Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Product review: Deluxe dash console
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Product review: Deluxe dash console Reply with quote

I must have been a good boy last year, because one of the gifts under the yule tree was a deluxe dash console from Eurocampers.

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=4757900&showprevnext=1

When i opened the box, i was impressed by the relatively substantial quality of the hinges on the map table, and the overall finish of the plastic moulding. no flash or sprue anywhere, and SOME of the screw holes were marked. remember, as the description says, "no instructions or hardware." flipping the console over, i noted the hardwood reinforcement glued to the backside, giving the hinges some necessary support.

Installation was NOT plug and play, at least in my 86 syncro transporter. the console required some serious cutting to fit the dashboard's padded bullnose. after carefully tracing the dash profile onto an index card, i transferred the pattern to the dash console, masked off the section to be trimmed with masking tape, clamped a straight edge to the front side, and fired up my jigsaw. after trial fitting and trimming as needed, i cleaned up the cut edges, and then finished off the edges with black door edge guard.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used four #10 x 1.5" black auto trim screws to secure the windshield edge, and four #10 2" long screws to secure the bottom edge to the dash.

I was a little concerned about two possible issues- squeaks and rattles, and the shallow cupholders failing to hold a cup during spirited driving.

So far, i have been pleased that neither has been a problem. the map table does not flop around on it's own, the console doesn't squeak or rub against the dash, and the cupholders grip even my tallest travel mug. the map table has proven handy, and sturdy. you can rest your forearm on it while trying to figure out how lost you are with no fear of the hinges pulling free.

Overall i am pretty pleased with the end result. It's not a cheap item, and it may not be simple to install (and, like me, you may have some qualms about taking a saw to $75 worth of brand new plastic), but i like the added versatility my dashboard now has.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write-up. I have one of those still in the box that "someday" will go on my syncro. Your syncro looks to have the dash trim like a USA pre85 vanagon. I thought those consoles were made for those...? It must be more work to install one on a USA 85up vanagon Confused

It is nice to hear that they are sturdy enough. And it WILL cover up the holes drilled by the PO in my dash Very Happy
cris torlasco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buspor63 wrote:
It must be more work to install one on a USA 85up vanagon Confused

I am about to embark in such adventure (90 US Vanagon with fully padded dash). Any advice is welcomed.

First question is: do I work around the plastic tray piece, trying to adapt to the contours of the padded dash, or do I take out the padded section of the dash completely? Is the latter even possible? Help!

BTW, nice work bljones.

TIA,
Cris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Summers420us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you... but it is a future project of mine, so please post results and pics.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.
Nice finish with the door guard material.
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the one I have on my 86 Syncro to cover a bad padded dash. My fit was good enough, I just ground on the plastic till I had the contour right. Somewhere I have pictures, I'll see if I can post them soon.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have this. I like it. I installed the entire unit on hinges with latches so I can fit more electrical gizmos under it and access them easily. The beauty of it is that you can cut a very large hole in the original dash for whatever you need .... aftermarket A/C, bigger radio , fancy gauges, wiring etc and just use this to cover it.

I installed an earlier dash from an '84 along with it so I didn't need to modify it. In hindsight, I could have just gotten way with removing the pad on the original later dash. It may not be doable with the dash installed, but when its off it appears its just screwed on to the metal section.

I like the idea of adding a molding to the edge, i might just lift mine up and do that.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got to this, took the paded dash section out, only to find out that the late model dashes have an extra cut at both side vents, so the vents don't fit properly without the padded section...Hopefully this will save someone's time in the future.

Now I need to decide if I go back to the original configuration of my 90 Westy and forget the additional tray, or if I start hunting for a pre-85 dash, in black, which I assume is not difficult or expensive to find.

The whole purpose of adding this tray was to create a place to house the additional gauges. Now that I have placed them there I realize they are a bit too low and to the side, so in order for this location to work I would need to raise the try and orient the gauges at an angle, facing the driver's seat.

So back to scratch on this project...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-85 black dash = impossible.
Black dashes only back to 1987 & only brown before that...

Have you seen this thread? Gauges - Post Pics!

Good luck with your project.

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jebiga41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a similar german one on the Syncro which I find very handy it required no fettling but it's not a padded dash I also filled the plastic with expanding foam to give more rigidity and to cut down noise
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not impossible but certainly as rare as hen's teeth.

I have a pre-85 black dash in my 1980 ASI Riviera camper.
reason is it's a special ordered econo base model, complete with Rubber front floors. then converted to a camper by ASI.

for the rest of us, I've had great success with the vinyl paint to change a early brown dash pad black. the metal portion I use Hammertone paints.

dhaavers wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Product review: Deluxe dash console Reply with quote

Tell me about that glove box/tray unit under your dash
....I've never seen one of those ...I think I'd prefer it to giant awkward glove box I have now

[quote="bljones"]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Product review: Deluxe dash console Reply with quote

I have one of those for sale, in brown. If you are interested send me a PM.

Cris

goffoz wrote:
Tell me about that glove box/tray unit under your dash
....I've never seen one of those ...I think I'd prefer it to giant awkward glove box I have now

msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for those that have this installed.

Is there room to install gauges on the front face?
EwokPoacher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had them installed, here is a pic.

elsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that. It might be worth fiddling with that to get it onto my 89 Carat's dash. Thanks for the review.

Doug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EwokPoacher wrote:

This is exactly what I did, I found there is space for gauges, but visibility is not good, too low and to the side. Would be worth investigating if the holes can be mounted at an angle, facing the driver. My tray has a wood reinforcement inside that works nice with gauge placement, not sure if all of them have them as I got mine used from a junkyard.

In short, I really like this location, but the biggest problem is that they sit too low to be easily read from the driver's position. Thought about raising the gauge side of the tray, with some king of a spacer below, but not sure yet.

EwokPoacher, can you read the gauges easily in your set up?

Cris
EwokPoacher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could see the gauges really well. my mechanic installed his at an angle with slight modification of some gauge pods. i could not really tell the difference, as you still had to look in the same area. i had the turbo boost, oil pressure, oil temperature, and voltmeter gauges on the console.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

just paint it black. I used krylon fusion on mine in the above pics... you'd never know it wasn't stock.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cris torlasco wrote:
EwokPoacher wrote:

This is exactly what I did, I found there is space for gauges, but visibility is not good, too low and to the side. Would be worth investigating if the holes can be mounted at an angle, facing the driver. My tray has a wood reinforcement inside that works nice with gauge placement, not sure if all of them have them as I got mine used from a junkyard.

In short, I really like this location, but the biggest problem is that they sit too low to be easily read from the driver's position. Thought about raising the gauge side of the tray, with some king of a spacer below, but not sure yet.

EwokPoacher, can you read the gauges easily in your set up?

Cris

Autometer makes nice little gauge anglers.

http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-2234-Black-Angle/...mp;sr=1-24

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: