Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

11cent odometer fix
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: 11cent odometer fix Reply with quote

My odometer didn't work when I got the van. I took it apart and like most others, that odo gear slid out passed the worm gear that turns it. I went to a local Ace Hardware and they have all sorts of little odds and ends there. Each Ace is independently owned, so maybe yours won't carry these "push washers" or retention washers.

I pushed the little axel out from the number wheels with a straightened piece of wire to keep everything in place. I slid on the washer and it grabs very firmly to the axle. My only regret is not having it on the opposite way to give me more room for the gear to slide fully onto the other side... the axel is 3/4 into the gear. I might have to do this all over again. We'll see how long I get by, but it's almost perfect.

I think this could work for both model speedometers?

I'd put it in and test but I need to replace a leaky 3 prong brake sensor from the master cylinder, and put a new o2 coax wire in still.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by JDub113 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: .11c odometer fix Reply with quote

Good fix. Smile

Did you mean $0.11, or 0.11 cents ($0.0011)?

I am reminded of Verizon thinking that quoting 0.002c/kB was the same as the $0.002/kB they actually charged for data usage - and having to admit they were wrong. Wink

https://consumerist.com/2006/12/10/transcript-verizon-doesnt-know-how-to-count/ (among other sources)
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: .11c odometer fix Reply with quote

fxr wrote:

Or 11/100ths of one degree Centigrade?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: .11c odometer fix Reply with quote

campism wrote:
fxr wrote:

Or 11/100ths of one degree Centigrade?

Makes cents to me.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 11cent odometer fix Reply with quote

Haha maybe that's better for ya. Can't believe I read that whole article. Unbelievable.
Mac_Daddy_Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 11cent odometer fix Reply with quote

this is the best idea for odometer fix I've seen, should be bookmarked! thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 11cent odometer fix Reply with quote

The retention washer fix is a great idea for the shaft's moving out of position, but the problem I and many others encountered is the looseness of one or more of the gears on that shaft. You might still discover that you have that problem, for which staking the shaft lightly works very well.

Good fix and great input! Thanks!
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 11cent odometer fix Reply with quote

campism wrote:
The retention washer fix is a great idea for the shaft's moving out of position, but the problem I and many others encountered is the looseness of one or more of the gears on that shaft. You might still discover that you have that problem, for which staking the shaft lightly works very well.

Good fix and great input! Thanks!

Yup my similar fix was not the cure... ended up sending the unit to Van Cafe for a rebuild, works like a charm ever since!
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 11cent odometer fix Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Now I guess I'll see if all the number gears grab, spin, and if the fix holds. I should be on the road in a couple weeks unless I break something else.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 11cent odometer fix Reply with quote

Boxer Rebellion wrote:
this is the best idea for odometer fix I've seen, should be bookmarked! thank you!

It is........ Wink

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 11cent odometer fix Reply with quote

An even cheaper fix is to get a pair of side cutters and pinch the shaft where the gear rides on. That way the gear bites into the shaft and will not turn.

Saves you $.11 and the $5 for gas.
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 11cent odometer fix Reply with quote

You are right if that was the problem; however I needed a washer to keep the shaft with gear from coming out of the housing.

*I originally wanted to put the washer on, facing the other direction so I'd have more room to put the gear on all the way on the other side. Once I removed the axle, I kind of abandoned the idea and ran it like I did. I did NOT NEED to remove the axle, but you learn as you go.

If anyone is going to do this, I'd get a couple washers and then carefully just slip one on without moving the gear on the other side when pushing it on. If you do, make sure both ends have enough room on the axle to function with still having a little play so nothing binds.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 11cent odometer fix Reply with quote

JDub113 wrote:
You are right if that was the problem; however I needed a washer to keep the shaft with gear from coming out of the housing.

A properly secured gear, will not allow the shaft to slide out. If the shaft does slide out, it's because the gear is not held in place. By installing your clip, it may prevent the shaft from sliding all the way out, but if the shaft is sliding that direction, the gear is loose.

A good mechanical bond of the gear fixes the odometer issue. Some use glue, a good mechanical bond works for me. You do not need to peen the shaft too much, just enough to add some teeth.

Understanding the entire problem will allow you to come up with a proper solution. A clip is not needed.
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 11cent odometer fix Reply with quote

I understand. That will be the plan if or when it walks out again. Thanks
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 11cent odometer fix Reply with quote

Just want to report that my speedo and odo work again. It's too early to tell how long it will last, so I'll update later. First 130mi was good!
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: odometer fix with paper clip Reply with quote

Here is the fix for later odometers Wink

Paper clip modified or whatever you want to achieve the same goal

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
blurat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 11cent odometer fix Reply with quote

Just exactly what is supposed to keep that axle in place originally?
I have a speedo that the whole axle walks out and it slips below the gear.
The driven gear is tight on the axleshaft.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 11cent odometer fix Reply with quote

blurat wrote:
Just exactly what is supposed to keep that axle in place originally?
I have a speedo that the whole axle walks out and it slips below the gear.
The driven gear is tight on the axleshaft.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/manage.php
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 11cent odometer fix Reply with quote

There is an aluminum gear on the opposite side of the shaft. This gear holds everything in place. If this gear is loose on the shaft two things happen, one the odometer gears do not turn, two the shaft slides out.

It is comical of all the fixes on this shaft coming out issue, but none are fixing the real issue.

Peen the shaft at the location of the aluminum gear. Do not go further than that gear because you will cause the number gears to not to slide on the shaft.
blurat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 11cent odometer fix Reply with quote

Thank you Mr Butcher.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: