Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Parts into CAD: Post it here
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Parts into CAD: Post it here Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:
You could make money selling new plastic squareback rear seatback grab handles!

Seat belt material works so much better for that Mike. It folds flat, and doesn't get brittle in the sun.

I like to use a section from a 1" tie-down strap. Same idea as yours, just a little narrower.

I used the seat belt material on my old 70 Square after I broke a new OE plastic handle that lasted 3 days. The seat belt is still in place a little over 20 years later. I did the same thing on my old 69 Square too. As far as I know, it's still holding up (sold it back to the guy I bought it from).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Parts into CAD: Post it here Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
For the Squareback seat handle, ISP west has them for sale, but they are NOS.

Not anymore. Crying or Very sad We had so many boxes...never thought they'd all go.

Hopefully we can make 'em soon. Cool

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
really-whale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Parts into CAD: Post it here Reply with quote

I love the idea of recreating important parts in CAD. There are some great reproduction parts available (thanks ISP West!) but sometimes it's fun to make your own also.

Bobnotch wrote:
BSQUARE wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:
You could make money selling new plastic squareback rear seatback grab handles!

Seat belt material works so much better for that Mike. It folds flat, and doesn't get brittle in the sun.

I like to use a section from a 1" tie-down strap. Same idea as yours, just a little narrower.

I used the seat belt material on my old 70 Square after I broke a new OE plastic handle that lasted 3 days. The seat belt is still in place a little over 20 years later. I did the same thing on my old 69 Square too. As far as I know, it's still holding up (sold it back to the guy I bought it from).

I had the same problem with my new OE handle.. Was thinking that as an alternative suppliers for amps or PA equipment could have a handle that suits but have yet to find one that's right. It might be cool to have a 3d printed piece to fit over a piece of folded webbing. Strength and a ~period correct look all in one?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Parts into CAD: Post it here Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
Clatter wrote:
Seriously,
I was just up in the attic looking for other stuff and found those three plastic heater duct pieces that go up under the dash.
These being from the beginning until 71 or so..

If you’re into doing this,
I’ll send you the set of three.

They are going to be pretty tricky with hollow and curves and all.

These are getting precious, so be for real..

You game?

Im totally game... if im who you are talking to .

Here you go, found 'em..

Know that even guys who have a bunch of stuff are running out of nice examples of these to sell
The sun just kills 'em..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Like's been said already, these look like a real challenge.
Not that I'm doubting, but how on earth do you do something like this?
Gets scanned for the outside dimensions, and then you specify wall thickness in the software?

Question

What’s That Noise?!?
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Parts into CAD: Post it here Reply with quote

It's just that upper part that gets killed by the sun, right? Why not make just the upper flange that could be bonded to the original part? We do this to metal parts all the time. Why not plastic?

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Parts into CAD: Post it here Reply with quote

I never/ever pull on my OG handle, so it's still in good shape.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Parts into CAD: Post it here Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
It's just that upper part that gets killed by the sun, right? Why not make just the upper flange that could be bonded to the original part? We do this to metal parts all the time. Why not plastic?

Max

That sounds like a good idea. I know the tops of mine are a little crispy thanks to the Texas sun. The rest of the parts are pretty much like new.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Parts into CAD: Post it here Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
VWporscheGT3 wrote:
Clatter wrote:
Seriously,
I was just up in the attic looking for other stuff and found those three plastic heater duct pieces that go up under the dash.
These being from the beginning until 71 or so..

If you’re into doing this,
I’ll send you the set of three.

They are going to be pretty tricky with hollow and curves and all.

These are getting precious, so be for real..

You game?

Im totally game... if im who you are talking to .

Here you go, found 'em..

Know that even guys who have a bunch of stuff are running out of nice examples of these to sell
The sun just kills 'em..

Like's been said already, these look like a real challenge.
Not that I'm doubting, but how on earth do you do something like this?
Gets scanned for the outside dimensions, and then you specify wall thickness in the software?

Question

we have 2 different 3d scanners , you can essentially use the one as a template to create a template to then build the model from (feels like cheating). or the other i would cap off both ends as smoothly as possible and then scan in with some reference points first and then do the full scan , then import it in to solidworks, essentially create a solid first then "shell" it and modify from there. I will likely try the latter first.

the problem from there is finding someone who would be will to invest in the injection molding tooling to then create the new pieces. that kind of tooling can be anywhere from 8-35K . 3d printing would work only (with my limited experience in 3d printing) if you create a inaccurate flanged version that would attach by sandwhich-ing it to the dash sheet metal with some screw bosses added.

I'd be doing this over my lunches so i wouldn't be an issue with work.

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Parts into CAD: Post it here Reply with quote

Here's another candidate. These plastic bits that go in the fresh-air boxes and live right under the cowl vents in the sun.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
really-whale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Parts into CAD: Post it here Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Here's another candidate. These plastic bits that go in the fresh-air boxes and live right under the cowl vents in the sun.

Max

Funny you mention it, I made some files of these for laser cutting. I'll see if I can find them.
really-whale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Parts into CAD: Post it here Reply with quote

These are the replacements I came up with - I did a couple of versions, one was an inner and outer ring (shown) that allows you to press some aluminium flyscreen between and glue in. And another is a one piece design with slots cut in. The slots are easier to deal with bit laser cutting takes a little longer so a cutting service would charge a little more..

Edit: I had a look and found these files - I have them in EPS and DXF formats, if anyone would like them I would be happy to send them your way.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Parts into CAD: Post it here Reply with quote

Steve , just received the parts , thanks , I'll get these scanned and get these scanned and returned as soon as I can. I will try to print up a first article of each to see if basic materials may work.

I'm also going to attempt the sunroof cable covers . Anyway I'll let you guys know how it goes

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Parts into CAD: Post it here Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
Steve , just received the parts , thanks , I'll get these scanned and get these scanned and returned as soon as I can. I will try to print up a first article of each to see if basic materials may work.

I'm also going to attempt the sunroof cable covers . Anyway I'll let you guys know how it goes

Nice.

You can keep that stuff..

What’s That Noise?!?
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Parts into CAD: Post it here Reply with quote

well mainly cause i was stuck on phones all day... was playin around in solid works with a cable guide... here is was we have so far.. the dash pieces i should have an oportunity to mess around with next week

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Parts into CAD: Post it here Reply with quote

I saw a few people mention using PLA as finished products. Most PLA's will become brittle and crack under sunlight. Just a tip.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Trekker182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Parts into CAD: Post it here Reply with quote

That is just brilliant now a couple of questions. 1. is the flap identical for both sides? 2. Can you give any details for the deflector plate that sits along side the flap and directs the hot air up to the windscreen?

Don
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Parts into CAD: Post it here Reply with quote

Trekker182 wrote:
That is just brilliant now a couple of questions. 1. is the flap identical for both sides? 2. Can you give any details for the deflector plate that sits along side the flap and directs the hot air up to the windscreen?

Don

Yes, the flap metal is the same. It's which side you put the control cable clip on that makes it right or left.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: