Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

Forgot we did this one last summer....356 motor in a 67 deluxe. Had to make transitions to go from rectangle port (scratch built adapters) to the muffler
Space was very tight and had to slice and dice the mandrel bends a lot to fit!

And to the guys who think the 500 muffler (or however much it costs?) is a lot be glad you're not footing the bill for the mods Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

Got it all bolted together! Easy install and everything seems to mate nice and tight! No issues with clearance and I can actually get to #1 and #2 without removing my muffler.. Thanks all for the input and advice on this thread! Thanks Sled Cool !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

It would be super helpful if folks listed the models they bought. I burned my rear apron paint with an empi muffler, and am looking at a couple of the vintagespeed models.

I like this one, because of where it exists. Will it work on with lowered buses, and not hit the rear valance?
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=155-206-05200

This model is for lowered buses, but looks like it is too close to the valance:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=155-207-05200

This one has similar placement of the tail pipe as my empi. Does it clear the valance/apron?
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=155-206-05300

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image

Last edited by KevinAlbrecht on Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

I have the first one posted. no it does not hit the apron. Depends on how low your bus is? If youre not slammed it will work, may occationally scrape if you take abrupt inclines too fast.

the second one is very well known to hit the apron, many people have to bend their apron out.
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

sled wrote:
I have the first one posted. no it does not hit the apron. Depends on how low your bus is? If youre not slammed it will work, may occationally scrape if you take abrupt inclines too fast.

the second one is very well known to hit the apron, many people have to bend their apron out.

Thanks Sled,

Do you have any pictures with it all put together with your rear bumper on? Mine is not too low. Did you get your JPipes flanged, or buy some?

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Geirskogul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

I just bought a set of the stainless type 4 CJ headers, and they were made about 3 inches too short. Now I'm having to deal with somehow getting correct ones.

3304HL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

Getting close to putting our bus back on the road but one of the main issues left at the moment is the choice of exhaust.
Our freshly rebuilt engine is a pretty mild dual port 1776 with the factory Solex. My intent is to use the bus as a daily driver, so I was hoping to keep the original heater boxes (which are in good shape) given Vancouver can get a bit brisk at times.
Has anyone run the Vintage Speed muffler with the original heater boxes and if so how did you deal with the difference in gas flow due to the different tube diameter between the stock boxes on the front 2 cyl. and the Vintage Speed pipes on the rear 2 - thanks
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

Stock heater boxes my 63 double cab, 1776 - just bolted the VS exhaust on and went.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

Mine will be here on Monday and will install with stock heater boxes. I’ll post it in my build thread. So keep an eye out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

Installed one on my '64 a few weeks ago. I ordered from Monkeynut in Charlotte (awesome shop!). I did have to bend the apron out slightly to clearance this muffler, as I had hard contact. It appears that others did not have this issue. I'm special, I guess.

To personally summarize, this is the best sounding muffler on a 1776. It has a nice meaty sound without getting boomy.

https://monkeynutvw.3dcartstores.com/Bus-Sport-Muffler-1960-1967-Standard-Tail-Pipe_p_169.html
Gil-bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a 65 bus. Everything stock except 1776 with single 37pict3 carb.
It runs pretty well with stock exhaust.

Will a vintage speed muffler give more torque/power to the bus in comparision to stock exhhaust?

Thanks
Gilles 😎
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

A friend of mine first ran the Vintage Speed exhaust on a stock dual port 1600 and it had a very unpleasant noisy sound to it.

Now he is running the same exhaust on a single port 2 liter Limbach with a 37 pict -3. This set up has a very pleasant sound to it. Not noisy at all.

In both cases he was using stock heater boxes.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
Gil-bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

Thanks Michael,

I would like to know if a vintage speed exhaust brings more noticeable power to the engine than with stock exhaust.

Thanks
Gilles
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

i am very happy with the 36hp single pipe one, the improvement has been huge

Last edited by perello on Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

Your link doesn't work
Please post the photo here on this site
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

I installed mine about a year ago. I bought the unit for lowered busses.

At stock height you can hardly see it. Look just below the aux red running light on the bumper.

I have solid rocker arm shafts that are shimmed tight and are super quiet.
People come beside and ask, "that isn't stock is it?'. Not exactly but pretty close.

All and all I really like the system. It sounds more like a Porsche 912 than a VW.
Cheers
dgsaz
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of putting a VS speed exhaust on my '56- early style with tip on drivers side. Any issues with rubbing?

https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/1960~1967-BUS-SP...p132804020

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.

Last edited by crofty on Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

FWIW I've been running one on my 58 and I'm mostly happy with it

the only thing I'm unhappy about is how visible it is

this would be solved with the lowered muffler, if I were to do it again I'd go that route
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

Has anyone used a heat shield or a heat wrap before? My rear apron is literally riding on the exhaust and I don't want to burn off the original paint, so I'm trying to figure out a way to protect it.

This is the model I have installed:
https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/1960~1967-BUS-SP...p158840381

I ordered a Thermo-Tec heat shield but haven't received it yet and am wanting some firsthand feedback before I move forward with either option.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Exhaust Recent? Reply with quote

I am considering VS for my '56. I contacted them, and they said they can customize an exhaust for an extra fee starting at $200.

Maybe if enough 55-60 owners did a group buy, the customization fee could be divided amongst the group?
2017 Jetta TSI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: