Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
SAFETY FIRST.
All gas hoses and soft brake lines.
Check tires (including dates codes on sidewall).
Flush brake fluid.

RELIABILITY NEXT.
Review underneath for leaks and loose nuts and wires, and any corroded rubber parts. Note and take pics of any rust you find.
Check/top up transaxle.

Interesting you said that. When I got my dad's bus, the first thing was rebuild the brake system. Why did I do this? Because the last time it was done was 33 years ago. I know because I did it in 1990. I did it then because it was shot and it was only 22 years old. It's not like the braking systems on these are great and especially when comparing them to a modern car (which can stop much better).

Tires. Better off just getting new ones right now. Luckily, there's plenty of info here as to what to get, so no questions needed.

Fuel lines. Yes, a good thing to change no matter what. Last thing you want is to go on an epic trip and find that wonderful craft brew place. Stop for a few beers and then someone says while you are tossing one back, "Whoever owns that red van out there, it's on fire." On a side note, always carry a fire extinguisher with you.

Wiring. Best thing to do is get some scotchbrite, a flat blade screwdriver and some small pliers. Tighten up every flat blade screw you see with the wiring. Check every plug on connector you see. If loose, tighten with those small pliers. Then the scotchbrite, clean every fuse and those tabs they sit in. Bend the tabs to the point each fuse has lots of tension.

Do a walk around with someone in the drivers seat. Have that person operate all of the lights to make sure they work.

Finally, get a new battery and clean all terminals plus grounds. Whatever is the largest one that fits (which has been covered before) get that.

Plus, just change the belt.

I only bring this up because used vehicles traditionally look well, but lots of the details are looked over. Unless you are a mechanic by trade, take the previous owners word with a grain of salt unless they have a good known track record.

I bring this up because I'm over the days of just winging it. Do prep work ahead of time and enjoy the time driving the bus. Not fixing it on the side of the road.
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
SAFETY FIRST.
All gas hoses and soft brake lines.
Check tires (including dates codes on sidewall).
Flush brake fluid.

RELIABILITY NEXT.
Review underneath for leaks and loose nuts and wires, and any corroded rubber parts. Note and take pics of any rust you find.
Check/top up transaxle.

Interesting you said that. When I got my dad's bus, the first thing was rebuild the brake system. Why did I do this? Because the last time it was done was 33 years ago. I know because I did it in 1990. I did it then because it was shot and it was only 22 years old. It's not like the braking systems on these are great and especially when comparing them to a modern car (which can stop much better).

Tires. Better off just getting new ones right now. Luckily, there's plenty of info here as to what to get, so no questions needed.

Fuel lines. Yes, a good thing to change no matter what. Last thing you want is to go on an epic trip and find that wonderful craft brew place. Stop for a few beers and then someone says while you are tossing one back, "Whoever owns that red van out there, it's on fire." On a side note, always carry a fire extinguisher with you.

Wiring. Best thing to do is get some scotchbrite, a flat blade screwdriver and some small pliers. Tighten up every flat blade screw you see with the wiring. Check every plug on connector you see. If loose, tighten with those small pliers. Then the scotchbrite, clean every fuse and those tabs they sit in. Bend the tabs to the point each fuse has lots of tension.

Do a walk around with someone in the drivers seat. Have that person operate all of the lights to make sure they work.

Finally, get a new battery and clean all terminals plus grounds. Whatever is the largest one that fits (which has been covered before) get that.

Plus, just change the belt.

I only bring this up because used vehicles traditionally look well, but lots of the details are looked over. Unless you are a mechanic by trade, take the previous owners word with a grain of salt unless they have a good known track record.

I bring this up because I'm over the days of just winging it. Do prep work ahead of time and enjoy the time driving the bus. Not fixing it on the side of the road.

Thank you for the advice man. And I definitely agree.
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Are late bay seats compatibility with eary bay busses?
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Laird.Ostien wrote:
Are late bay seats compatibility with eary bay busses?

No, The runners are totally different. changed to the newer style in 1976.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Haven’t put the clamps on yet, but does this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

look right?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

You can shorten the fat hoses with sharp sturdy scissors or careful box cutter work. They can stretch a bit, too. They sell the long length but you are expected to shorten them to fit your engine and shroud.

You want a similar hose from the "stove" under the rear tin up to the large air cleaner opening (although I bet you are missing that stove and a rear apron with the corresponding hole in it).

Your breather hose should plug into the nipple past the weighted flap on the air cleaner snout.

Since you are not running a distributor vac can, but your carb had a nipple for the hose, check you don't have an uncapped port on the carb.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

[quote="KTPhil"]You can chorten the fat hoses with sharp sturdy scissors or careful box cutter work. They can stretch a bit, too. They sell the long length but you are expected to shorten them to fit your engine and shroud. End quote]

I was gonna ask if I could cut them, and for the rest of what u said I’m a tad confused. Do I need another hose? Or I normally would need a normal hose but I don’t have a port for it? And then are u suggesting to replace the black plastic air hose that connect the filter to the carb?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

I usually cut the fat hoses only minimally, instead compressing them first. With tight coils pressed together, they are much sturdier. But even fully compressed, you can shorten them so they don't bulge out. The extra length lets you cut out ripped ends that inevitably develop as you R&R them over the years.

The plastic hose from the carb to the air cleaner is fine. I am talking about the (approx) 3/4" diameter rubber hose from the breather box (oil filler) to the air cleaner. You can see an open 1/2" nipple on the snorkel near the main oil reservoir.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

[quote="Laird.Ostien"]
KTPhil wrote:
You can chorten the fat hoses with sharp sturdy scissors or careful box cutter work. They can stretch a bit, too. They sell the long length but you are expected to shorten them to fit your engine and shroud. End quote]

I was gonna ask if I could cut them, and for the rest of what u said I’m a tad confused. Do I need another hose? Or I normally would need a normal hose but I don’t have a port for it? And then are u suggesting to replace the black plastic air hose that connect the filter to the carb?
Scroll back a page to what KTPhil posted on March 25th- great picture showing how long to make the hoses, and shows the routing of the 3rd air hose that you're still missing at this point. AND in GREEN, shows the routing of the Oil Breather hose from your Oil Filler, over to the Port KTphil was talking about on the Filter Housing.
One picture you can post is looking DOWN in the Engine Compartment, next to your crank pulley on the right- This is where the 3rd hose would attach to the part Shown to you. So, with a picture at that spot, the group here on Samba will now know if you HAVE the port to attach to, OR NOT. Make sure the picture has enough light for clarity- thanks... Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

[quote="jlrftype7"]
Laird.Ostien wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
You can chorten the fat hoses with sharp sturdy scissors or careful box cutter work. They can stretch a bit, too. They sell the long length but you are expected to shorten them to fit your engine and shroud. End quote]

Scroll back a page to what KTPhil posted on March 25th- great picture showing how long to make the hoses, and shows the routing of the 3rd air hose that you're still missing at this point. AND in GREEN, shows the routing of the Oil Breather hose from your Oil Filler, over to the Port KTphil was talking about on the Filter Housing.
One picture you can post is looking DOWN in the Engine Compartment, next to your crank pulley on the right- This is where the 3rd hose would attach to the part Shown to you. So, with a picture at that spot, the group here on Samba will now know if you HAVE the port to attach to, OR NOT. Make sure the picture has enough light for clarity- thanks... Cool

I’m out right now but I know very wel there’s like a metal plate bolted over where that whole will be with something that looks like it hs a VW logo.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Take a picture of the radiator cap when you get a chance.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
So not helpful.... Razz Razz d'oh! d'oh! Laughing Laughing
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Not funny🤬
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

SOmeone blocked off the heat riser hole with the plate and screws. In cool weather, that helps keep carb icing down and will help with running.

You might have enough hose there to do all three - two heat exhanger hoses and the heat riser.

Get a better fuel hose clamp on that fuel pump and carb up top. Make sure the fuel hose barb is solid in the carb, too.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Laird.Ostien wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Not funny🤬

Laughing
Just messing with you Laird. Hope you and dad are having fun with the new bus.
When I was your age working in a mall we would send the newbie coworker store to store looking for our “Wall stretcher” we loaned out. All the stores were in on the joke Wink
We only did that to people with good attitudes that could take a joke.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

You wouldn't be the first to make this mistake...
Discount Tire Center's ad says they "replaced my radiator cap, fixed my radiator".

Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

[quote="Xevin"]
Laird.Ostien wrote:
Just messing with you Laird. Hope you and dad are having fun with the new bus.
When I was your age working in a mall we would send the newbie coworker store to store looking for our “Wall stretcher” we loaned out. All the stores were in on the joke
We only did that to people with good attitudes that could take a joke.

in boy scouts they either sent the newbies on a snipe hunt, or looking for a left-handed stove pipe, or both. the guys at camp whisett had an old stove pipe, so the joke was on the guys.

and, they did it to everyone, good sports or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Laird.Ostien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

The air hoses stretch a ton, should I cut them to a perfect fit when fully stretched or keep them compressed and fit it like that?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

Compressed, and you should buy the black paper hose.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Reply with quote

If you get the plastic hoses, you can pressure wash your motor without having to replace them.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: