Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OEM crank pulley diameter
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ottobevis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:25 pm    Post subject: OEM crank pulley diameter Reply with quote

Hi,
I need to buy a 6-3/4" T1 crankshaft pulley. I'd prefer to buy new but am not sure of the correct part number(s).

It needs to be 6 3/4" or less (7" is too wide as I have an oil line coming out next to it for a cooler/filter). It is being fitted to a universal AS41 case along with a 30amp 12v generator if that makes any difference to the snout diameter or length of the pulley.

I've seen some part numbers online (such as 111105251 A/B/C etc) but they do not list the diameter. If anyone has a part number that would be great. Thank you.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM crank pulley diameter Reply with quote

Around Ø7" was stock for a 1600 motor. Anything smaller will reduce air flow and compromise engine cooling.

"Power" pulleys are Ø5 3/4" but are not generally recommended.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)

Last edited by rcooled on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM crank pulley diameter Reply with quote

The stock size for a 1600 based engine is 6-3/4".

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM crank pulley diameter Reply with quote

What engine is it going on? 36/40/15/1600? The pulleys are all sort of interchangeable, but there are differences.
ottobevis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM crank pulley diameter Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies. It's a 2176cc, AS41 case, redline 6,500 RPM, doghouse, 37mm wide fan.

I had been thinking about using a 5 3/4" pulley, just because of the higher engine RPM to reduce belt slipage, but for now I will use a stock steel OEM 6-3/4".

Is there ever a need to place a shim/spacer behind the OEM crank pulley to get correct alignment with the generator pulley? I have a regular 30amp 12v generator. I know on aftermarket pulleys this is sometimes required. On the previous pulley I had installed (empi or similar aluminum) I did not use a spacer/shim (and I should have). I didn't realize the generator pulley was sticking out further to the rear by 1/8". First test drive the 36mm crank bolt came off (I think due to this although I may also not have torqued it correctly). I just don't want to put the new crank pulley on only to find it's too far forwards and then have to try and remove it without bending it (doing this with the engine in the car).
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: OEM crank pulley diameter Reply with quote

7” is the stick size. I run a 7” Billet CB pulley on my 2175 and a 6 3/4” CB Equalizer pulley on my 2275.

https://www.cbperformance.com/Crankshaft-Pulleys-Accessories-s/240.htm

Seems weird that you have an oil line in the way and can’t use the 7” pulley. Can you post us a picture of your set up.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: OEM crank pulley diameter Reply with quote

ottobevis wrote:

Is there ever a need to place a shim/spacer behind the OEM crank pulley to get correct alignment with the generator pulley? I have a regular 30amp 12v generator. I know on aftermarket pulleys this is sometimes required. On the previous pulley I had installed (empi or similar aluminum) I did not use a spacer/shim (and I should have). I didn't realize the generator pulley was sticking out further to the rear by 1/8". First test drive the 36mm crank bolt came off (I think due to this although I may also not have torqued it correctly). I just don't want to put the new crank pulley on only to find it's too far forwards and then have to try and remove it without bending it (doing this with the engine in the car).

I just fought this issue on a friends car.
All aftermarket tin, and the generator was 3/8 too far to the rear.
3/16 of the issue was the Empi generator pulley, replaced it with a good OEM and then I was just 3/16-1/8 off. I used a crank spacer rather than fight the tin
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: OEM crank pulley diameter Reply with quote

CB sells a shim kit to space the alt/gen and the crank pulley... i've never needed to so that.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ottobevis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM crank pulley diameter Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback. So it could be my aftermarket 36hp doghouse shroud pushing the generator rearwards that's causing the issue. I may still need a spacer/shim behind the OEM pulley to get the correct alignment with the generator pulley.

I think my safest bet is to use a crank spacer, install and torque the crank pulley. If I then find the crank pulley too far rearwards I can just use a generator pulley spacer/shim (not the shims for belt tension but the smaller aftermarket washer for pulley alignment). I think this will be easier than trying to remove the pulley with the engine in the car.

The crank pulley is a tapered fit right? In other word's the crankshaft end and/or pulley are slightly tapered, causing the pulley to fit snug. The snout of the pulley should not bottom out against the oil slinger in the case.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM crank pulley diameter Reply with quote

ottobevis wrote:
The crank pulley is a tapered fit right? In other word's the crankshaft end and/or pulley are slightly tapered, causing the pulley to fit snug. The snout of the pulley should not bottom out against the oil slinger in the case.

There's no taper on either the crank or the pulley. It's just a very close fit.
And the pulley snout definitely should bottom on the oil slinger.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM crank pulley diameter Reply with quote

The pulley is what keeps the slinger from riding loose on the crankshaft
ottobevis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM crank pulley diameter Reply with quote

Thank you for confirming. Now I think about it that makes sense (why sell aftermarket spacers/shims if it were tapered).

I probably need around 1/8" worth of crank shims to get it right. Will measure once I take the engine support bar off.

Another issue that may not helping is a gap between the silver generator body and the backing plate (about 1/8"). I'm wondering if this is normal or if I should take the backing plate off and try and bend it closer where the generator touches it so there is no gap?

It's probably my fan shroud that's the problem. It's aftermarket and I spent quite a bit of time bending and welding (filing in) the edges to make sure it fitted tight in to the cylinder tins. I also glued a thick foam gasket around the doghouse cooler. So basically the shroud is probably too far forwards and is not flexing when the generator is pushed forwards. If the engine was out of the car I would loosen the shroud bolts and move it forwards a bit. But as I am not removing the engine I will use crank shims.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM crank pulley diameter Reply with quote

ottobevis wrote:
Another issue that may not helping is a gap between the silver generator body and the backing plate (about 1/8"). I'm wondering if this is normal or if I should take the backing plate off and try and bend it…

That gap is not normal and the cause should be addressed…and not by bending anything. The stack-up of the generator and related parts needs to be re-checked. Did you place the reinforcing ring between the generator and the backing plate by mistake?

Quote:
So basically the shroud is probably too far forwards and is not flexing…

The shroud is not intended to flex.

Quote:
I would loosen the shroud bolts and move it forwards a bit.

The shroud’s position is determined by its fit with the cylinder cooling tins. There’s really no fore/aft adjustment provided.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: