Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Phantom AAZ Oil Leak!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Phantom AAZ Oil Leak! Reply with quote

Ok, so I bought and installed a NEW AAZ motor (0KM).
I have had the motor in for 500km so far, and I am just having issues.
First, I had a bearing failure on the intermediate shaft.
Then, enroute to the shop to swap out the Turbo Oil Line, it BROKE! (solved that one!).
Turns out, this is NOT my phantom oil leak. I've come to the point where I have a new oil filter bracket and a filter relocation kit, just so I can know that the o.f.b. isn't the issue!
I have wiped things down with a clean white rag, then went for a drive. When I park, I get oil drips (class 3!) while the motor is running. I have looked between the motor and skid-plate as best I could, but still don't see any drops.
I have power washed the engine too. After a drive, there is oil on the o.f.b. bolts, and on the block under it. I jammed a white rag under the o.f.b., and drove around.
NO OIL ON IT!
I'm seriously at my wits end. Any help (ideas) would be greatly appreciated!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Phantom AAZ Oil Leak! Reply with quote

You might consider that your engine is building up internal pressure and blowing oil out the seals and gaskets. I have this problem especially noticeable after a long drive where the engine is pulling up long hills under full boost. Check the condition of your crancase ventilation, especially if parts are leftover from your old engine.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Phantom AAZ Oil Leak! Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
You might consider that your engine is building up internal pressure and blowing oil out the seals and gaskets. I have this problem especially noticeable after a long drive where the engine is pulling up long hills under full boost. Check the condition of your crancase ventilation, especially if parts are leftover from your old engine.

Along these lines, I've got a TDI installed in my '78. I pulled the turbo last night, because i suspected that it was leaking oil past the internal seals into the intake tract. I know some is normal/ok but this was lots, and was blowing past intercooler pipe connections and making a giant mess.

The turbo shaft is super loose and wobbly, with play axially and radially. So I'm 100% sure that the seals were shot and that was the source of the oil.

So without knowing the routing of your setup, consider this as a possibility.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Phantom AAZ Oil Leak! Reply with quote

There is a pressurized oil passage between the block and the head right above the filter mounting area. Perhaps this is where the oil comes from? There is a rubber seal built into the headgasket around this hole and the seal is supposed to keep the oil in.

Mark
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Phantom AAZ Oil Leak! Reply with quote

Ok, so I have been out and about today parts shopping.
I have oil down the 'top' side of the oil pan.
With the white rag, I mopped up under the filter housing.
I dumped some kitty litter on the motor (got it down into the little pockets where the oil collects). I also filled the skidplate with the stuff.
This is collecting the oil for now (Germans get tetchy when they see oil on the ground, or a vehicle idling....).
Tomorrow I will be going out to the shop again to do the new oil filter housing, with the filter relocater from Rock Auto, and do an oil change while I'm at it.
I have all new bolts, washers, gaskets and hoses.
Had I the relocator last weekend, this wouldn't be an issue now.....
Thank you for your opinions, I let you know tomorrow if it worked....

Last edited by Team WorldTour on Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Phantom AAZ Oil Leak! Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
(Germans get techy when they see oil on the ground, or a vehicle idling....)

Uhhh… I think you mean tetchy, meaning touchy, sensitive or peevish.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Phantom AAZ Oil Leak! Reply with quote

Yeah, tetchy. That's the word.
Freakin' Lister, and his poor spelling....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: