Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jan 64 Variant "S" Found?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Jan 64 Variant "S" Found? Reply with quote

Had a great meeting with a VW guy who had a few squares. Got a few pieces that I was looking for but became intrigued by a ratty schwarz Variant "S" model with CA plates tucked in some bushes. I spent some time Looking it over and realized whom ever the PO was they did alot to this car and it's in pretty bad shape. The Front side must have hit something as the hood and apron are dented up. The support piece that held the VIN plate is no longer there. However, I did manage to find the VIN plate which reads to be a Jan 64 model. I could confirm this as there are some attributes such as a lone surviving piece of plastic door trim. The car has no engine and the seats are gone and some highbacks were used in the car. The fuel cluster and clock red needles are still there but the speedo has a white needle. The pan is shot as the rear is gone. It looks an owner at some point painted the headliner with rattle can black. One of the hinges to the hatch has been somehow ripped off. The body doesn't seem to be in too bad a condition aside from the front damage. Few dints and dents. Oh, forgot to mention the windshield is gone as well so the dash is smoked. I have an offer on it and hope to move it out of there in a couple of weeks at best. A few pics that I could take
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thought I'd include this pic of the a branch growing thru the door handle opening

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild

Last edited by MonT3 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those rear reflectors are cool...are they French? They look different.
Shaven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice finds Monte.
Now find me a RHD one please Laughing
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This earlier black Variant needs to saved. Good on you.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69SquareGuy wrote:
This earlier black Variant needs to saved. Good on you.

x2. nice find
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dc wrote:
Those rear reflectors are cool...are they French? They look different.

I noticed and that and was thinking French too.

You had me at Schwartz.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Factory two-tone black, with L87 pearl white roof? Cool Cool

Wishing you success to purchase it, and resurrect it.
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Jan 64 Variant "S" Found? Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:

Thought I'd include this pic of the a branch growing thru the door handle opening

Another great find! So, what's the story? Were you able to get it? That’s some cool patina, you should cut the tree top and bottom and keep it in the door handle! Very Happy
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Jan 64 Variant "S" Found? Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

Another great find! So, what's the story? Were you able to get it? That’s some cool patina, you should cut the tree top and bottom and keep it in the door handle! Very Happy

Well, seems this car exchanged many hands while residing in SD. As you can see it has CA plates on it but the current owner can't recall the car ever getting on the road since it was brought up and since he's had it, it's been at his place resting in the same spot for nearly 18yrs or so. Too bad the windshield is gone but I may have a lead on one. The inside is pretty ratted out. Seats are gone and the highbacks in there are torn up along with what I mentioned in my first post. Dash crumbling apart, all the real panels gone, plastic trim gone, door panels beat-down, pass side missing armrest, headliner spray-painted with black paint along with the sides, etc. As mentioned, one of the POs did a number to this one.

I spent a few hours with the owner this afternoon as I wanted to get a clock from another square along with a few other pieces. He's already getting ready to move some other cars out of the way to get the square out. Too bad my truck is too big to get in there and drag it out from its' resting place. Maybe by my next week I can get the car out of where it sits.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Jan 64 Variant "S" Found? Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Had a great meeting with a VW guy who had a few squares. Got a few pieces that I was looking for but became intrigued by a ratty schwarz Variant "S" model with CA plates tucked in some bushes. I spent some time Looking it over and realized whom ever the PO was they did alot to this car and it's in pretty bad shape. The Front side must have hit something as the hood and apron are dented up. The support piece that held the VIN plate is no longer there. However, I did manage to find the VIN plate which reads to be a Jan 64 model. I could confirm this as there are some attributes such as a lone surviving piece of plastic door trim. The car has no engine and the seats are gone and some highbacks were used in the car. The fuel cluster and clock red needles are still there but the speedo has a white needle. The pan is shot as the rear is gone. It looks an owner at some point painted the headliner with rattle can black. One of the hinges to the hatch has been somehow ripped off. The body doesn't seem to be in too bad a condition aside from the front damage. Few dints and dents. Oh, forgot to mention the windshield is gone as well so the dash is smoked. I have an offer on it and hope to move it out of there in a couple of weeks at best. A few pics that I could take

any pictures of interior?
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Jan 64 Variant "S" Found? Reply with quote

[quote="pedro sainz"]
MonT3 wrote:

any pictures of interior?

Sorry Pedro, The interior wasn't much to look at. I'm heading back to the place in the next few days to see how things are going with moving cars around so I can get it out of there. I'll get a more pics and post them. As mentioned, thru the course of shuffling the car from owner to owner, it lost some of its' luster.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Jan 64 Variant "S" Found? Reply with quote

Yesterday after working on my trailer I went to my buddys to talk to him about masking accents on my trailer. I took my camera to take a few pics of the 64 (I believe) I got from him. Finally pulled from it's resting place. Along with it is my sons 63 (Tram, A-hem, A-hem, cough-cough, gauges?) which I have been collecting a few bits for. Anyway, the 64s VIN# is 0333229. Surprisingly enough, after swapping a tire that wouldn't hold air, it peacefully rolled to its new resting place. The body isn't in bad shape. The driver front fender is not original to the car and the door hinges are a bit stiff. Would be nice to know if this model is a true French spec car. Here are a few pics...

You can see an old Hot VW decal on the pop-out.

If anyone recognizes the car from out west possibly 20+ yrs or so ago, would be interested in knowing more on it.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Jan 64 Variant "S" Found? Reply with quote

That is way cool, gotta be a stock resto though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: