Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

An Allstate rebuild
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Thought I'd start this thread as I've been in the process of rebuilding my trailer while I have some time from rebuilding my 67 Squareback. This trailer was in poor condition as the floor and subframe was rotted in different areas. The first order of business was to removed and inspect parts taken off to See what was salvageable and what was going to the scrap heap. After disassembling the suspension, having the spot weld areas blasted, I was able to remove the floor and salvage the cross-members. I ended up with some pieces to work with and some pieces I need to source. The wheels were rotted in places so I elected to do an upgrade of them by adding 5lug hubs. In doing so, I needed to upgrade the size of the spindle (from 3/4" to 1 1/16")as well.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The side walls were ok with a little welding that needed to be done to fill in some small holes. My plan is to spray raptor liner on the inside of the bed so the pitting that's in there will get covered up.

Here's what I had to start with in my rebuild of the bed of the trailer. Took the floor with the attached subframe to the metal shop and asked them if they could replicate the pieces. They provided exactly what I needed...

3/8in holes where drilled about every 4in so I could weld the floor and side walls together. The welds were later ground flush to accommodate the floor being put in place.

The leaf spring mounting point on the original frame piece had a section of pipe welded in the subframes channel. I found a piece of pipe with nice wall thickness at Ace Hardware in the electrical section. The piece was cut to length inside the channel and welded in. I took it a step further and welded the outside edge too the subframe as well. Since the leaf spring tubing has been completed, I'm working on welding in the cross-members. then mock out the suspension. I have my 4.8 x 4 wheels on order and they're on their way from Eastern Marine. More to follow.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's some crazy work. Nice job.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Had a little time today to finish welding my floor in. Will do some grinding and prep for primer. My clam top is being shaped at the metal shop and will hopefully be picking it up. I can then send the top pieces along with the tongue and leaf springs off to get blasted. Look forward to getting back to this project as my square is almost done.

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Lookin' good! Nice work!
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Last couple of days were spent prepping my parts for some epoxy primer, After getting the pieces from the blaster, I hand sanded the bed that will get paint with 80 Grit to get the roughness off the metal. The remainder was left as is so the Raptor would grab hold. Here are some shots of my progress thus far.
Fresh epoxy sprayed to seal up the metal...

After a couple of hours in the sun, I ran some seam sealer on the underside...

And lastly, yesterday afternoon, I used a bottle of raptor on the underside...

I'm letting it dry and will be spraying the inside of the bed when I get off work this evening, Progress is going on it!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild

Last edited by MonT3 on Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Last week I had sprayed some raptor on the inside of my trailer. The stuff sprays on so nice. I used a whole liter bottle on it.

This week I masked off the area where I'm going to spray some color and added three coats of primer to it as well as the shell sides and frame.

I have some sanding to do and there's some metal pitting so I may be using a lite coat of glaze in some areas. Hope to have this part done on my next few days off.

I've been playing around with a roof rack for this trailer as well. Kinda made it to match my roof rack on my square. I'm happy with it.

The new axle spindles have been welded in place and is at the powder coater along with the leaf springs and tongue. I haven't done anything with the fenders and tailgate as well as the new shell cover. Instead of using a two piece setup, I opted for a one piece and asked the fab guys to make it 22 gauge. It's coming together pretty nicely. Looking forward to getting back at it next weekend.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild

Last edited by MonT3 on Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Awesome Job on the Allstate Restoration.
I mainly use my Allstate Trailer for all of my camping equipment, EZ-UP, Tent, base camp set-up.
I too opted to install a Luggage Rack on the top. Great place to put more Luggage and Coolers.
Keep up the good work !
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Typ3nut wrote:
Awesome Job on the Allstate Restoration.
I mainly use my Allstate Trailer for all of my camping equipment, EZ-UP, Tent, base camp set-up.
I too opted to install a Luggage Rack on the top. Great place to put more Luggage and Coolers.
Keep up the good work !

Thanks for the compliment on the trailer. I'm working on it in between the square and work. I have just about everything except the tires and a spare tire mount that I need to fab up. I hope to get some sanding done before I head back to work. I like your trailer a lot as you did a killer job on it.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Killer work
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

vintagevwnut wrote:
Killer work

Thanks vintagevwnut.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

It looks great and I always keep an eye out for them when they pop up. Check out this one on craigslist that someone must have refinished. Cool
http://rmn.craigslist.org/for/5637682354.html

1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
It looks great and I always keep an eye out for them when they pop up. Check out this one on craigslist that someone must have refinished. Cool

That's a nice trailer and by the looks of it the owner may have upgraded a few things. Looks like I'll have to wait to get my clam top mocked out to fab up my tire mount as that's the same location where I'd like to place my spare but didn't think the clam shell would rub but it looks like it might. I've searched and asked in another thread is anyone had a pic of the mount to get an idea of that they look like as I seen any references. I've been debating folding some metal up to make a bracket or buying the HF one and modifying it meet what I'm after. Still have some time to ponder that. Thanks for sharing the link!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Did a little bodywork and a little mock up work on the shell to mark the holes I'll need to drill...

The side walls of the cover a ripples and I decided to leave them as they are just like the factory did...

I opted for the one piece top. It's a little challenging to handle but I'll get to it possibly tonight...

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Trailer rebuild is coming together very nice! I have seen those X indentations on the sides of the top painted/pin striped with a contrasting color. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Red Fau Veh wrote:
It looks great and I always keep an eye out for them when they pop up. Check out this one on craigslist that someone must have refinished. 8)

That's a nice trailer and by the looks of it the owner may have upgraded a few things. Looks like I'll have to wait to get my clam top mocked out to fab up my tire mount as that's the same location where I'd like to place my spare but didn't think the clam shell would rub but it looks like it might. I've searched and asked in another thread is anyone had a pic of the mount to get an idea of that they look like as I seen any references. I've been debating folding some metal up to make a bracket or buying the HF one and modifying it meet what I'm after. Still have some time to ponder that. Thanks for sharing the link!

MonT3,
Here's a few photo's from my 1971 Allstate Trailer with Spare Tire Mount.
Measurements seem to be around 5 1/4" Square and Tire mounts thru Lugnut holes.
Spare Tire does come close to Clam Shell Top when closing and Close to the Fender.

MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Typ3nut wrote:
MonT3 wrote:
Red Fau Veh wrote:

MonT3,
Here's a few photo's from my 1971 Allstate Trailer with Spare Tire Mount.
Measurements seem to be around 5 1/4" Square and Tire mounts thru Lugnut holes.
Spare Tire does come close to Clam Shell Top when closing and Close to the Fender.

Thanks for posting those pics type3nut!. That gives me a good image of what it looks like as well as the dimensions. I have access to some 2" wide flat stock I'm planning on using. I have some errands to run in the AM and will be looking for a suitable wing nut sub if not I'll fab up some. Thanks again!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Yesterday I placed the shell top on and measured the thing up, drilled the holes and screwed it down. It fits really nice. I did have to trim a little as there seemed to be alot play on the bottom frame once assembled. The top hung over about 1/2 inch on the sides. I trimmed the inner frames to close the gap. I need to trim the ends of the shells lip at the front and rear to flush it up. Then it's sanding time and get some flat stock to make a spare tire mount (Thanks again for the pics Typ3nut!). Here's my mocked up trailer minus the top cross-member but with my rack sitting in place but not screwed down...

One thing I want to do is to Fab up a nice set of arms for the brake/turn signals like Glenn As trailer. Maybe if it cools down I can get back out there and start sanding that thing down.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

This evening I finished off two separate projects. One of which was to make a spare tire mount for the trailer. Using the measurements provided by Typ3nut (thanks again man!), I used some 1/8" thick x 2in wide flat stock to make my bracket. Using 5 1/4" as the overall length to all the sides, I measured 1" at the mount points following the pics provided. Being my rim has a 5-bolt pattern, I'll need to make a mod to the lower portion to bolt the rim to the bracket. I need to drill those holes. Will be making a trip to the local hardware store tomorrow to pick up some nuts and bolts. Last portion will be to come up with a way to lock in place. Here's a few pic...

Not bad for my first attempt at my spare tire bracket ...

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Builds been going a little slow but has gained some momentum. Glazing over some of the pitting. One more day of sanding then a few coats of primer. Need to mock the mounting of the spare tire bracket. Hope to have this piece painted by the end of the month.

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: An Allstate rebuild Reply with quote

Needing some help from Allstate owners. I getting my small bits ready for some paint and came across these hinge arms. I'd like to know if these have been stressed and need to be massaged back into shape...

I believe they need to be at a 90 degree angle but not sure. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: