Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAA vs. Good Sam
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: AAA vs. Good Sam Reply with quote

Well...whats say you ?? Pros and Cons on the two choices. Im steering towards Good Sam, not just because of the membership price,but all the goodies they offer. Im open to hearing first hand experience from Samba members and yes AAA will tow 200 miles a couple times a year but Good Sams towing package seems reeeeeel nice. Very Happy
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: towing Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Love my AAA they give me 3 tows a year. But in two years only used it once. But that one time paid for it, in my eyes! They have a lot of good deals to! Very Happy PS they picked me up in 30 min. Cool! This problem in Calf. does put new light on this! Now if some one asks if I have a RV . No thats a seat not a bed and thats a counter top not a stove! Cool
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.

Last edited by joseph928 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a 'member' of both though I do not have the Good Sam Roadside Assistance.

For me, I prefer a 200-mile tow to whereever I say (AAA) vs a tow to "the nearest network service facility" (Good Sam) which may or may not suit me.

I do see that Good Sam provides coverage in Mexico, pretty sure AAA would not. That could be a big plus for Baja travellers.
westfailed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Coach-Net. mainly RV towing but will tow any vehicle if you are a member
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
I am a 'member' of both though I do not have the Good Sam Roadside Assistance.

For me, I prefer a 200-mile tow to whereever I say (AAA) vs a tow to "the nearest network service facility" (Good Sam) which may or may not suit me.

I do see that Good Sam provides coverage in Mexico, pretty sure AAA would not. That could be a big plus for Baja travellers.

I specifically asked about "network " thing and if I want to be towed to a Roadhaus recommended shop....I can be. That part of the plan is really open to interpertation....and in most cases the customer can be dropped off where they can be serviced the best. The lady I spoke with was familure with EuroVans and Westy's and is aware that not everyone in the network is hip to Vanagons so thats why they are flexible.
Im still doing my homework so Im open to learning B4 I choose Very Happy
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of the resident experts on towing >>>2010 thru August 2011. I now carry 2 Road Side Assistance and as all the old problems have been solved, hopefully no new ones. I joined my MasterCard Road side Assistance program for less than my CAA PLUS with more benefits. Right now CAA PLUS is giving me the rest of this year PREMIUM for a few bucks to try it out. I'm thinking of dropping down to CAA BASIC tho no decisions made yet.

What is Good Sam? Inquiring Cdns want to know Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am insured with Geico, and they have towing as part of the policy. Had to have my 35' motorhome towed 130 miles last fall. They took care of it with no issues. I also have Good Sam membership, but not the extra RoadsideAssist. Coachnet is also a fantastic service.

My experience with AAA is fraught with exceptions and limitations.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: NorCal AAA is a scam, they say a westy is an RV Reply with quote

I just got screwed by AAA Northern California on a 68 mile tow, the driver billed 190 dollars per hour, for the round trip. Total cost 412.10!!!

It turns out that in NorCal you cannot have RV coverage, at all. You can have AAA Premier, which covers the first $300

The Tow truck driver, and AAA confirmed, told me my Westy is an RV because it has a bed and a stove.

AAA does not cover RV's under their 100 mile Plus plan, nor under their 200 mile Premier plan.

Ignore the website which lists Premier Plus RV, that does not apply to NorCal, only to Utah.

I decided to renew my New Mexico AAA Premier Plus RV membership. I used a New Mexico address for the membership, but a California address for the Mailing address.

I tried to get AAA Nor Cal to refund the $112.10 the tow driver asked for. AAA said NO, because they dont cover RV's under the mileage plan. Like the Tow truck driver said.

I will be submitting my towing bill to AAA New Mexico, will let you know if they reimburse it..

btw, the reimbursement form online, is only for California. New Mexico has to mail it to me.

Moral of the story, IF you have a Westy, in NorCal, you are NOT covered for mileage towing as you might have thought. Go Ahead, call AAA and find out for yourself.

Very sleazy of AAA Nor Cal.

PS, AAA Southern California ALSO will screw you on a Westy tow.. they do not offer Premier Plus RV.

instead they offer this:
"$300 RV Towing Reimbursement — Get $300 covered towards the tow of your RV."

so for a 68 mile tow, the driver will bill his time, at 190 an hour, to drive the round trip, even though you are not being towed round trip..

Moral.. DO NOT BUY AAA in California for a Westy!

Also, I just called Good Sam and told them of my experience with AAA and asked what they would do for me if I wanted to be towed 68 miles to the mechanic of my choice.

They said they only tow to "nearest network facility", and if its 20 miles away and I want to go farther, I pay the driver for the balance. Good Sam Told Me They Have NO coverage for my needs, which is to tow my Van from my house, 68 miles, to my mechanic of choice.

good luck with Good Sam

the best way to get AAA Premier Plus RV, is to buy it in a market where it is offered, such as Utah, or New Mexico. They dont really care what mailing address you use, as long as you give a Utah or New Mexico residence address, which they do not verify.

I actually own a home in New Mexico, so I feel legit. They asked if I spend at least half my time there, I said not at the moment, I travel a lot. They covered me anyway. They do not ask for a driver license btw, mine is from California.

Last edited by Jon_slider on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
JN99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: NorCal AAA is a scam, they say a westy is an RV Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
I just got screwed by AAA Northern California on a 68 mile tow, the driver billed 190 dollars per hour, for the round trip. Total cost 412.10!!!

It turns out that in NorCal you cannot have RV coverage, at all. You can have AAA Premier, which covers the first $300

The Tow truck driver, and AAA confirmed, told me my Westy is an RV because it has a bed and a stove.

AAA does not cover RV's under their 100 mile Plus plan, nor under their 200 mile Premier plan.

Ignore the website which lists Premier Plus RV, that does not apply to NorCal, only to Utah.

I decided to renew my New Mexico AAA Premier Plus RV membership. I used a New Mexico address for the membership, but a California address for the Mailing address.

I tried to get AAA Nor Cal to refund the $112.10 the tow driver asked for. AAA said NO, because they dont cover RV's under the mileage plan. Like the Tow truck driver said.

I will be submitting my towing bill to AAA New Mexico, will let you know if they reimburse it..

btw, the reimbursement form online, is only for California. New Mexico has to mail it to me.

Moral of the story, IF you have a Westy, in NorCal, you are NOT covered for mileage towing as you might have thought. Go Ahead, call AAA and find out for yourself.

Very sleazy of AAA Nor Cal.

PS, AAA Southern California ALSO will screw you on a Westy tow.. they do not offer Premier Plus RV.

instead they offer this:
"$300 RV Towing Reimbursement — Get $300 covered towards the tow of your RV."

so for a 68 mile tow, the driver will bill his time, at 190 an hour, to drive the round trip, even though you are not being towed round trip..

Moral.. DO NOT BUY AAA in California for a Westy!

This is interesting because I just upgraded to AAA's Plus coverage and explained that it was for our Westy. The woman said she was not sure but thought we might need the RV coverage. She called their corporate offices the following business day and then called back to say no we didn't need RV coverage. Westies are covered under the standard policy "because they're not too heavy or too unbalanced" (apparently the chief issues with the RVs) and thus can be towed on a standard tow truck or flatbed.

This is in the PNW so I guess it could be different but you might simply need to try to get a hold of someone else who might help you. Though I wonder how someone from the PNW region would be covered if driving in CA??? It seems these vans are betwixt and between - RV or not RV? The WA DOT doesn't seem to know either - depends who you ask! Rolling Eyes
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had nothing but stellar service from AAA for the last 17 years. I'd recommend them. It can vary slightly by region as I understand, but a Westy is not an RV up here.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Westies are covered under the standard policy "because they're not too heavy or too unbalanced" (apparently the chief issues with the RVs) and thus can be towed on a standard tow truck or flatbed.

maybe thats true in Oregon, but not in California.

Tow companies and AAA rely on a section of California law that defines an RV as a vehicle with a bed.

As far as using Oregon AAA in California, you definitely can.

But a California tow driver will look at your AAA card, and if the words PLUS RV are not on the card, he will bill you by the hour, he will not honor the mileage tow of your plan. At least that is my experience.

the best option, to be towed in Cali, is to have PLUS RV from out of state.

Cali AAA is a total scam when it comes to westy towing in Cali.

I dont know if a Westy is an RV under Oregon Law..

The only downside to using out of state AAA in Cali, is you lose the 1 day free rental car benefit provided by an in state Cali AAA card.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I've had nothing but stellar service from AAA for the last 17 years. I'd recommend them. It can vary slightly by region as I understand, but a Westy is not an RV up here.

Same here in Maryland.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
JN99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
> Westies are covered under the standard policy "because they're not too heavy or too unbalanced" (apparently the chief issues with the RVs) and thus can be towed on a standard tow truck or flatbed.

maybe thats true in Oregon, but not in California.

Tow companies and AAA rely on a section of California law that defines an RV as a vehicle with a bed.

As far as using Oregon AAA in California, you definitely can.

But a California tow driver will look at your AAA card, and if the words PLUS RV are not on the card, he will bill you by the hour, he will not honor the mileage tow of your plan. At least that is my experience.

the best option, to be towed in Cali, is to have PLUS RV from out of state.

Cali AAA is a total scam when it comes to westy towing in Cali.

I dont know if a Westy is an RV under Oregon Law..

The only downside to using out of state AAA in Cali, is you lose the 1 day free rental car benefit provided by an in state Cali AAA card.

Well I lived in SoCal for 8 years and always said it was like another country and this is further evidence supporting that sentiment. 49 United States... and CA. Laughing
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Same here in Maryland.

cool, but a westy would not be covered in California

the original poster of this thread is in California
rlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have AAA, and they worked well for me. Now I have full collision ($500 deductible) and roadside assistance from progressive for $60 per SIX MONTHS! They'll tow me to the nearest shop, even if that happens to be 40 miles away, which can happen here in MT.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

Bed, what bed?

Looks like the van has seats to me.

Jon_slider wrote:

Has NOT been my experience and I have towed several Vanagons. Usually I try to get the same company to do it, but out on the road it was not an issue either. I just ask for a flatbed and it is done.

Maybe they are turning the screws some where?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Bercilak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the California DMV's Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook, showing types of RVs on page 13. Van campers and conversions are specified as a type.

Not sure why AAA wouldn't cover it though; they've towed my Westy several times with no complaints. Better check, I guess, and see if the issue is that I haven't had a LONG tow.

Thanks for the tip, Jon. Good to know before I go!

B.
seabright_sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trip Interruption reimbursement (in case of mechanical breakdown, not just accidents) brought be back to AAA+ from good sam's. Hope I never have to use it though.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an ugly situation in one of my last tows in N.Y. State. I carry CAA PLUS (for years) and they emphasize that it is valid in the States. In Ontario if you have used up your free tows then they give you a preferred rate for a tow. So I assumed that same in States. NOPE

I got dinged with a $300.00 for 6 miles tow. Long story over a few days and I finally got the tow driver/owner of shop he towed me to and he wouldn't look at it! to drop the price to $100.00 but I had to pay for the 2nd tow but I negotiated FIRMLY. Think he only reduced the price because I was so upset and called him a vile robber taking advantage of me. Don't really care why he dropped the price, he needed to.

I'm quite disillusioned with CAA due to being in the dark about your coverage in the States if from Canada. I now carry a MC Roadside Assistance. May decide not to renew CAA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Holy smokes now Im really confused Crying or Very sad Good SAM told me one thing and a few other posters another thing. Ive got some homework to do B4 I decide. Thankx for the feedback folks...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: