Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Wheel bearing outer race too tight.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember havin to pay the piper on those bearings. Looks like they are stocking FEBI brand now..

Late model Outer (71-79):

FEBI Part Number: ATM 211501283D $43.20 /ea

Looks like they have KOYO or NAPA brand as for the inners. I did this about a year and a half ago and was able to get whatever my local NAPA had on hand, which at the time was either another FEBI or an SKF/FAG bearing. I would purchase the NAPA brand without hesitation.

KOYO ATM 211501287 $18.36/ea
NAPA Part Number: BRG 6207J $28.35/ea

Grease seal:

ELRING Part Number: ATM 211501317 $3.33/ea
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the driver side yesterday. The outer was toast. I ended up pulling the assembly off and using a press to do all the work. When I get to the pass side- it will go super fast.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: axle bearings Reply with quote

Nice job Jason

When I replaced the rear trailing arm bushings on my bus a while back
I thought for sure I would need to do bearings as well but, they just needed a good cleaning & repack.

One thing I over looked was the brake line grommets that fit in the bearing housing.
I searched and finally found them in Canada.
Here is the part# if yours are bad
211-611-743
chrisd1891
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
I did the driver side yesterday. The outer was toast. I ended up pulling the assembly off and using a press to do all the work. When I get to the pass side- it will go super fast.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Did you need use a press to just get the bearing into the housing, or did you use one to get the race into the outer bearing?

I'm picking up my new outer bearing tomorrow morning...hopefully that will fix the issue as SGKent described.

Admin at Aircooled Rescue. Register to help out your fellow VW folks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I bought a generic clamp puller from NAPA to push the spline out. That sucked ass! When I came to my sences, I realized that the press was my savior. I used it for everything. Pushing the spline out, pushing bearings out, pushing new ones in and finaly pushing the outer collar on - the one in which this thread was started for....on. But I had to go to Home Depot to get a pipe piece that would go around the spline be more than 4in long to push that prick on.

In the end I got it about 70% on. Ill need to hone the inside of the pipe out to get to 100% press a bilaty. But it didnt matter because when you put the hub back on it will press it on the rest of the way when you torque the big nut on the outside! Stopping on the spacer and inner bearing.

When I do the pass side, Ill lay out a step by step. Its hard to give nuggets of info to the average shade tree mechanic in us when Im privy to a wide range of cool shit in my cousins large ass covered garage that makes my wrenching life easier. But the press is a harbor freight deal that came in handy in this case.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the inner race should slide on, sometimes just finger tight. If it is too tight it may mean the outer bearing is oval in shape. That is what I ran into on the KMM bearings. Light taps is the most it should take to slide it in.
chrisd1891
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...got the FAG bearing and installed it. It definitely went in easier than the PEX one. Got everything back together and still hear that growling noise. Ugh...I'll do the other side now which will go a lot quicker....I'm just hoping this noise really is wheel bearings and not some stupid trivial thing. I have new CVs as well.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. It helped a lot.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisd1891 wrote:
Well...got the FAG bearing and installed it. It definitely went in easier than the PEX one. Got everything back together and still hear that growling noise. Ugh...I'll do the other side now which will go a lot quicker....I'm just hoping this noise really is wheel bearings and not some stupid trivial thing. I have new CVs as well.

If you hear a growl, you should be able to feel the growl, a very subtle "stripe"y rotational resistance/let-go/resistance/let-go.

I hope the other side is the culprit.
Colin
chrisd1891
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
chrisd1891 wrote:

If you hear a growl, you should be able to feel the growl, a very subtle "stripe"y rotational resistance/let-go/resistance/let-go.

Colin

I can't feel it...when I brake, there's no pulsing or anything, its very smooth. And as far as resistance goes, there doesn't seem to be much at all, the bus is very easy to push. The noise only happens at about 35mph and above. And turning the wheels by hand is smooth and silent, though I did notice a bit of axial play in the passenger side rear wheel...not sure if its beyond the spec though.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisd1891 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
chrisd1891 wrote:

Colin

I can't feel it...when I brake, there's no pulsing or anything, its very smooth. And as far as resistance goes, there doesn't seem to be much at all, the bus is very easy to push. The noise only happens at about 35mph and above. And turning the wheels by hand is smooth and silent, though I did notice a bit of axial play in the passenger side rear wheel...not sure if its beyond the spec though.

Try swapping a tire front to back just for kicks.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feel I speak of is rotating the axle flange with no brake hardware or CV installed. You are a bit past where I thought you were.
Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisd1891 wrote:

..did you ever get around in doing the other side, and if so, did the growling noise disappear..how much play do you have at the 12 and 6 o'clock position?..
chrisd1891
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, yea, sorry I didn't update.

Did the other side with a FAG outer bearing and a PEX inner, and the noise disappeared. Smile

As for play, I don't have any way to measure it, but there is supposed to be some, but not much. I honestly couldn't tell a difference in terms a play in new vs. old, but the old bearing definitely felt stiff and draggy when I took it out. When I put the new one in, that draggy-ness was gone completely. And the noise is definitely gone.

Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as bearings go...there are only two choices. And for that matter pretty much every part that goes into any vehicle. Having owned a 37 year old Japanese car and seeing the chump vendors that try to pawn off Chinese garbage for many years...the Germans and the Japanese take a HUGE amount of pride in their products. Aisin who is the OE manufacturer for many of the critical parts for my FJ40 still makes the parts in Japan. The Germans are the only other group of producers that still will not compromise quality. I am speaking of companies like Porsche. Even Mercedes has gone through numerous changes over the years. Daimler Chrysler almost sunk them. My point is the Japs have always had extreme quality controls in place. Perhaps I am mistaken. 30 years ago when I was a skate rat the only bearings to use were KOYO. There is a reason that Scott at German Supply has a mixed bag for his bearing kits. Years ago there was a shite load of boot leg SKF bearings that flooded the market. FAG has always stayed consistent. Mine were made in South Korea and I know they will be spot on. Homework goes a long way.
Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisd1891 wrote:
Oops, yea, sorry I didn't update.

Did the other side with a FAG outer bearing and a PEX inner, and the noise disappeared. Smile

As for play, I don't have any way to measure it, but there is supposed to be some, but not much. I honestly couldn't tell a difference in terms a play in new vs. old, but the old bearing definitely felt stiff and draggy when I took it out. When I put the new one in, that draggy-ness was gone completely. And the noise is definitely gone.
..keep a close watch on those bearings..if you haven't already reads this, heres why ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=557614&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
c'estlavw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: rear bearings, seeking info. Reply with quote

First time post-er! So glad something like this exists it has helped me countless times! This is the first time I haven't been able to find the information already in the forums and this seemed like the appropriate conversation to post it in...

I have a 74 bus (1.8 L) and I have removed my rear wheel bearings and just began the installation process. I got the FAG bearings (so glad I didn't have to find that out the hard way) and have the outer bearing tapped in. It is currently flush with the outside of the housing (i.e. what you can see from the outside of the car-the part that is closest to the castellated nut--sorry if this is redundant just trying to be specific)--and I'm reasonably sure this is where it goes.. I know I should have taken a picture before we took it all apart but unfortunately.. Anyways, I'm just looking for confirmation before I continue assembly that you want the outer bearing flush with the outside part of the housing.

Thanks in advance for any input.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is currently flush with the outside of the housing

the bearing outer part sits flush with the ledge cut for the seal. You have to leave room for the seal.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I miss the post that said freeze the bearings and heat the housing? This worked great in my install, the bearings slid right in with no press. Another way is a Park bottom bracket (a bike tool) press. My buddy used one on his bug.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Rear Wheel Bearings Reply with quote

68-79 inner rear wheel bearing.
Prt# 211 501 287
6207-J

ID 35mm
OD 72mm
WD 17mm

68-70 outer rear bearing.
Prt# 211 501 283
1208S

ID 40mm
OD 80mm
WD 18mm

71-79 outer rear wheel bearing.
Prt# 211 501 283D
GRW111

ID 35mm
OD 62mm
WD 19mm

kreemoweet wrote:
Lockring (circlip-C-lip) spec 2.5 mm.

Last edited by Tcash on Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Tcash! Better check yer notes, my '71 bus outer bearings are 62 mm OD, outer race is 16.7-18 mm wide (varies with brand), inner race is 18.95 mm wide.
The figures you posted might be for the old-style outer bearings (part #? I dunno, maybe 211-501-283B).

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: