change, check valves etc

Also going to stab a new fuel pump on it seeing I have one from Bill here and it will get rid of the Brazilian one

Other than the tires and fuel lines I'd consider it turn key

this is what is driving the sale:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

wasn't easy to make the decision, this was our wedding limo and has been on countless adventures

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone point out why this is not a good bus. Reply with quote

Holy Shit, can you just make ONE THREAD saying help me, I can't make a decision for myself, tell me what to do already?

How many threads do you need? This is what, number seven, eight?
Buy a bus, or don't. I'm assuming you're at least close to an adult. Make a decision for yourself.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWSunny72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone point out why this is not a good bus. Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:

^^^^ x 10 ^^^^

No lipstick on his pig!
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone point out why this is not a good bus. Reply with quote

If you're really looking for a bus, buy Skillz. That's your bus, you won't do better.
I'd suggest you strike while the irons hot....

Next thread should be "I just bought Skillz's bus and here are pictures of my first road trip."
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone point out why this is not a good bus. Reply with quote

It’s a Jersey Looker!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone point out why this is not a good bus. Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
It’s a Jersey Looker!

it's a wild tale of how this bus came to be, and I don't want to turn this post into more of a classified ad than I already have

Seeing every post this user has made makes me wonder how serious a bus purchase may be.

Anyway...now that the word is out it's out. I will be entering it in an auction probably early next week and when that happens that's it until the hammer drops as pulling it out is a huge pain in the ass.

So if nothing happens between now and this weekend you can bid on it

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone point out why this is not a good bus. Reply with quote

Just lowball the seller. I'd say $3K tops. If they do not accept it, then start another thread with the next bus you are looking for. We are all looking forward to it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone point out why this is not a good bus. Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
wasn't easy to make the decision, this was our wedding limo and has been on countless adventures

No way is that marriage legal, dawg. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: can someone point out why this is not a good bus. Reply with quote

Laird, you need to stop looking at all those junkers now and take Skills up on his offer whilst you still can, his bus looks like a beaut for the money he's asking.

Skills, where'd you get those wheel arches from?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: can someone point out why this is not a good bus. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

No way is that marriage legal, dawg. Very Happy

no, but this one was Laughing

Favguy...the arches were on it when I bought it. I think they are off a 4wd S10/S10 Blazer if my memory is correct

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: can someone point out why this is not a good bus. Reply with quote

Laird.Ostien wrote:
Last one,

Instead of me asking why I should get it, I figured I’d ask why I shouldn’t. Everyone’s already been incredibly helpful but for this bus I can’t figure out anything bad.

no reason why you shouldn't get it if you like this one more than others.

in the end the best bus will be the one with the best metal, everything else is a wear item.

this bus looks dry and rust free. go for it, screw it.

why would I hesitate?

ragtop
centermount carb
random mismatched non original stuff everywhere
lowered (not because I don't like how it looks, but did they do it right, does it ride like ass?)
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: can someone point out why this is not a good bus. Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
Laird.Ostien wrote:
Last one,

no reason why you shouldn't get it if you like this one more than others.

in the end the best bus will be the one with the best metal, everything else is a wear item.

this bus looks dry and rust free. go for it, screw it.

why would I hesitate?

ragtop
centermount carb
random mismatched non original stuff everywhere
lowered (not because I don't like how it looks, but did they do it right, does it ride like ass?)

Ditto
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:04 pm    Post subject: ok considering you guys don’t want me making more threads Reply with quote

Let’s see if anyone acc responds to this. Saw this bus on classifieds,

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2663634

Anything inherently wrong with it. I checked the vin and it all matches up. It’s a lot more in my budget especially if I can knock off a grand.

Anyways let me know,

Thank you!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: