Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic trans weep hole.... temporarily block it?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic trans weep hole.... block it? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I'm going to have a stroke......

Why?
You only said don't ..... you didn't say why or what horrors will befall.

Aretha Franklin put it to music. Razz

Sorry couldnt resist.

This thread is getting funny, We all love you Dave!!!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic trans weep hole.... block it? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

This a analogous to using sandpaper to remove those bilsters from the member you caught in the cat house, when a shot of penicillin is in order.

Have the scars gone away Abs? Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic trans weep hole.... block it? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Why?

With all do respect, why bother?

Any time I give an educated opinion I get met with opposition. The toolbag with the subaru re-ring is a classic example....notice he's been quiet lately?

So, I'll tell everyone like I told an ex-girlfriend....do whatcha want...you're gonna anyway

Volvo used this very same seal arrangement with a weep hole in their Haldex units...both sections vented to atmosphere. I may or may not have been told to fill the weep hole to get a car out of warranty and about 6 months later the Haldex was destroyed because of gear oil migration into the Haldex fluid.

So now comes the "yea but the other seal...." and what you fail to realize is the chamber you have just sealed up IS NOT vented like the other 2 are so there will come a point where the chamber has enough oil in it to force it into the other seal.

I literally witnessed this same thing happen. But, whatever.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic trans weep hole.... block it? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Why?

Any time I give an educated opinion I get met with opposition. The toolbag with the subaru re-ring is a classic example....notice he's been quiet lately?

So, I'll tell everyone like I told an ex-girlfriend....do whatcha want...you're gonna anyway

Volvo used this very same seal arrangement with a weep hole in their Haldex units...both sections vented to atmosphere. I may or may not have been told to fill the weep hole to get a car out of warranty and about 6 months later the Haldex was destroyed because of gear oil migration into the Haldex fluid.

So now comes the "yea but the other seal...." and what you fail to realize is the chamber you have just sealed up IS NOT vented like the other 2 are so there will come a point where the chamber has enough oil in it to force it into the other seal.

Not to mention, but these oil seals are often designed to seal best from one side, but not the other. So if the exterior is pressurized, well the seals fails easier than if the other side is pressurized. The pressure helps make the seal, one way.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic trans weep hole.... block it? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Why?

I KNOW THAT HALDEX GAME.... Razz Razz Land Rover got it from Volvo as Ford owned all of us at the time. And the LR2 was Volvo drivetrain basically.
Volvo also gave their Techs way better info on all the unique things with the 2nd gen Haldex Couplers than LR did. Mad Mad
And we started seeing shops plugging up the weep hole over time. Been there, seen that.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic trans weep hole.... block it? Reply with quote

^^^^

Yea, the 3.2 was about the most boring engine on the planet...the JLR version of the slant 6 but it moaned and groaned down the road without very many problems

I did a LOT of pinion/diff bearings in those and oddly, VCNA had us replace them as a unit but JLR had the procedure to do the bearings. I bought all the tools from JLR to do them.

No joke, doing them on the side literally paid my mortgage for like 18mo straight. At the time...volvo wanted 12k for the rear diff without the haldex.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic trans weep hole.... block it? Reply with quote

To be clear Dave, I was kidding. Drive it, insure the rest is good, find a weekend and fix it right.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic trans weep hole.... block it? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Why?

I take offense that you think I ignore you.
Your answers are ones I seek and read.
But
You answer to me a page ago was simply "don't".
No why, no reason, no nothing.... just to not do it.
Like asking Mom, can I have a cookie?
No.
Well why no? Tell me why I can't. Is company coming, do we eat dinner in five minutes, have they gone bad and will make me sick?
No isn't an answer except one of convenience.

Anyway, sorry you feel that way and if I've made you feel unappreciated, please accept my apologies.
Next time, tell me.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic trans weep hole.... block it? Reply with quote

The earlier 003 transaxles only had the one seal if I remember correctly instead of the back to back pair, but certainly don't remember which way the single seal pointed. So I don't think plugging the drain is that big of a deal. Maybe remove the vent for the differential section so there is zero pressure or vacuum in the box. A pipe to hose fitting with a hose running downward a ways should keep dirt from getting into the gear box through the vent hole
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic trans weep hole.... block it? Reply with quote

The seals are positioned so the spring side faces the fluid. I’ve done more Audi and Porsche units. It’s a more common failure for ATF to end up in the differential. I recall an O ring under the seal housing too.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic trans weep hole.... block it? Reply with quote

You can’t take offense about getting ribbed in plugging a weep hole. I’m just burned that skills beat me to it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: