Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel gauge reading half full when full
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steveyg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: fuel gauge reading half full when full Reply with quote

Relatively new owner to a 74 Bay Window. When full, the tank reads half full and measures empty when half.

Ive read a few threads stating the opposite issue, so not sure if the same trouble shooting applies. Check wire from fuel sending unit to gauge, replace sending unit, replace gauge?

Is there a way to calibrate the gas gauge and ideally leave it in the dash to do so?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel gauge reading half full when full Reply with quote

Go to Jbugs.com and buy the sending unit with the wire arm so you can put a gallon and a half of gas in the tank and bend the arm to read on the E then you will have a reserve. The tower sending units are not adjustable and from China so quality control is a foreign word to them.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel gauge reading half full when full Reply with quote

A 74 should already have the arm style sender, but is it OG or aftermarket, time for some testing:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=701705
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=735100
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=381486

BTW, the arm sender does not fit 68-73.5, totally different system.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: fuel gauge reading half full when full Reply with quote

My late '73 (so same style sender as yours) does the same thing. I've mostly decided I dont' care that much about it, I guess. Filling the tank reads 3/4 on the cluster, and the needle is way left of the empty line before I'm out.

I've decided I mostly don't care, at least by my inaction. I suspect there is a ground wire that is kind of dirty but don't really know for sure.

At least this way, I haven't run out of gas!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: fuel gauge reading half full when full Reply with quote

If you really care about it being reasonably accurate look up some of the posts on how to cut a sender access hole. That way you can remove the sender and bend/adjust the arms and stops to make it more accurate. (It is possible without the hole, but the whole tank needs to come out.)

It took a few rounds with mine but I got it reasonably close. It's not difficult.
Steveyg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel gauge reading half full when full Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
If you really care about it being reasonably accurate look up some of the posts on how to cut a sender access hole. That way you can remove the sender and bend/adjust the arms and stops to make it more accurate. (It is possible without the hole, but the whole tank needs to come out.)

It took a few rounds with mine but I got it reasonably close. It's not difficult.

The access door seems straightforward. What is the collective thinking on if cutting the door lowers the value of the car? This is no show car by any means, but I've always tried to never cut holes in cars I've owned.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: fuel gauge reading half full when full Reply with quote

Steveyg wrote:
The access door seems straightforward. What is the collective thinking on if cutting the door lowers the value of the car? This is no show car by any means, but I've always tried to never cut holes in cars I've owned.

Since the access hole is hidden by the cushion (if you have a camper), then it has slightly increased value in my opinion. Without it, access to the sending unit is a half day process for me.

Just do a neat job of cutting the hole and covering it when you're finished.

When I cut mine using an angle grinder, I opened up the round access hole next to the ECU and use a high velocity fan to blow air around the gas tank.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: fuel gauge reading half full when full Reply with quote

I used a 4" hole saw to cut it, and a 4" stovepipe plug with some silicone to close it off.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: fuel gauge reading half full when full Reply with quote

also lengthy discussion here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693930

keep in mind that the unit has to warm up before it stabilizes.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: fuel gauge reading half full when full Reply with quote

We cut the hole in summer, and glad we did. We had to tweak the arm of the sender multiple times to get it "just right". We cut a 4.5" hole.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: fuel gauge reading half full when full Reply with quote

I would say that having access to the sending unit without having to remove the motor would add more value than lost due to cutting into the floor. I have the same proble, reading 3/4 when full. I have a Jan 1973 with a tube sender. I’ve had two gauges and 3 senders just to get it reading the way it is. It’s frustrating.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: fuel gauge reading half full when full Reply with quote

You can lay the firewall on the engine and slide the fuel sender over the tank and through the pie hole. It's really not that bad. I did it twice because of a garbage Chinese sender and O-ring. Took less than an hour the second time. Cool

I was too lazy to cut a hole and fab up a cover.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: