Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madoski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Hi, just by coincidence, I've made plans to drive my Ghia over there this weekend. Not Type 3 though. You mentioned in another post that there may be other cars besides T3 participating?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Guys must be having some fun if nobody posted any pics!

Wish I was there.. Sad

What’s That Noise?!?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Guys must be having some fun if nobody posted any pics!

Wish I was there.. Sad

It because they are posting all over FB.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Here's a few random pics from my phone to see what you missed!
26 cars on Friday and around 30ish on Saturday, including a 911 and a mini van. We had an amazing weekend, made a bunch of new friends, and cant't wait until the next one!

Instagram #type3rally --->https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/type3rally/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Morro Rock

Pismo Beach

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

OK, here you go! Most of these pics are up to 1600 pixels, so click on them once or twice to enlarge.

This was the best Rally yet. Great planning and effort from Scott, Tom, and many others who gave in big and small ways. About 28 cars, two great driving days covering 250 miles, and a meeting of friends old and new.

Here is my experience, which started Friday morning before daylight. I met up with Jim and his ride, Clemmie's cousin, another '71 FI fastback. We then joined a larger group at Arby's in Ventura. This included the contingent from the south (Michael of ISPwest and many others joining him in Long Beach), and the northeast (Mike and his T-4 powered '68 fastback from Santa Clarita. There were others as well, but the rush to keep moving kept me from taking roll. Who all was with us?

Up through Ventura, Carpenteria (terrible construction/commute traffic), Santa Barbara, and then up the grade in Gaviota Pass, then leveling off through Buellton (near Los Olivos of “Sideways” fame). Our gas stop was in Santa Maria.

Northward through Nipomo, Arroyo Grande, Pismo Beach, San Luis Obispo, then took PCH (CA Highway 1), through Morro Bay and a short hop to Cayucos, meeting at the Borradori Garage about 30 minutes late, just in time to catch the route briefing. Total drive time, about 4 hours.

The Friday route took us south along backroads and small towns, making a stop to collect the cars.

At this stop, we came across a retired fellow who was collecting walnuts from a peculiar looking roadside tree. The gentleman told us all about them, and it reminded me that not all folks are city people and in a rush. Vacations are for little mental resets, no? A few of us took some nuts for later roasting.

We stopped for lunch at the Port San Luis Pier, a really scenic stop with good seafood at several restaurants.

I never met the owner of this late model Brazilian Puma.

Here is my new screen saver:

Southward to Oceano Dunes, where we were allowed to drive onto the sand. This is a view out Clemmie's window I had never seen before in her 46 year life.

A really nice place to stop.

Damn, this is a view for either a VW sales brochure or the Chamber of Commerce:

Next we drove into Arroyo Grande from the backside, along scenic roads full of farms and wineries. Running a bit behind the schedule, and growing somewhat tired, we soldiered on through parts of San Luis Obispo. Several nice towns with old style main streets and very few chain outlets.

We headed back to the coast and stopped in Morro Bay under the looming Morro Rock.

Cayucos is off in the distance.

Back to the Garage for recuperation and a toast of Patron, thanks to Pedro.

ˇSalud!

Dinner was served to us: Brats, kraut, and potato salad. Sehr Gut!

I’d like to thank those who prepared this meal for us, but I do not have the names. Tom and Scott, please post the names of these great chefs!

Saturday we had two legs that are among the greatest drives I’ve ever made in California.

Ahead of the drive, the Type 34 folks gathered what may be a record number of Ghias in one place (7).

Nice rear ends.

Nice paint!

I have just a few photos and short videos (one posted later in this thread), so I hope others with better cameras captured the beauty and fun of these twisty, shady, up and down and all around routes. Driving through overhanging oak tree branches hung with Spanish moss, it was magical.

Twisty roads? Hell yeah!

The route took a backroad to CA-46, and took us to a point where we split into two groups. The groups took opposite ways around the loop, so we could both pass a dozen Type 3s and get a taste of what others saw as we rallied about central California.

Next up, a drive back to the coast, stopping near Hearst Castle for a lunch stop.

Now we headed further up the coast. VWs as far as the eye can see, and the beautiful central coast range in the background.

Next we drove as far up PCH as we could, stopped by the massive slide from last year’s El Nińo rains. We doubled back for another passing by of our train.

A nice break at a windy vista point in the elephant seal sanctuary.

Then we headed back to Cayucos, meeting at Hardie Park for another amazing dinner served by chefs not known to me (Help!)

Who needs an ice cooler?

Then the raffle, with a long list of great prizes from clubs, individuals, businesses…

Those hubcaps in the foreground were awards given by the Sacramento-based Type 3 Army, very thoughtful! Thanks to those sponsors and individuals who provided prizes, including the posters in the background above.

Sunday morning we had fantastic breakfast burritos made from the prior dinners’ leftovers. Just friggin’ awesome!

I want to give shouts-outs to Pedro and Jack, who seem to be the resident roaming mechanics any time there is trouble, including failed brakes and clutch cable. Their efforts changed a downer to a high for at least a couple of Ralliers. These guys are real givers!

Jim, Mike, and I headed out after the group said goodbyes, south back to SLO and then south along the 101 to Ventura.

Okay, that’s a wrap! This was my second Rally and it was nonstop fun. Great planning and effort made this go smoothly and enjoyably for everyone. These guys (and gals) really know how to put it together. I can’t wait for 2020!

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:35 pm; edited 7 times in total
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Critter1 wrote:
26 cars on Friday and around 30ish on Saturday, including a 911 and a mini van. We had an amazing weekend, made a bunch of new friends, and cant't wait until the next one!

Nice photos Justin! Glad you enjoyed the rally. Really good to meet you. And those pinstriped and hand lettered Type 3 Army awards were amazing!
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast

Last edited by t3kg on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
OK, here you go! Most of these pics are up to 1600 pixels, so click on them once or twice to enlarge.

This was the best Rally yet. Great planning and effort from Scott, Tom, and many others who gave in big and small ways. About 28 cars, two great driving days covering 250 miles, and a meeting of friends old and new.

Wow — great comprehensive writeup Phil! Really nice photos too. Awesome!
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Glad to see a successful gathering!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing pics of the event. Great turnout and some amazing looking cars. Is there a FB page where more pics might reside?
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Thanks for sharing pics of the event. Great turnout and some amazing looking cars. Is there a FB page where more pics might reside?

There's a 2017 Type 3 Rally event page. Most updates are there.

What a great event! Best so far. I can't wait to go through all my pictures and share some of them here...I have over 700 to go through. Shocked

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:

This link will take you to the Instagram page with photos tagged with #type3rally

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/type3rally/
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

t3kg wrote:
Critter1 wrote:

Nice photos Justin! Glad you enjoyed the rally. Really good to meet you. And those pinstriped and hand lettered Type 3 Army awards were amazing!

Thank you! I wish we could've done more. I'm glad the awards went over well with everyone. All four cars were well deserving in our opinion! By the time the awards were handed out, it was too dark to get good pics of the owners next to their cars... The next three years can't go buy fast enough for us!

Pedro's T34 is beautiful and the story behind how he got it ready for the rally in the last two months sealed the deal for him. The T34 group was a hard pick as all of them were beautiful!

Eric Hand and his original 63 ruby red Notchback goes with out saying. He gave up eating lunch on Saturday to help fix a clutch cable issue from another rallier. Not only that, but he had a NOS clutch cable on hand for the fix. Eric also helped with a brake issue that occurred earlier in the day on the pink Notch. (Sorry, I don't know the owners name.) Eric is a very selfless individual.

We spoke with Andy Kimball Saturday morning in length about his patina Fastback. He shared some cool stories about the car, how he recently clear coated it because the car had lost a lot of its original paint over the years. He also towed his camp trailer to the rally and camped for the weekend. Very hard core!

My friends and I that were sporting the #type3army shirts all weekend kept commenting on how clean we thought Jason Andy's 69 Squareback was. Jason's a super cool dude with a chill attitude. The best action pic I've seen that came out of the weekend was that of Jason's car stuck in the sand on Pismo Beach with five guys pushing it to safety. I believe Lee took that photo? (Borrowed from FB.)

JeeJeeJason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

What a weekend!

This was by far the best VW event that I have been to with one of the best crowds. Thanks to everyone that was involved in setting this up and making it go so smooth for the rest of us that joined.

I've got a bunch of photos to run through off of my camera, but here are a few of my favorite phone snaps...

Glad I could help make it memorable by taking my squareback off roading through the softest sand on the beach! The Iwo Jima flag raising photo of all VW photos.

Stuck AF

Beauties

Sexy Boyz drinking sexy coffee

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

I just want to add how cool the really old Type 3s were. I drive a late model for personal reasons, but I love the oldies, and there were some really old oldies there, all body types, many with original paint and interiors. True time machines. Very handsome while remaining plain like VWs were known for. It's hard not to think the Type 3 really was intended to replace the Bug, seeing as how it was designed before the USA explosion of demand in the '60s. I saw the grey notch (don't know whose it is), and I expected to see a well-dressed, pipe smoking family man with a hat driving it. Weird how a car can conjure up an image. Sort of like expecting a sexy blond wearing big dark glasses and a hair scarf blowing in the wind in that red T34 on the beach!

Thanks to those who labored to find and bring those early models back for the rest of us to enjoy.

An embarrassment of riches on this Rally!
JeeJeeJason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Thanks to those who labored to find and bring those early models back for the rest of us to enjoy.

An embarrassment of riches on this Rally!

Way to handle that beach when we turned the wrong way. You gassed it and made it across, haha.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

JeeJeeJason wrote:
Way to handle that beach when we turned the wrong way. You gassed it and made it across, haha.

I learned on mud and snow... never stop, give it gas! Turns out it works on sand, too.
chiprodriguez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

This was an EPIC weekend to say the least. I'm kicking myself for missing the 50th and 2014 rallies. Im locked in from now on. I drove the wheels of the notch with an ear to ear smile the whole time logging over 800 miles on her. It was great catching up with NONA founders Lee and Pedro as well as 1500 club members Jack and Scott, Gizmo Bob absent. Speaking of Scott, I'd like to give a huge thanks to you and Tom for organizing and putting this event on and thanks for putting the bug in my ear at Treffen. Cant wait til the next one.
I have also posted a few pics on instagram #type3rally #type3rally2017

Last edited by chiprodriguez on Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Wow! Great photos and a great event. Will have to try and make the next one, even if it is as a passenger...
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
https://www.carartbyjohn.com
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Looked like a great time by all!

Note to self: Self - don't miss the next one.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Looks like such a great trip!! Wish I could have made it but my car isn't even close to ready. Hopefully ill be up and running for the next one!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: