Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever been in an accident in a Beetle?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Low65Sedan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]http://thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=214326[/img] this happened right after i polled out of the veedub shop to get seat belts, they didnt have them so i was on my to another one. I was goin east and he pulled out planning on going west i saw it coming so i swerved other wise he would have T- Boned me. It came so close to smashing my 1/4 panel which probably woulda totaled it, insurence wise. I go to his inusrence tomorow to have it looked. i got a qoute from a body shop for $837, and i have all the parts to fix it jus sitting around so im trying to get some money from this dude.
*67 bug(dumped)
*67 sqaureback(slammed)
*80 rabbit(hammered)
*86 Golf(LOW)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jumpmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...whatever you do, don't let his insurance company try to total it out for some insignificant amount of money. Once, this idiot slammed the living HELL out of my '68 Mustang...(hit and run...fortunately, the vehicle was parked and I was in the house). The cops found her two days later...

Her insurance tried to tell me it was only worth $800. I had to prove to them otherwise to get them to pay to fix the damage...she did $1500 worth to it. It took a few weeks to convince them to pay instead of totalling it out.

Good luck...
Mike J. Goode
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not mean to sound like a parent or whatever, I am only 31, buy I have been reading the posts here and I have to ask, what is with all you people not wearing seatbelts? A number of people here have been ejected, or have crushed the steering wheel with their chest, broken bones on the dash, etc. Almost all of that is avoidable by wearing a seatbelt. First thing I have always done-even when I was 16-was to install modern seatbelts in my air cooled cars. I have had the following accidents:
64 sunroof bug-t boned by a Chevy Caprice
71 Super-t boned by a 94 Camry, then slammed head on into a light pole.
73 Bus-head on with a Nissan Altima
65 Bug-rear ended by a Honda Accord. Later t boned by a Plymouth Acclaim.
64 Bug-rollover (rolled over two times)
T boned a 78 Chrysler New Yorker in my 66 Vert

In these accidents, my 64 sunroof and 71 Super were totalled. My bus recieved minor damage but totalled the Altima. My 65 recieved heavy damage but was repaired. My 64 had major damage but stood up pretty well. I drove it home. While some of these were at a high rate of speed (20-30mph is a high speed in an accident by the way) the passenger compartments were remarkably intact. The only time I did not have a belt on was in my 64 sunroof and I got banged up a bit. But every other accident, I had my belt on and walked away every time.
Mike J. Goode
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing, air bags are not meant to replace seatbelts. They are SRS-Supplemental Restraint Systems-meaning you still gotta wear your seat belts. It is no longer uncool to wear your seatbelt, and they are no longer right at your neck like those 80s GM cars. So PLEASE buckle up. Adding side door beams like new cars is also not a bad idea
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike J. Goode wrote:
buy I have been reading the posts here and I have to ask, what is with all you people not wearing seatbelts? A number of people here have been ejected, or have crushed the steering wheel with their chest, broken bones on the dash, etc. Almost all of that is avoidable by wearing a seatbelt. .

if a fairly serious accident in an ACVW type 1 the dash, steering wheel, etc all come at the driver seatbelt or not....that is *if* the seat tracks remain intact.....
Aussie Greg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I completed a defensive driving course for the Ambulance Service.
I was taught the following

1. Drive your vehicle within the capacity at which you can safely control it and drive accordingly to the roads conditions.

2. Keep brakes and tyres in top condition.

3. Wear a seatbelt and make sure your passengers belt up as well.

4. Drive pro-actively or in a defensive manner... In other words, be able to anticipate what another motorist is going to do before they do it. This obviously comes with experience.

5. Keep safe distances from other vehicles ahead
(a must if your early bug has 4 wheel drum brakes)

6. You roll up to a red light it and it has just changed green... Make sure before you move into the intersection that another idiot is not running the red light!

7. In rain, fog, smoke or poor light use your vehicles headlights... They're not just there for night time use.

8. Make sure you are seen before overtaking etc or moving into traffic flow.

9. Most of all have patience

If you use these tips you have a very good chance of avoiding an accident in the first place.

My email - [email protected]

1963 Beetle
1965 Beetle
1982 Type 25 Transporter/Vanagon
1985 Type 25 Caravelle/Vanagon
2001 Golf
joe13
Samba Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first bug, r.i.p was sitting at a red light at 2 am on a saterday night, only a few cars around, saw a car coming up from behind me, before i knew it, it was very close,(10 sec time period) and not slowing, i relized what was going to happen and got out of the car, i managed to get about 4 feet away and Smash!!!!!!,bug ended up about 60 feet away in someone front yard,caddy ended up in a parked , what i think was a ford suv that smashed inot 5 other cars in front of it drunk driver fell asleep ,police said he had to be doin 75, or more in a 77 caddy convertabe(front wheel drive boats), im very lucky, only axident so far, the trannys nose cone was where my e breke handel should of been, the main pully was bent inword all around and the, im sure u get the point, got my my 59 rag thow.
Paintedbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got my first beetle (64) at the end of the summer and have only driven it a handful of times due to the onset of winter here in massachusetts. The last time i drove it was back in november during a mild early winter snow storm. I was driving it to its winter resting spot at a friend house about an hour away. (I only have street parking here.) Well, no snow had accumulated on the roads yet, but I could tell it was slippery out and the car was still new to me so I was taking it slow.

Before I got onto the interstate I was stuck in traffic and had a black passat sitting right on my a$$ trying to pass me. Maybe he couldn't see the line of stopped traffic in front of my very low beetle, but if that was the case he shouldn't have been on the road in the first place... Regardless of that, I slowly made my way onto the on ramp and was accelerating onto the interstate when the passat whipped around me and cut me off. Not 2 seconds later he slammed on his brakes because (duh) there was a line of backed up traffic on the road. I slammed on my brakes only to find out that my new-to-me 64 utilized a single circuit master cylinder and that they dont like to be stomped on. I popped a line somewhere and did not stop so I pulled my e-brake and deftly maneuvered my beetle about 50 feet past the stopped passat, fishtailing down the shoulder.

My wife who had been watching the entire incident from the comfort of her subaru almost had a heart attack. Luckily my tires were brand new and I had stupid fast eye hand coordination from years of cello playing and an unjustified air hockey obsession. I didn't wreck but I came very close... If I hadn't been so far back from the guy in front of me I would have plowed into him going around 50 mph. Then again, If I had been a little closer the jack a$$ passat probably wouldn't have felt the need to cut me off in the first place...

Now since the bug is in winter storage (drove the rest of the way using only my e-brake) I have been stocking up on safety equipment. 3-point seat belts and a dual circuit MC conversion are on the top of my list.

Maybe I should think about a roll cage too... Confused

Be careful out there guys.

~"Paintedbus" Ken~
The Mobile Muralist
WWW.PAINTEDBUSART.COM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paintedbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... a bit of a grave digger post here. Embarassed

~"Paintedbus" Ken~
The Mobile Muralist
WWW.PAINTEDBUSART.COM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all you guys thinking about roll cages, here is something else to think about.

Roll cages are made of steel pipe. In a roll-over, your head is likely to contact that steel pipe with some force. It's a bit like being hit in the head with a baseball bat.

In fact, in a serious impact from any direction your head is moving around a lot and striking nearby objects.

Roll cages are meant for racing. In racing we wear helmets and serious restraint systems.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrecked my parents 1970 bug, while they were on vacation and I was waiting for the insurance to kick in on the 69 fastback I just bought.

It was a real interesting conversation. Hi Dad, I just bought a car. By the way I wrecked yours.
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrecked my parents 1970 bug, while they were on vacation and I was waiting for the insurance to kick in on the 69 fastback I just bought.

It was a real interesting conversation. Hi Dad, I just bought a car. By the way I wrecked yours.

geoff
kjbtsi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife hit the back of a mazda 3 this past summer in her 69 bug. He suddenly decided to turn, but instead of getting in the turn lane he just stopped in the fast lane next to it and started to turn. She hit him at about 20mph, scrapped her front bumper, but really jacked up the back of the mazda real bad, broke the drivers taillight and pushed the drivers quarter into the back door. There was a nice imprint of the bug bumper in his rear bumper.

I hav'nt been in any accidents in a bug, but totaled two eagle talon tsi awds. Neither where my fault. First one I was in a left hand turn lane and the truck behind me decided he didnt want to turn so tryed to get out of the lane but hit the side of car there and then turned back and continued into the back of me. I was pissed, me and my brother had just painted that car.

Second one I got tbonned by this 80 year old man who I guess didn't see me in the right lane, he pulled out, I saw him look at me all panicked but instead of stopping he just sped up. The speed limit was 55 so I was going that fast, I was the only person on the road and tried to go all the way to the left turn lane and he still hit me.

You can never be too safe.

1966 Bug Bahama Blue(my first car)
1958 Euro Bug
1962 Pearl White Bug
1970 Fastback Clementine
1966 Fastback VW Blue
1970 Fastback Diamond Blue
1967 Bug
1963 VW Variant
1963 Karmann Ghia Ruby Red
1969 VW Variant
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonslo wrote:
Mattimus wrote:
25 MPH side impact. Driver was thrown out passenger door (had his belt on before it ripped) Was in ICU for three weeks. He still can't walk straight to save his life. That is why I am getting a full NHRA legal cage in my daily driver 61.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Damn........25mph!!!!
Another 67 in VW Valhalla
Alby's Dubby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad (hence Alby's Dub) only had one crash with his VW in the 37 years he owned it - a guy on a bicycle rode in front of him. Dad hit him and I think it might of scratched the bumper or something.
The guy got knocked off his bike, hit the road (this is before we had compulsory helmet wearing for bicycle riders here in NZ) the miraculously jumped up, got on his bike and rode off. No apology to dad.

Confused Dad had a medical issue that meant he didn't have to wear a seatbelt, although he certainly could've and should've.
Whenever he travelled in my van I made him wear one Exclamation

I want to change the original diagonal belts for three pointers - even though I doubt I'll use the car everyday I still want to be safer Smile
Alby's Dubby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
For all you guys thinking about roll cages, here is something else to think about.

Roll cages are made of steel pipe. In a roll-over, your head is likely to contact that steel pipe with some force. It's a bit like being hit in the head with a baseball bat.

In fact, in a serious impact from any direction your head is moving around a lot and striking nearby objects.

Roll cages are meant for racing. In racing we wear helmets and serious restraint systems.

Smile Good point. Rollcages can be covered in closed cell foam of course - which is safer if pug ugly Confused

Max
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alby's Dubby wrote:
My dad (hence Alby's Dub) only had one crash with his VW in the 37 years he owned it - a guy on a bicycle rode in front of him. Dad hit him and I think it might of scratched the bumper or something.
The guy got knocked off his bike, hit the road (this is before we had compulsory helmet wearing for bicycle riders here in NZ) the miraculously jumped up, got on his bike and rode off. No apology to dad.

Sounds like the National Lampoon's European Vacation scene...
puttin slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rear ended an Expedition in highschool with my 66 bug going about 15-20mph. My front was lowered so I went under the rear bumper and the tow hitch almost poked through my gas tank. My ex girlfriend wasnt wearing her seatbelt and the battery poped up from under the backseat and knocked her seat off the track and smashed her face into the windshield. I ate the steering wheel and luckily didnt hit my teeth. My door wouldn't open and someone had to open it from outside. My nice new white seats were stained with my blood and the car was totaled. All I remember was it sounded like someone threw a big glass bowl on the ground.
Alby's Dubby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation I don’t want to be judgemental but….if you don’t have lap and diagonal belts in your cars (even if they weren’t an original fitting) and don’t wear them any time you drive it…you’re asking for big, bad trouble Crying or Very sad
puttin slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lap belts do no justice. all they did for me was fold me over and smash my face in the steering wheel. My passanger would have smashed her face into the steel dash if she would have had her lap belt on. I think she was the lucky one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: