Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 15 Window resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
We plan to get rid of the antique tags

What is the disadvantage of antique tags in Maine? Here it is super cheep to license and no inspection.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

What is the disadvantage of antique tags in Maine? Here it is super cheep to license and no inspection.

The main disadvantage is limited driving. My son goes to school right next to the police station. He has already been stopped for driving around with antique tags. Even though it’s not his primary vehicle, he is supposed to limit his driving to events, and test drives. I say every time I drive it I’m on a test drive. It’s not any more expensive to get regular tags. Then we can drive any time. The bus will pass a state inspection once the doors are repaired. No sweat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
sgellis wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

The main disadvantage is limited driving. My son goes to school right next to the police station. He has already been stopped for driving around with antique tags. Even though it’s not his primary vehicle, he is supposed to limit his driving to events, and test drives. I say every time I drive it I’m on a test drive. It’s not any more expensive to get regular tags. Then we can drive any time. The bus will pass a state inspection once the doors are repaired. No sweat!

Sort of the same restrictions here but definition is so vague that it is not enforced. And running regular plates would cost me a lot more.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:

Sort of the same restrictions here but definition is so vague that it is not enforced. And running regular plates would cost me a lot more.

Same in Mass. I make a LOT of test drives, something is always broken, right?

Bus is looking awesome. Can't wait to see it again in person!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Such a great thread to follow- thanks for the updates. What tools are you using to make the door bottoms? I'm always keen to learn! Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
sgellis wrote:

Same in Mass. I make a LOT of test drives, something is always broken, right?

Bus is looking awesome. Can't wait to see it again in person!

I always have spare parts and tools with me. Usually spread out on the cargo floor, so its easy for me to say it's a test drive. Not so much for my son.
I am looking forward to seeing your project bus now that it's so far along. Hopefully sooner than later.
Thanks Eddie!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

bally wrote:
Such a great thread to follow- thanks for the updates. What tools are you using to make the door bottoms? I'm always keen to learn! Cheers. Dave

Here is what I used for hand tools:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the shrinker to bend the curve at the bottoms:

And since my bends were looking questionable, and taking forever to hammer out, i bought this beast a few weeks ago:

Marked and notched:

Bent on the marked line to 90 degrees:

Same on the ends:

Nice square corner:

The bend was not as sharp as the OG bend on the door, so I sharpened them up by hammering the edge onto a block of 4" steel. If you look close, you can see one is sharper than the other:

Then I used the shrinker to give the bottom edge a slight curve. I did this on both sides of the piece:

So far it fits up. I still need to adjust it a little before tacking it in. I will fit the inner pieces in once I am happy with the skins:

Thanks Bally!
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Great 'How to' thanks. I love the beast too! No doubt the beast will be used a lot!

Cheers. Dave

Last edited by bally on Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kafer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Wow bus looks great, gives me hope for mine. Also i would move the fuel filter out of the engine bay. Under the tank is where it needs to be.
"The hardest part about business, is minding your own"
GERMANAIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

You’ve come along way with this Bus, keep up the great work! Nice Save Cool
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

The bus is going strong! We haven’t finished the cargo doors yet or anything else for that matter. We drive it when we can and are enjoying it immensely. Camping with some friends this weekend:

Winter’s coming. Plenty of time to get back to work on it then!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

It has been a long time since i looked at this thread. My last repair was replacing the cargo door bottoms before I went on the road trip that ended in Canada. The door bottoms are still just tacked on with no inner structure:

We have put a ton of miles on the bus, and had a lot of great adventures. It has been an amazing journey so far. We put curtains and curtain rods in the bus last year to make it easier to set up when we camp. Up until then we had been hanging up sheets with clothes pins. Other than that we have been doing routine maintenance and driving it. I pulled it in to the shop last week to change the oil and adjust the valves. When I opened up the engine lid I noticed the hinge mounts on the decklid were a little soft. I decided to fix them. I never planned to do anything to this decklid. It is SWR but it came from another bus and I wanted to use the OG one. I haven't started that project yet:

Anyway, I removed the decklid, and started repairing the hinges:

Both hinge mounts were bad so I fixed them both. Then I decided to strip the whole thing down and clean up all of the parts. I never put a hinge prop on, so I dug one out:

The decklid is SWR, but it had a few repaints on it, so I stripped off the newer paint jobs:

The hinge carrier had the same situation as the decklid. SWR repainted from a donor. I had to clean it up too:

Since it was from an Earlier bus, it did not have the holes for the Volkswagen emblem, so I marked and drilled it. It is strange not having to use a bungee cord to keep the decklid open:

Now I will have to clean up the rest of the bus:

I still haven't got to the tune up.
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

More great work as always!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

AlanInMass54 wrote:
More great work as always!

Thanks Alan!
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer, you are such an inspiration to us all. I appreciate all your wonderful lessons documented he for those of us who are still students in the class of bus repair. Linda

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Burlyhammer, you are such an inspiration to us all. I appreciate all your wonderful lessons documented he for those of us who are still students in the class of bus repair. Linda

Much appreciated Linda, but I too am a student trying to learn.
The bus is the teacher. Wink
Huetti_1989
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

This bus is truly a inspiration!

I love that used look from used that cars!

-Christian
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757182
My 1954 Deutsche Bundespost Barndoor:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621802
My 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westfalia:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716285
My 1991 Westfalia California:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650751
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Huetti_1989 wrote:
This bus is truly a inspiration!

I love that used look from used that cars!

-Christian

Haha. It’s definitely used. I started cleaning up the rest of the bus to match the deck lid. I should have just changed the oil.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I always like seeing this thread pop back up!

I've never owned a bus with the script above the decklid. What provision is there to put the speed nut clip things on there?
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
I always like seeing this thread pop back up!

I've never owned a bus with the script above the decklid. What provision is there to put the speed nut clip things on there?

There are 4 holes in the inner panel that line up with the pins. You can use needle nose pliers to put the rubbers and clips on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Page 84 of 86

Jump to: