Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Won't start...hopefully simple
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mph1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:03 pm    Post subject: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

I just bought a 1964 Bug that's been sitting for years. 6V. Turns over by hand. Put in a new battery. Only turns barely once then stops. When I crank by hand, it is very tight. Any suggestions? Thanks.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

Pull the plugs, squirt a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder, rotate by hand to get oil spread around. The lack of compression will make it easier to spin.
Does it have oil in it? Once the cylinders are oiled up, crank it with the coil disconnected till the oil light goes out.
Then put the plugs back in.
You know the gas will be nasty, so you might think about emptying the tank, and use a gas can with a tube to the fuel pump inlet to see if it fires up.
mph1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

Copy. Will do that. I replaced all the fuel lines. No gas was left in it prior to storage. Could the starter be an issue?
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

It won't rotate 360 degrees and more?

I'd take the valve covers off, look to see if all the pushrods are where they should be, and turn the engine to see where it stops at.

Removing the rockers to free the valves and remove pushrods(keep em organized as to where they came out so you can put em back where they came from) might be next step.

There might be a reason it was parked.
mph1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

It rotates the full 360. It seems to be free at one point then very tight at another point. The engine was supposedly rebuilt years ago. Again...supposedly. I tried the plugs, oil, as you suggested with no change.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

Post an image of the battery cables at the battery.

Engine getting tight could be the compression of each cylinder. No compression means no burn in the cylinders.
mph1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

OK, those do not look too bad. Did you clean the insides of the clamps for good connections there? Did you clean between the ground cable and the body? FYI that grommet on the positive cable needs to be replaced ASAP. If left like it is the positive cable insulation will get worn thru by the metal edge of the hole and short out there, possible to result in fire and even battery explosion. CYA and clean the positive cable where it bolts to the starter solenoid. Also invest in a tube of dielectric grease to use on connections you clean up and tighten back down. Dielectric grease will keep water and oxygen from getting into connections, so as to keep the connections without voltage drops.

mph1970 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

Did you make sure the battery is fully charged up? Just because it is new, does not mean it does not need a charge.

If all of that does not do the trick, then time to pull the starter to go thru it and its bushings.
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

Make sure all the grounds are and connections on the starter are really clean. Wire brush them. A car sitting that long is probably due for some cleaning

Slow hard crank could be timing to advanced i think. Starter could be tired.
klroger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

Also make sure the ground strap between the pan & transaxle is in good shape. Mine was really corroded when I started going over the electrical...
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

mph1970 wrote:
Could the starter be an issue?

Possibly, but don't "start" there. (See what I did there?) You've been given great advice here so far.

Too many people attack a problem by throwing parts at it first thing.

Another possibility is the starter bushing. If it's really worn it can cause the starter armature to drag. If all the suggestions here fail, you should pull the starter and remove the starter bushing from the bell housing. If it's worn, replace it with a new one (they're cheap), reinstall the starter, and try again.
But please follow the suggestions here. These are some smart guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

[quote="wdfifteen"]
mph1970 wrote:

Another possibility is the starter bushing. If it's really worn it can cause the starter armature to drag. If all the suggestions here fail, you should pull the starter and remove the starter bushing from the bell housing. If it's worn, replace it with a new one (they're cheap), reinstall the starter, and try again.
But please follow the suggestions here. These are some smart guys.

Do remember that there is also a bushing in the FRONT of the starter that will wear. When either bushing gets too worn the armature inside the starter will lean over and grind inside the field coils. That will remove insulation and allow the electrical flow to short out. Just before that shorting out happens the starter will turn the engine slower due to the drag.

While starter is out for maintenance, good time to shine up the surfaces wear the starter and transaxle mate together, and dielectric grease those surfaces for a good ground. Do same between the starter solenoid and the starter body to get another good ground there..
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

While starter is out for maintenance, good time to shine up the surfaces wear the starter and transaxle mate together, and dielectric grease those surfaces for a good ground.

Nooo! You want conductive grease, not dielectric grease. Dielectric grease is used as an insulator and you want good conductivity between the starter and the transmission.

https://youtu.be/fL1BMKKcvYY?si=6SZrDLLLkCvv7t11
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:
Nooo! You want conductive grease, not dielectric grease. Dielectric grease is used as an insulator and you want good conductivity between the starter and the transmission.

Fortunately the big metal parts of the VW bolted will cut thru the dielectric grease and make a good contact. VW in the workshop manual states to use a sealant between starter and transaxle.

VW used a clear non-conductive grease in the headlight and other dash switches. Where if one used a conductive grease, that would cause voltage to pass from one side to the other even when the switch was in the off position.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

Here is a good video about some of the myths about dielectric grease. #2 covers the electrical flow.

Link

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

Here is another video from Newgate Simms showing a multi pin connector that if one used conductive grease would just short out everything. Solution dielectric grease.

Link

About Newgate Simms on their website: https://shop.newgatesimms.com/about-us/
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

This quoted from 3M website:

Quote:
"Dielectric grease for electronic equipment, ignition systems, and electrical terminals." and "Bulb bases: Tail lights, turn lights, marker lights, stop lights, convenience lights, trailer lights."

3M website page about the dielectric grease:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40070802/
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

Did the starter turn the engine over while the plugs were out?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Did the starter turn the engine over while the plugs were out?

How could that make any difference?------this thread is all about the joys of dielectric grease. (or is it bipolar geese?)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: