Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Microbus door card clips
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
morts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: 1967 Microbus door card clips Reply with quote

Hi all

I have a '67 sea blue/cumulus white microbus and am looking for some og front door card clips. I am in Australia, however my bus is a German built bus with M plate, not a locally built bus.

I believe the attached pic is of a correct clip for the front doors of later Microbuses. I have been told chrome clips are for the tailgate card whereas these painted, slightly dome head clips are for the front door cards.

Was this the only colour clip for the front door cards or were there different colour clips for different interior colours? (IMO grey clips would look better with my interior trim which is mesh grey as per the second pic.)

As a starting point can anyone confirm what colour clips I need and if anyone has any for sale - thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Microbus door card clips Reply with quote

I've never seen door card clips like that. I thought they were all chromed, with the flat stamped sheet metal tensioner. The painted end, wire spring clips could be an Aussie production thing?

Also, that camper pop top is Badass!

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Microbus door card clips Reply with quote

I think that they are stainless steel. At least I can't recall ever seen a rusty or pitted one on any bus I have worked on or disassembled. Whatever the metal, they are shiny and silver on every German produced split bus I have ever seen. Also, the springy part is a folded flat steel, not a round profile.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Microbus door card clips Reply with quote

These clips came on my '67. I believe they are from a GM

Wolfsburg West sells a nice reproduction of originals.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Microbus door card clips Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
Look nice laying on the counter or affix the door panel nice... or both?
I've read multiple times they're not that nice (fitting). Maybe something has changed.

I think I recall people saying the reproduction clip's curvature near the head is just a little off... and so they don't clip in/retain the door card as well as original clips.

They are a stainless button crimped on a galvanized steel clip. (NOS)
( shameless plug: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2452857 )

von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Microbus door card clips Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
von_hansel wrote:

They look nice on front door panels and hold nicely. Actually they were a PITA to pull out after install. I haven't had a single one pop out on its own.

Stop by at SpringPicnic or Blackstar to check them out in person.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Microbus door card clips Reply with quote

morts wrote:
Hi all

The above clip is something I've seen at hardware stores. Not VW

These are used on cab door panels for 12/63-67 buses:

If yours pop out, you can carefully pull the tangs a little farther apart to make make them hold better.

This green kombi is a very early 66. It was buildt before they got the small flipper door handle in October 1965 at VIN 216 046 096.
12/63 through Oct 65 buses used 21 clips per door panel.

67 sc:

Buses got the pull handle and the small flipper door handle in October 1965, at VIN 216 046 096.
The pull handle screws into metal 'speed clips' that slide into the door at the square holes. So for most 66s and all 67s, make sure you have those metal clips in place BEFORE you install the door panel.
with the later flipper and pull handle on top, 19 chrome headed clips are used per door. Two of the holes are used for the pull handle

The rear hatch uses 18 clips:

These clips were also used for rear hatch on bays.
Later bays used fewer clips (16 iirc)
I think the bay Westys used clips for the sliding door panel, grey headed clips that rust.
Sliding door microbuses used the chrome clips for sliding door.
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Microbus door card clips Reply with quote

I have never seen the first style of clips.

My 65 firetruck has the clips like the bay ones but the button is silvery galvanized steel.

The bay ones the button is made of stainless steel.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
morts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Microbus door card clips Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who has replied - the info is very helpful. Unfortunately the bus is away from my place atm, however my wife will be going to where it is tomorrow so I will get her to report on the clips we have.

Quote:
Also, that camper pop top is Badass!

JP, that top led to the bus being named Cat in the Hat and it is the highest camper top I have ever been in!
Since finding the bus it has had a lot of metalwork done and been re-painted in the maroon colour we found it - the og colour was sea blue/cumulus white so after the extensive body work all new metal was painted in these colours with the idea being as it gets paint chips the blue/white will start to show through from under the maroon colour.
Here are a few pics of it getting 'monogrammed Laughing '

After this was done Fish and Thing 1 and Thing 2 were added as we had a lot of long side for a canvas... Laughing

morts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Microbus door card clips Reply with quote

I should add this bus gets driven in some harsh environments. Our club (Volks Enthusiasts Club of SA) does camping trips into the outback where we travel on as many dirt roads/4wd tracks as we can find to obscure towns and places. Think Shasta without snow Laughing
This year's trip is a 14 day trip to Ayers Rock/Uluru, but going the back way through some very challenging desert country. (we are leaving on 15 May.)
These trips are called RATeX in recognition of the early REDDeX around Australia reliability trials. I think it was in 1955 that a beetle actually won and may have even have placed second as well - a pretty good achievement given beetles weren't imported into Aus until 1953!

morts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Microbus door card clips Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
von_hansel wrote:
I've read multiple times they're not that nice (fitting). Maybe something has changed.

I think I recall people saying the reproduction clip's curvature near the head is just a little off... and so they don't clip in/retain the door card as well as original clips.

They are a stainless button crimped on a galvanized steel clip. (NOS)
( shameless plug: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2452857 )

Thanks easy e - I will be in touch once we have done a count now that we know what we are looking for.
bmacinSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Microbus door card clips Reply with quote

67 sc:

Quote:
Buses got the pull handle and the small flipper door handle in October 1965, at VIN 216 046 096.
The pull handle screws into metal 'speed clips' that slide into the door at the square holes. So for most 66s and all 67s, make sure you have those metal clips in place BEFORE you install the door panel.
with the later flipper and pull handle on top, 19 chrome headed clips are used per door. Two of the holes are used for the pull handle

The speed clips/U clips/speed fasteners to attach the interior pull handle in a 67 bus (other years use them but my bus is a 67) are available at WolfsburgWest as part number N154301. The screws to use with the clips are part number N140951.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Microbus door card clips Reply with quote

Keep posting here about you and your Club's outback adventures, stories and photos! We'll be watching!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: