Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

heater core replacement
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptbarnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: heater core replacement Reply with quote

84 vanagon

So I had to drop off the vanagon to have a coolant leak fixed. I thought that it was the blower motor that needed replacing but the mechanic just called and said it is the heater core that needs replacing. I was hoping to do the job myself when the weather warmed up... but some plans have changed and I may need to take a trip before I'd be able to fix it myself.
Anyway the mechanic said that on the labor end it would probably take about 10 hours to repair. Does this seem right?
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which heater core? Rear core can be done in an hour. The front heater core, longer but no longer than a few hours. 10 hours is very high in my opinion.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ptbarnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the front heater core.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Use the Search Reply with quote

Use the search, on subjects such as 'Dash Removal.' It can be done, it's a major project, and you're wise when you start it to replace, also, your front heater blower and your wiper motor.

Big project, but, once it's done, it's done.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure that you can get a replacement front heater core before you take it apart. That part recently went NLA.
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some light reading.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Oodacmekim/HeaterMotor#
http://picasaweb.google.com/Madsen.Ken/HeaterBlowerReplacement#
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=265457
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to want to do both the fan and heater core while you are in there. Plus you may want to reseal the flappers in the heater box. This is a job best done yourself as paying someone to do it will drain your wallet. Pulling and reinstalling everything is a pain, probably takes 4-5 hours. Splitting the box and dealing with the seals can easily take that long as well.

One idea that would speed up the job, would be to find a second heater box, rebuilt it and then do a swap. Less down time that way. If you go that route beware that there are at least two different heater box configurations. The hookups for the side vents on the dash changed around '89.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are mechanically inclined this is a weekend DIY job. You'll pay the mechanic a fortune for hours spent on grunt work that you could do yourself. There is nothing special about this job other than that there is a lot of stuff to remove and reinstall, but no real special tools or tricks involved. I'd vote for trying it yourself. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, There's nothing special abit tearing the dash outa the Van--soe emeory work is required, or at least tagging a bunch of wires & cables.

Then it's yanking the heater box itself & rebuilding it.

Your looking at an easy 10 hour job--plus to do the job right.

If it's the first attempt--double that time.

The front heater cores are no longer available form anywhere---

I talked to Peter at the Van Cafe the other day and he sez that he's got some aftermarket cores coming--maybe in a month or two from Deutschland.

I'm trying to have some made, at an old school custom radiator shop.

If the shop that quoted you the 10 hours has a new front core, I'd fly on his lane---he's gotsomething that nobody else has---and 10 hours flat time is a bargain.

Be sure to get a new heater motor installed as long as the box is out and open.
Two birds with one stone.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, There's nothing special about tearing the dash outa the Van--some memory work is required, or at least tagging a bunch of wires & cables.

Then it's yanking the heater box itself & rebuilding it.

Your looking at an easy 10 hour job--plus to do the job right.

If it's the first attempt--double that time.

The front heater cores are no longer available form anywhere---

I talked to Peter at the Van Cafe the other day and he sez that he's got some aftermarket cores coming--maybe in a month or two from Deutschland.

I'm trying to have some made, at an old school custom radiator shop.

If the shop that quoted you the 10 hours has a new front core, I'd fly on his lane---he's gotsomething that nobody else has---and 10 hours flat time is a bargain.

Be sure to get a new heater motor installed as long as the box is out and open.
Two birds with one stone.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken at VanAgain is having new front, all metal heater cores made up.
They are NLA new form VW.
Give him a ring if you need one.

dylan
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff @ Vanagon Parts has a container coming from Europe with brand new heater cores.
Vendors will be resupplied within 2 months.

dylan
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You are going to want to do both the fan and heater core while you are in there. Plus you may want to reseal the flappers in the heater box. This is a job best done yourself as paying someone to do it will drain your wallet. Pulling and reinstalling everything is a pain, probably takes 4-5 hours. Splitting the box and dealing with the seals can easily take that long as well.

One idea that would speed up the job, would be to find a second heater box, rebuilt it and then do a swap. Less down time that way. If you go that route beware that there are at least two different heater box configurations. The hookups for the side vents on the dash changed around '89.

And from another angle.....

If the rear heater works, and if a leaky front core is the issue, it might be possible to shunt in a connector for the heater hoses to bypass the core to buy some time.

If it were me, I'd clamp off the long heater hoses at area above spare tire, disconnect hoses at heat control valve and VW shunt piece, drain core, shunt in the piece. I'm pretty sure one could even use the VW piece. This might be liveable until you have time to rebuild the box.

On the note of splitting the box

As a newb, I found that the *crap* used by the PO to seal the box (pretty sure this wasn't "factory") made it a PITA to pull apart. Couple this with time spent cleaning the stuff, and it adds up. (for a newb) Wrong or right, I resealed on the outside of the seam with silicone. I'm sure it will make splitting the box easier for the next guy/gal. In comparison, the '85 box I pulled apart last night (to send heater core measurements to Ken W) had no sealant and took mere "seconds" to pull apart.

Just my .02. Cheers, Neil.

My '81 box:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West, 50º ABA

Vanagon VAG GAS engine swap Google Group:
https://tinyurl.com/2f24rmh

VE7TBN
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: heater core FYI Reply with quote

I just finished installing all the dash components today so let me add my 2 cents. I replaced the heater/defroster fan. Like the previous posts it will/would be a lot faster a second time but remember that before you drop the steering column mark the location of the bolts. When I tried to re-install the plastic shroud around the steering column it wouldn't fit untill I adjusted the positioning of the steering column.
vwsyncroguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a great step-by-step guide to heater core removal and replacment.......excellent photos even have arrows to guide you.

http://benplace.com/dash.htm

Props to Ben for this excellent "how to" resource....lots of other great ones on his homepage.

http://benplace.com/vw2.htm

Warren C
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to Neil and Ben for the pics, Warren and others for pointers and links. Two of my rigs need to have this done and while I'm familiar with steering/instrument cluster removal, the rest will be a new experience. Nothing like pics to show what things look like and where they're located. Now let's hope some aftermarket heater cores can be rustled when the time comes .... likely this spring.

As it stands now, both rigs still emit adequate heat to get through this winter but the fans are squeeky at times.

Thanks again.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
Many thanks to Neil and Ben for the pics, Warren and others for pointers and links. Two of my rigs need to have this done and while I'm familiar with steering/instrument cluster removal, the rest will be a new experience. Nothing like pics to show what things look like and where they're located. ......

You're welcome.

An FYI....

I doubt it makes any difference, as the reason for showing my pic relates to sealant used on the box, but my pic shows a box half from an air cooled '81.

1988 West, 50º ABA

Vanagon VAG GAS engine swap Google Group:
https://tinyurl.com/2f24rmh

VE7TBN
SQUiGGLLii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is an easy job. it took me 4 hours to remove the whole entire AC unit. reinstalling the radiator seemed to be the hardest job to do but it still took less time in total than removing the rear heater core
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2017654&id=1266640162
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<the radiator seemed to be the hardest job to do but it still took less time in total than removing the rear heater core>>

There's something wrong with this picture--

You R&R'ed the radiator faster than the rear heater core?

The rear core is a 1/2 hour job, without working up a sweat--maybe--
SQUiGGLLii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it took so long because there where lots of finish screws and upholstery i had to take down then the unit itself had a dozen or so more inside..... plastic fused together. AC lines to pull electrical...
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2017654&id=1266640162
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: