Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gromzilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Newbie here - I want to make sure this is the right tire for my 1970 Baywindow bus. Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Gromzilla on Mon May 22, 2023 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Gromzilla wrote:
Newbie here - I want to make sure this is the right tire for my 1970 bay window bus. Thanks

seems like such an easy question, huh.

opinions vary.

i’ll start things by saying: 1) those are on my ‘78; and 2) my tire guy says his hankook rep says they are not being discontinued.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

[quote="cdennisg"]
richparker wrote:
olafwagner wrote:

The question that I have is should I go for the 'default' 185's, or should I opt for the wider 195's?

Personally I like the larger 195. Ill it only is it a bit wider, but it’s also taller. I think it offers a better ride and I like how it fills out the wheel well a bit more.

I know, right?
And yet, they are perfectly adequate for size and load. And perhaps better if you have a small engine. If repowering, they it's a whole new ball game.
Type 2 started using the 14's in 1964 with the 7.00-14. the about 1970 went to the radial 185r-14. At that time I think, they were called (reinforced) til mid 1990'S, then the C was used.
I'd guess I've driven at least a half a million miles on type 2's and Vanagons using this exact size tire.
I've read Ron Salmon and bought his Hankooks. And liked them a lot. Michelin Agliis from Tire rack back in the day. ( very long wearing tire, I bet some of mine had 90k miles!)
More recently I've used thunderer Ranger. They seemed excellent on my 1971 Dormie that I sold, so no long term experience.
I'm always tempted to try the 195's, but so far, did not.
What IS important with these (small) tires is to get the inflation SPOT ON. If it was not handling right, It was because a rear tire was low. And the rears need to have more pressure than the fronts. Just do what the tag says: 44 rear, 34 front usually made my cars happy. And I drove them VERY fast sometimes. Any properly running 2.1 WBX 4 speed tin top will go 90-95mph. And did.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I run thunderer on my beetle. They are nice when new, but the particular model I’m using wear pretty fast.

I run 27x8.5 Grabbers on my ‘71 Westy now. Much better ride and better traction in all conditions than both the 185 and 195s.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I run 27x8.5 Grabbers on my ‘71 Westy now. Much better ride and better traction in all conditions than both the 185 and 195s.

RIDE?
I guess I'm on a different planet. My concerns with my type of driving are mainly road holding when driving at highway speeds; tire life/ longevity because I try to get 40-80k miles on a set of tires.
TRACTION? only a little. the type 2's always had excellent traction, Same tires on the Vanagons, not so good in snow and slush.
OFF ROAD, I'm almost never off road.
BUT some ARE
I'm certain Grabbers or even better Goodrich T/A's are great off road. A Type 2 with such tires will go ALMOST ANYWHERE a 4wd Jeep will go. This will certainly be important to some people.
TIRE NOISE? I'd guess you be HAPPY those grabbers are worn out in 30k miles so you won't have to listen to them
If I want RIDE, I'll buy an old Lincoln or Cadillac.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I have a couple of Maxxis MA-751 27x8.5R14s on my Transporter at present. I think they will give me at least 60,000 miles, they run nice and quiet while giving me good all around traction and handling. Sadly they don't seem to be being imported at present. Sad
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
richparker wrote:

RIDE?
I guess I'm on a different planet. My concerns with my type of driving are mainly road holding when driving at highway speeds; tire life/ longevity because I try to get 40-80k miles on a set of tires.
TRACTION? only a little. the type 2's always had excellent traction, Same tires on the Vanagons, not so good in snow and slush.
BUT some ARE
I'm certain Grabbers or even better Goodrich T/A's are great off road. A Type 2 with such tires will go ALMOST ANYWHERE a 4wd Jeep will go. This will certainly be important to some people.
TIRE NOISE? I'd guess you be HAPPY those grabbers are worn out in 30k miles so you won't have to listen to them

I’ve had both the grabber and the T/As, I think the grabbers are better. Both go just fine, but the grabbers stop better. The grabbers are not loud at all, I run them on two vehicles and they are quite. I rotate between 2 ACVWs and a truck. So 30k out of a set of tires is fine with me. Because the alpine sun here in Colorado will dry rot the tires in 2-3 years anyway. Here we rate tires for how many winters we’ve had them. Usually only get the max of 3 winters out of a tire. Even the 60,000 mile rated Toyos on my wife’s Rogue are already dry rotting after 2 winters. Well will have to replace them before next winter and she’ll only have about 35k on them.

And yes, I feel the ride quality is better. You may not think so, but I do.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Alan Brase wrote:
richparker wrote:

RIDE?
BUT some ARE

I’ve had both the grabber and the T/As, I think the grabbers are better. Both go just fine, but the grabbers stop better. The grabbers are not loud at all, I run them on two vehicles and they are quite. I rotate between 2 ACVWs and a truck. So 30k out of a set of tires is fine with me. Because the alpine sun here in Colorado will dry rot the tires in 2-3 years anyway. Here we rate tires for how many winters we’ve had them. Usually only get the max of 3 winters out of a tire. Even the 60,000 mile rated Toyos on my wife’s Rogue are already dry rotting after 2 winters. Well will have to replace them before next winter and she’ll only have about 35k on them.

And yes, I feel the ride quality is better. You may not think so, but I do.

I seems like you might some some solar-protection covers for your tyres, if you are only getting 2~3 years of use out of them!?! Shocked

My 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental's Michelin XZX 185 SR 14 Reinforced radial-ply tyres were still good after more than 15 years, with no visible signs of deterioration! Very Happy Cool

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Hi, all!
Just to add to this whole discussion.
I see a lot posts questioning using the 27" tires, because they are bigger than stock, on our buses.
I run the Grabbers on stock wheels. I don't have a tach. and I just wanted to know how the rpms feel at different speeds. Using the calculator from the CBP website.
Measuring my rolling circumference ( a couple times) I got 81". (rear wheels, 40 psi.) 81" divided by 3.1416 PI, I get 25.7"
From the Hankook website;
Vantra 185-14. 25.5"
195-14. 26.1"
General lists the 27x14 Grabber at 27". Well, they aren't.
My spare is a 195/75/14, which the book says 25.4". Holding the spare up to the Grabbers(on the bus) , the grabbers look to be @1/2" taller(hard to really measure). Eye ball measurment with yard stick of the width, shows the Grabbers being @ 1/4" wider.
Since the Hankooks seem to be the most popular tire here, what do they measure out to be? And what was the diameter that VW thought of as stock?
Please, lets measure our different brands, and sizes, of tires to see how they run size wise.
Also my 195 spare fits fine in the spare tire well. I have not tried the Grabbers, do they fit?
Thank you! Inquiring minds would like to know Very Happy
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Willin wrote:
Hi, all!
I see a lot posts questioning using the 27" tires, because they are bigger than stock, on our buses.
I run the Grabbers on stock wheels. I don't have a tach. and I just wanted to know how the rpms feel at different speeds. Using the calculator from the CBP website.
Measuring my rolling circumference ( a couple times) I got 81". (rear wheels, 40 psi.) 81" divided by 3.1416 PI, I get 25.7"
Vantra 185-14. 25.5"
195-14. 26.1"
My spare is a 195/75/14, which the book says 25.4". Holding the spare up to the Grabbers(on the bus) , the grabbers look to be @1/2" taller(hard to really measure). Eye ball measurment with yard stick of the width, shows the Grabbers being @ 1/4" wider.
Since the Hankooks seem to be the most popular tire here, what do they measure out to be? And what was the diameter that VW thought of as stock?
Please, lets measure our different brands, and sizes, of tires to see how they run size wise.
Also my 195 spare fits fine in the spare tire well. I have not tried the Grabbers, do they fit?

I've found that the actual tire diameter is about 1/2" less than the new tire posted specs. I have both the 185R14 Hankooks and a General Grabber 27x8.5x14 (spare tire) so I'll try to measure them this weekend and post again.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Willin wrote:
Hi, all!
Vantra 185-14. 25.5"
195-14. 26.1"

I've found that the actual tire diameter is about 1/2" less than the new tire posted specs. I have both the 185R14 Hankooks and a General Grabber 27x8.5x14 (spare tire) so I'll try to measure them this weekend and post again.

Might take a me a few days, but I will try to get the data from the Starfire SF510's in 27X8.5R14 on my single cab. Last I looked, these tires were not available, but would be good to have the reference data anyway.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Willin wrote:
Hi, all!
Vantra 185-14. 25.5"
195-14. 26.1"

Most 27x8.5R14s are less than 27" when new and will be around 26" by the time the tread is done for.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

My "nearly-new", >30 years old 185 R14 Michelin XZX Reinforced radial-ply tyre has an external circumference of 2•04 metres, which is consistent with theoretical predictions for a 185/80 R14 tyre.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Willin wrote:
Hi, all!
Vantra 185-14. 25.5"
195-14. 26.1"

My Hankooks 185R14 are 25"
Grabbers 27x8.5 x14 are 26.25"
Nokian 215/65/16 XL are 27"
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

That's good data, Shon.
I wonder why our Grabbers are different? Mine only have a couple thousand miles on them.
Info like this, I would hope, should help folks.
Are the Nokian's different than the advertised size?[/quote]
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Willin wrote:
That's good data, Shon.
I wonder why our Grabbers are different? Mine only have a couple thousand miles on them.
Info like this, I would hope, should help folks.
Are the Nokian's different than the advertised size?
[/quote]

The Nokians and Hankooks have been on the Bus so are considered "used" - at approximately about half of their tread life. When new you could add an additional 1/8" to 3/16" of tread to the current measurements. The Grabber is a used spare that looks to have just over half of tread for reference.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

My brand new Nokian WRC3. 205/65R16 are listed as 26.5 dia, they measure at 26.42

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
mcrum4421
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Looking for some 15s to go on my 1970 bus. Having no luck finding 165/80R15 in Nashville area. Any suggestions ?
Does the hankook come in 15” ?

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

165/80r15 is a beetle tire. You DO NOT WANT beetle tires on your heavy camper.

You r bus would have come with 14" wheels form the factory, so if you want to keep the 15" chromies, you might need to look at the split window bus tire info/thread since they used 15" wheels until 1963-ish.
mcrum4421
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Thank you for you’re input. I think it’s best I replace the 15s with the 14s I have in the attic.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 197 of 198

Jump to: