Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Road" tools?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

Guys & Girls in this forum... I'm kinda new to buggy-ing and I'm well covered with "roadside assistance".... but I gotta ask...

What tools do you pack in your buggy? Can you change a tire? A spark plug? Re-ring your 1776? I'm looking for ideas. The only thing that goes everywhere the buggy goes right now, is a pocket knife & a Leatherman multi tool. Embarassed

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
Re-ring your 1776?

You planing on having to replace piston rings on the side of the road?

Just add a cell phone and credit card to your list and you're good.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

I have a canvas bag I carry around to whatever car I'm driving.....When driving out of town anyway.

A vw 010 loaded with points and condenser, ready to go
A test light
fuses
fuel filter
spare generator belt
tire plug kit
compressor 12volt (Harbor Freight unbelievably makes a good one for $30)
tire air pressure gauge
spark plug socket
rachet and sockets
wrenches
screwdrivers
tape
bailin wire
zip ties
tow strap
3 gallon fuel rotopax

Certain areas around here, your pretty much on your on. Cell phones help, but they don't work out in the middle of nowhere.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

i'd develop a backpacker mentality. you've only got so much room and space for something you might not use.

https://youtu.be/_2uxKyoUbDE?si=5J1UcaQecwwomN0p
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

Depends on the distance to some degree. Usually just a socket set, screw driver and plyers. Sometimes nothing if it's just a few hours away. No spare tire or spare parts but a couple jerry cans of gas if we are taking a long trip. Oh and a tarp for if we have to stop for very long in the rain.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

I used to carry a raincoat, in case I needed to walk. Then I decided to just not drive it in the rain.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

I live outside Moab and tend to have spotty cell, I am also not an experienced mechanic, more a tinkerer. So I carry my tools in the Toyo tool box along with a little jumper box.

In the tool box I carry a few wrenches, screw drivers, pliers, voltmeter, sockets and fuses. Oh a spare belt too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't want to get stuck out here in the summer.

-Joe
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
slayer61 wrote:
Re-ring your 1776?

You planing on having to replace piston rings on the side of the road?

Just add a cell phone and credit card to your list and you're good.

No Glenn. We don't have a font for sarcasm, Rolling Eyes or I'd have used it there. I have no intention of re-ringing my motor on the side of the road.

I also should have mentioned that the cell phone & credit card are already in my kit with the pocket knife & multi tool.

Mine's pretty much a "city" car, but it does get out to the country now & again.

This trip was over 100 miles (round trip) Shocked and the longest we've taken to date!

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

maybe include an red flag for the exhaust ?
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

s.e.charles wrote:
maybe include an red flag for the exhaust ?

Rolling Eyes As much as I love my "hater" stinger... I have a fix in the works for those that aren't fans...

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

Last road trip I was on I took a gas can full of premium plus as I never know what small town pumps are like and i only have a 5 gallon fuel cell. Didn't need it, buggy got 35mpg and stil had a gallon and a half left in it when I got home. Besides that I take nothing. I go over everything front to back before I leave and the wife is usually home if I need the truck and trailer.

Now when I take the race buggy to Utah, tgats another story, a top chest full of tools and spares and yes, I could re-ring a 1776 (well, 2332).
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

7 in 1 screwdriver
Crescent wrench
quart of oil
bailing wire
duct (gorilla) tape
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Last road trip I was on I took a gas can full of premium plus as I never know what small town pumps are like and i only have a 5 gallon fuel cell. Didn't need it, buggy got 35mpg and stil had a gallon and a half left in it when I got home. Besides that I take nothing. I go over everything front to back before I leave and the wife is usually home if I need the truck and trailer.

Now when I take the race buggy to Utah, tgats another story, a top chest full of tools and spares and yes, I could re-ring a 1776 (well, 2332).

Your wife can pull a trailer??? Shocked My wife can drive a stick... but I don't believe she can (hook up & ) pull the trailer by herself... Embarassed

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

When I head out on a long trip away from home.
I pack a tool bag of only the tools that I will need for the fasteners on my car.

There's really no need to bring the entire tool box along.

I too have a credit card and towing insurance. Like a few above have stated, cell service can be spotty in some places. So i carry tools to make minor roadside repairs.

All the above works. Until, you loose an engine on the drive home. Shocked

Then you gotta get it towed. Luckily, Xevin was behind me and gave me a ride home to pick up my tow bar and truck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

I have a M60 ammo box full of tools for the small repair, otherwise I have free towing and roadside assistance. My newer cars I dont even bother with tools cause they aint getting fixed on the side of the road!
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

sounds heavy and rattley.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I used to carry a raincoat, in case I needed to walk. Then I decided to just not drive it in the rain.

That strategy would only work here if we never left the neighborhood. We carry full rain gear just like any experienced biker. One of the tricks we learned in the rain is don't stop. That's when you get wet!
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/UODFB9OiwIQ?si=Sgo8tg3SP5ZEPUDp

https://youtu.be/Xbf-RZQXYvk?si=l3BxAPMLJO4LSVCQ

https://youtu.be/oEkEr3RfEUY?si=PHorWWnJj3tlsrJ2

https://youtu.be/IxV9YsiS8A0?si=Twv1FMBRGX5beqtb

https://youtu.be/kiSu9Y8I0lE?si=sqXZLC4CfIQqIRYm
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

I got an old rusty screw driver behind the battery. Other than that, all I carry is my cell phone. I leave my tow bar in the back yard. That way I can phone a friend and have them come rescue me.
Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

Greetings Everyone. I like to be prepared as I have had to change a fuel pump on the side of the freeway and lost a throttle cable so I bring a small canvas bag full of wrenches,screwdrivers,hammer and assorted pliers. I also carry many small spare parts such as distributor cap, rotor,condeser,plug wires, fuel pump, generator belt, clutch and throttle cables, fuel filter and fuses. I'm sure there's a few more. I do drive my buggy quite a bit and to club meetings so having at least the parts or the tools can get me home. The bag fits in the spare tire well of a Manx 1. How convenient and it's hidden by the back seat flap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: