Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 1500 Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 190, 191, 192
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

Yes, there is a big difference in shape between the two. 311 405 129 A is a round O-ring with a round cross section.

The early one I am making basically has a V shaped cross section. It was only used until VIN 483592 an has been NLA for decades. The few NOS that do show up are being sold for their weight in gold Shocked

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

Well the old 15OO thread doesn't get used all that much these days. What with FB and lack of overall enthusiasm like the old days Wink Laughing But every once in awhile interest peaks and folks start going on about Type 3 Restoration correctness. Always nice to see restoration and preservation still moving forward for the unique little VWs.

A couple of neat to me, hopefully to you as well finds. About a week ago, I bought an old metal cabinet in El Cajon for a bench project I was wanting to do. Once I was onsite and chatting it up with Carlos, the fella with the cabinet, we discussed other items that may be for sale. Well he had a past interest in old VWs and pulled out some lit to look over. In it was an old owners manual for a 1964 notchback. It had the old manual and the two service booklets that got punched on the service intervals. A US Dealer and Service book was also in the bunch. First service trip was to the dealer in Germany where the car originated. After that was trips to Wolff Motors here in San Diego. Very interesting to see this history. Its fun to speculate if this notch was a Tourister purchase, private buy or even a service member. No way to tell with just the tickets punched. The original owners San Diego address is there and the home still stands. Very cool bread crumbs left behind for a car that most likely is long gone.

I then got to browsing the US Service site book. Id seen it before, looked over it before and thought nothing special in the past. Except this time, in this notchback service book speculating on its past, then looking up the Wolff Motors on the internet, then seeing all that cool info...

I noticed a dealer in Escondido where I live. Old Crest Motors. Laughing Then I look into that. Not as much info as Wolff, but I did see a license plate frame for sale Shocked $65 too. Done sold. Cool Now I have a cool old OG frame to go onto my 64 Ghia project.

Funny where these things pop up. But to find a owner packet vinyl book with a manual and service books to a Type 3 that had to be privately brought to the US is mind blowing. Now lets see how many of you run out to your car to check the vin Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The frame find...

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

That frame is super nice for $65! Score!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Something for you to restore during the rainy days this winter. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

I’m going to paint the under side of the notch and have no idea what VW did under there as it’s all covered in surface rust. It looks like the rear parcel tray and bulkhead were just epoxy primer, and that there was some light spraying I’d the wheel wells and the top of the air intake in the engine compartment. Anyone of you experts willing to tell me how it should look?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I’m going to paint the under side of the notch and have no idea what VW did under there as it’s all covered in surface rust. It looks like the rear parcel tray and bulkhead were just epoxy primer, and that there was some light spraying I’d the wheel wells and the top of the air intake in the engine compartment. Anyone of you experts willing to tell me how it should look?

Most had some sort of coating - either the rubber stuff or wax - all applied after VW let them go to the dealers. Unless you want extra protection from all the snow and salt we get in San Diego, Id leave it painted or just coat with wax. Wink Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Most had some sort of coating - either the rubber stuff or wax - all applied after VW let them go to the dealers. Unless you want extra protection from all the snow and salt we get in San Diego, Id leave it painted or just coat with wax. Wink Laughing

So the factory painted the inside of the wheel wells and the underside of the luggage tray?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

That's what I do in the "salt belt" (epoxy primer and auto paint). On these cars, they were dipped in primer, then painted from the factory. On T-34's they were spray primered, then over sprayed in paint (why they rust so easily ...a lack of real coverage).
Late cars were dipped in primer, then got a rock guard coating to prevent rust, then got painted (so it wouldn't be seen), then got a black tar like rust proofing (that chips off years later). Most people lightly scrape that last layer off (most of the time it flakes off in big chunks), and use a 3M rust proofing in a spray can to replace it. At least that's what I've seen. Myself I prefer to epoxy primer, paint and clear coat it, so I can watch for new rust to form. This seems to give the best protection in a humid area. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

That's what I do in the "salt belt" (epoxy primer and auto paint). On these cars, they were dipped in primer, then painted from the factory. On T-34's they were spray primered, then over sprayed in paint (why they rust so easily ...a lack of real coverage).
Late cars were dipped in primer, then got a rock guard coating to prevent rust, then got painted (so it wouldn't be seen), then got a black tar like rust proofing (that chips off years later). Most people lightly scrape that last layer off (most of the time it flakes off in big chunks), and use a 3M rust proofing in a spray can to replace it. At least that's what I've seen. Myself I prefer to epoxy primer, paint and clear coat it, so I can watch for new rust to form. This seems to give the best protection in a humid area. I hope this helps.

Thanks Bob.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

This is as irrelevant as the double holes under the Headlight ring on the early Type 3's, but i thought it was interesting.

Early Type 3 turn signal base with only a hole for the center , for a flat lens ONLY. It weighs 100 grs more than a later type 3 turn signal base with 3 holes for flat or high top rear lenses.

In comparison to later ones, it Does not have a 12v option,

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

I saw one that made me think something similar but it was just the remnants of a rubber plug.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
I saw one that made me think something similar but it was just the remnants of a rubber plug.

I think I was still waking up. Now I see what you mean. Brick wall

Yeah, makes sense considering they would have only had flat lenses in the beginning. Pretty cool little difference.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1500 Club Reply with quote

Weather has been getting nice. Spring showers still prevail.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 190, 191, 192
Jump to:
Page 192 of 192

Jump to: