Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Checklist of Dos and Don'ts for first road trip
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Airman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Checklist of Dos and Don'ts for first road trip Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've been lurking on here a little while and I'm already truly appreciative of the information I've found here (stereo options, brake light issue, loose wing mirror, etc.) I'm the new owner of an 84 Vanagon with 114K on the original engine. I love driving this vehicle and although most of my trips will be 3-4 hours out of the Bay Area, I've decided to drive it to a bike ride across Iowa called Ragbrai (that's a whole different story.) I really like/have faith in my mechanic, who replaced the fuel pump and a few other things when I bought it, simply because they hadn't been replaced and were the items most likely to strand me somewhere if they went.

There are 30-something pages of threads with the term "road trip" in them here. Without going through every one, is there a sort of checklist for things you'd recommend bringing/doing or not bringing/doing from a mechanical or other standpoint? It will wind up being about 3200 miles total.

Any input you have from personal experience or otherwise is totally appreciated!
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd throw that old fuel pump under the seat as a spare if I were you. Anything I replace that was still working goes back into the van as a spare.

If you're handy with a wrench, I'd put together a tool kit that would include a multimeter and test light. Find out which bolt heads you have on your CVs and pack the appropriate socket/sockets. Duct tape, baling wire, and some extra electrical wire can come in handy.

Get some sort of towing insurance if you don't already have it.
Airman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm keeping the fuel pump in there, along with a socket set. Definitely worth making sure the right sockets for CV, etc. Thanks.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Checklist of Dos and Don'ts for first road trip Reply with quote

Airman wrote:
Hello all,
There are 30-something pages of threads with the term "road trip" in them here.

Welcome Airman,

You should have lots of fun on RAGBRAI.

Searching on "roadtrip checklist" gives you just what you need, particularly the May 18, 2009 thread.

I'd recommend a healthy credit card and several multi-hour shakedown runs.

Do change the fuel lines and check the existence & tightness of all your CV bolts.
akyrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful on the CV's Make sure that you are using the correct allen for each bolt. I noticed after almost completely screwing myself by stripping a star shaped allen, thinking it was like all the rest 6 sided ones. shine a light into the bell house to visually check after you have cleaned them. my .2

A

82 AHU DK, 1950's Puch-black
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakedown runs are essential. Don't do any mechanical work the day before and then hope it is OK when you go on the trip. Make sure you have driven it enough to verify that any work done is truly fixed and is not causing a problem.

Enjoy the trip. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airman,

Welcome to Le Samba, and have a superb trip! A few suggestions . . .

1) This I found helpful:
Essential Tool List (3 pages)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=238180

2) Triple AAA turbo titanium card for maximum towing range, or some sort of good towing insurance.

3) Roadhaus.com access on your wireless device, or lacking that, a printout of good VW shops in states thru which you will travel.
http://www.roadhaus.com/shops.php

4) Take a solid long freeway drive of at least 1 hour. Listen for any odd noises, leaks, or other funkiness. If it passes this, odds are good it will make a longer trip too.

5) Bottle of emergency distilled adult beverage.

Buon Viaggio,
CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best travel advice I've ever seen is:

Take half the clothes and twice the money you think you'll need.

Lots of lists out there, I would at least have a spare water pump/alternator belt on board.
Airman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Thanks all! Reply with quote

Maybe it gives me false confidence that I've done most of these things already. We've done a few hour+ runs. No issues there. The towing insurance is a great idea. I'll call AAA and upgrade. Fuel lines were really recently replaced. The person I bought it from had two pages of mechanic receipts, so my mechanic and I were able to go through and come up with a work schedule, and there isn't a whole lot on it because so much had already been done. The rubber is all pretty much shot, so noise at highway speed is what it is.

So why does the ipod shuffle play better music when it's played through the vanagon? Wink
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I just returned from a 3000 mile trip in our Bluestar. The best trip I can remember. Even when I was waiting on the side of the road for AAA when the fuel pump failed, I was comfortably relaxing on the back seat. Laughing

These waterboxers have a beautiful exhaust note at 3500 RPM. I drove for hours with the iPod off to enjoy it. Enjoy your trip.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
blake28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Iowa City and RAGBRAI goes right by here. If you need something when you are in the area shoot me an email. [email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check list for local shop checklist road trip roadtrip
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3877932#3877932

If you simply search "road trip checklist"
that would return just 5 hits with a link to the above form that you can either do you self or hand to a vw shop
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airman here is a link to the Vanagon Rescue squad. I am on the list in my area and there are great people on here throughout the country. Good luck and have a safe fun trip.

http://www.vanagonauts.com/Vanagon-Rescue-Squad74.htm

"Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but there is always time to do it twice?"

"Back to the basics!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: