Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help upgrading to 1600
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jw66split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Help upgrading to 1600 Reply with quote

I am trying to upgrade my 66 bus to 1600SP. I have acquired an AH case, installed new bearings and seals, pistons and cylinders. I have used the AH fan shroud and transferred all other components from my 1500 H engine including generator, distributor, carb, SP manifold and heads.
The engine is on my test bench but will not fire or start.
Have I done something fundamentally wrong or should I continue to play with valve and ignition till she goes?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you getting fuel? Spark? Air? Its usually one of those three. If I were to guess I'd say you have your timing off probably. Double check everything and let us know if you need more help.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
jw66split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel is available, actually plugs get wet from attempting to start. Spark is present at all plugs when removed and tested. Compression is good.
I have adjusted valves after making a tool from an old plug with a bolt through it to determine TDC at no. 1. I have set timing with a lamp using mark on pully at case split 5btdc. Is it possible my timing is still way off?
Best I have got is a flame from exhaust!
toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What dizzy do you have? It sounds like your 180 degrees out. If you are running a 009 then you'll want to move the timing to 7.5 BTDC. Unless you put the distributor drive shaft in, and you know its right, it could be 180 out. I know I've done it! Embarassed
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
Carl-Erik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my first engine-rebuild, I also missed the chapter in the handbook, about how to correctly put the dist. shaft in. The engine didn't start, it made wierd nioses and I thought it smelled funny to... then after a few days I got it right. I had to adjust the distributor by turning it, and move all the wires 2 steps around to get it fireing in the right order.. It's a very easy mistake to make.. I have managed to do it a few more times since.. Now when I put together engines, the distributor shaft is among the first things I put in.

And it doesn't have to be exactly 180 degrees out, if you just slotted the drive shaft down the hole.. it could be just about any number of degrees out.

So most likely that is your problem.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jw66split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.
Yes it was out by 180 degrees, while I suspected this, it took me awhile to fully understand what was wrong.
I rotated the engine by hand several times while watching the valves on cylinder no. 1. It soon became obvious that I was trying to fire on the exhaust stroke. Set the no. 1 to TDC on the FIRING stroke, reinstalled the distributor drive, readjusted the valves and she started.
I understand ignition and valve timing much better now. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: