Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pnw_riviera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

Greetings! Got a 1973 Riviera also in Washington state! The image makes the paint look much better than it actually is. Looks like we've both got a Plan II interior, although mine's missing the fridge. Hope to see you around WA state sometime!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wim3600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

That's a nice bus ! Smile
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

pnw_riviera wrote:
Greetings! Got a 1973 Riviera also in Washington state! The image makes the paint look much better than it actually is. Looks like we've both got a Plan II interior, although mine's missing the fridge. Hope to see you around WA state sometime!

Looks nice, we are contemplating getting rid of the fridge after a few seasons camping for more room in the cab but its nice ours is all original. The quality of the cabinets is not holding up well after 40+ years.
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

Poptopcamper wrote:
I have a 1978 Riv Penthouse. All of the furniture and cabinets were with it, except no Fridge or Stove. Mine has a connection for shore power like yours. Does your interior 110 v plug work only when plugged to shore power? All lot of the wiring was pulled by the P.O. so I’m still figuring electrics out. Mine was in sad shape mechanically so I had to get it to run and stop first. Now I am focusing on upholstry and other interior stuff.
Very nice build. Bill

Yes 110 plugs inside only work when connected to shore power from the outside. They never came with an inverter that I know of. Mine had a battery isolator and dual batteries when we bought it, but we removed that with the engine swap.

Currently the only things that work inside when not plugged in are the lights, fridge and coleman furnace that all run off 12V. We bring a solar battery pack that runs the TV, outlets and fans while camping when we need it.
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

Our next project will be to redo the curtains, then fix the roof rack up top. We did our last oil change and will adjust valves and replace push rod tubes in the spring for another summer of adventures in 2022.
pnw_riviera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

Clementine79 wrote:
Looks nice, we are contemplating getting rid of the fridge after a few seasons camping for more room in the cab but its nice ours is all original. The quality of the cabinets is not holding up well after 40+ years.

I feel this. The laminate on my cabinets is coming up and most of the table tops have warped. I've been thinking about getting the interior redone, but I can't really find someone/somewhere close by that would be able to help me.
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

Fresh seals and new pushrod tubes to replace the leaking ones.

These seat perfectly and seem to much higher quality than those previously installed by the builder.

Last edited by Clementine79 on Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

Please tell us you are using sled tins (and the head deflectors are installed) on this engine and you bent the tabs up to install the new pushrod tubes. Cause it looks like they were painted in the up position and don’t show any scratches from the screws.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Please tell us you are using sled tins (and the head deflectors are installed) on this engine and you bent the tabs up to install the new pushrod tubes. Cause it looks like they were painted in the up position and don’t show any scratches from the screws.

Interpretation - You bent the tabs up that hold the lower cooling tins that hold them in place on the Heat Exchangers. These are critical to cooling the heads and pushrod area on the lower part of the heads. This so that your engine gets the full air flow from the fan thats its sole job is to cool the motor while you do 65 mph down the freeway. You know, so you don't overheat the motor and lock it up. Apparently an oversight the previous owner thought was ok to delete. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
. Apparently an oversight the previous owner thought was ok to delete. Wink

Not from a PO, this is a T1 stroker he recently had built.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

Head deflectors are installed, there has never been sled tins installed on this engine. We got it that way from builder, it has type 3 lower tins which replace the sled tins. They may not be as effective? But it has never seemed to have an issue cooling and we have taken it on many trips that were over 2 hours of solid interstate and mountain driving.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

I never heard this type three theory of tents before. I will have to research it. However, I believe sledge tins or a must, I don’t care what type of Lower tins you have. If anything they protect your pushrod tubes.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I never heard this type three theory of tents before. I will have to research it. However, I believe sledge tins or a must, I don’t care what type of Lower tins you have. If anything they protect your pushrod tubes.

These type -

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

Ok, so you don’t need the sled tins for cooling. But, I can’t imagine having my push rod tubes and thermostat exposed like that. The front of my sled tins and heat exchangers are all beat up from rocks, I wouldn’t want those rocks hitting my #1 and #3 exhaust push rods tubes or my Thermostat that’s for sure. Obviously not my bus, but if it was I’d be installing those asap.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

I run the sled tins and all the tins. I have run without them and cooling was fine, but since rebuilding my engine, I run all the tin. The sled tins to protect the push rod tubes and thermostat. It also may affect how quickly the thermostat opens in cold weather, though I’m not sure. This is on a type 4.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

I run the sled tins and all the tins. I have run without them and cooling was fine, but since rebuilding my engine, I run all the tin. The sled tins to protect the push rod tubes and thermostat. It also may affect how quickly the thermostat opens in cold weather, though I’m not sure. This is on a type 4.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

Without the sled tin on the right side, the thermostat (you do have one, right? And the cooling flaps?) won't warm up properly or operate properly.

[Notes on type 3 lower tin: type 3 engines have no fan housing containing directional vanes, thus use the more complex lower cooling tins for proper air control. This is also needed with 'smooth interior' aftermarket fan housings. With a stock OG fan housing, type 3 tins are not desirable.]
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

Telford dropping knowledge!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

New curtains are a work in progress, back is done still need to get the sides and front.
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

Carbs developed a slight leak on both sides, pulled the tops and inspected to find pretty decent ring wear on the Weber brass needle where it seats causing the leaks. I replaced these with Viton tips to remedy the situation, cleaned up the passage ways and filters and reassembled. Float height is set to spec.

Last edited by Clementine79 on Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: