Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfinwesty Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
subscribed!

How well does it do just driving around, or do you have engine driven A/C for those times?

I have a 300ah lithium to run the Dometic RTX2000 and other appliances (fridge, freezer, etc). It’s setup with a 200w solar panel using a solar controller that also isolates the battery and feeds alternator current when available.

I also have a dedicated starting battery along with another 100AH which powers the inverter, audio/video, amplifiers, lights, and everything else. This is connected to a portable GoWesty 110 watt solar blanket and plugin system).

I haven’t installed all the battery monitors yet, but I’ve been running the Dometic for about a week (off and on, around town, testing, etc.) and it seems to be plenty of juice.

In hindsight, I have a feeling I have too much power. Lol

Retired:
"Swell Chaser #1" 1980 Westy (in VW Heaven)
"Swell Chaser #2" 1981 Westy (sold to loving family on TheSamba forum)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

That is a lot of power!

The original Crooked Finger Dometic A/C install is on my buddy's van, it's pretty slick.

He's not a Samba user but I'd be happy to answer any questions on it or forward them to him for responses.

1988 Microsquirted, Wolfsburg Vanagon (Sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=708000&highlight=

Microsquirt Conversion Guide (Work now Discontinued): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1laXykNPbRYS8MT...2imqd2pnx7
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

surfinwesty wrote:
steve244 wrote:
subscribed!

How well does it do just driving around, or do you have engine driven A/C for those times?

I have a 300ah lithium to run the Dometic RTX2000 and other appliances (fridge, freezer, etc). It’s setup with a 200w solar panel using a solar controller that also isolates the battery and feeds alternator current when available.

I also have a dedicated starting battery along with another 100AH which powers the inverter, audio/video, amplifiers, lights, and everything else. This is connected to a portable GoWesty 110 watt solar blanket and plugin system).

I haven’t installed all the battery monitors yet, but I’ve been running the Dometic for about a week (off and on, around town, testing, etc.) and it seems to be plenty of juice.

In hindsight, I have a feeling I have too much power. Lol

You've got the power, but how well does it cool the interior on a sunny warm summer day?
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

surfinwesty wrote:
Just installed the Dometic RTX2000. Wow!

A few side images. The unit is really sleek.

I recorded the install in detail. I’ll start another thread with my steps and notes to help others looking to ‘chill out.’

Based on the results I’ve experienced, I’d imagine these will be commonplace on Vanagons over the next 2-5 years. Very efficient.

In 88 degree heat I had the pop top open and it was like camping in a hotel room. Seriously cool upgrade.

Looking forward to seeing your install documentation. Also overall battery consumption. Do you believe you could run the AC all night long while camping of your battery bank? If so, be interesting to see how long it takes for your battery bank to recover from solar and alternator. Running an gas powered inverter/generator isn't an option for us.

Install looks very clean. Not sure I have the stomach to cut a good size hole in my luggage rack and roof. Maybe your pictures will give me courage. Thank you. mark
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Since I will soon be installing a coast mountain hightop on my westy, this discussion has gotten me thinking, pondering and comparing. There are numerous china made 12 volt ac units now available on eBay and Amazon at the same or nearly the same price as the 120 volt RV ac units. At least one is a dead ringer for the Dometic unit. For my own personal use, I have decided to go with a standard, 120 volt, low profile, 9500 btu unit by Houghton sold through Recpro, an RV parts and restoration supplier. For me, I camp most of the time in state parks with electrical hookups and only occasionally in national parks. I never boondock. The extra expense of a 180 ah plus lithium battery plus dc/dc charger is not something I want to do. I do have the under dash Behr ac unit that I am still working on for ac while driving so that is another factor for me. I will still be watching to see the evolution of these units over time. Maybe in the future, it will make sense for me but not currently.
2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI
Way too many previously owned to list!

Last edited by dieseltdi on Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Generally we camp in state parks when possible too. We left from Florida end of May this year and carried our 5000 btu window unit to Colorado and back. First night camping in North Florida, a slight cool front had move in. Didn't need the AC. The rest of the trip we did not need the AC for camping. Its a small form factor and sets up quick, but something a little more permanent for camping would be nice. 12 volt even better. Every year it gets closer to becoming a reality.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Update: My thermometer came in today and I was able to run the Dometic RTX2000 AC in 94 degree weather in direct sunlight. Pretty unbearable inside as the temperature was over 100 degrees when I opened the door.

In boost mode, the Vanagon near the captain’s chair went from 100.4 to 78 degrees in about 15 minutes. As the outside temp dropped from 94 to 90, the temperature got down to 76-77 degrees.

See below:

Link

Tomorrow is going to be much hotter. I plan to test it again and in different locations and scenarios (top up or down, etc). I’ll update then.

Retired:
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

How about the back? Nevermind, I watched the video.

This is great performance in the front seats.

Did you have any partition?

As opposed to what I put up with in FL 2 weeks ago, this would have been a game changer.

I have a sanden compressor and mount and drive kit for a 79 bus with a 2 liter and am going to try to make it work on my 82. If that falls, this is a good fallback solution.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...

Last edited by steve244 on Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

No partition, just a standard Westy.

I’ll test the back tomorrow during the peak of the heat wave. My guess is that there is a 5-7 degree difference (warmer in the back). However, you can feel the cool streams moving around, especially with the small DC fans helping to circulate it. The experience in the back is WAY more comfortable.

Retired:
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Watched your video and updated my post.

This is very interesting.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
How about the back? Nevermind, I watched the video.

This is great performance in the front seats.

Dude, the content is in the video. About 84 degrees. Cool

OP, this is pretty neat. It'll be interesting to see battery monitors record amp hours consumed over a full night with no charging. Also the different draws at boost or eco mode.

Calling this the Kittyhawk of Vanagons is going too far but it is breaking ground.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

This is pretty neat, and I look forward to an install thread link being posted here! Very Happy

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Quote:
My main goal is to have ac when driving,

5000 BTU won’t keep you cool while driving.

A 180 amp hour battery will run an 18amp load for 5 hours max and life will be short

Every summer, thermodynamics gets challenged here on the Samba, and she always wins.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Quote:
Every summer, thermodynamics gets challenged here on the Samba, and she always wins.

But every year a win gets a little closer. Wink
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
My main goal is to have ac when driving,

5000 BTU won’t keep you cool while driving.

A 180 amp hour battery will run an 18amp load for 5 hours max and life will be short

It draws 60 amps at 12 volts and keeps the front occupants comfortable. In eco mode it draws 19 amps. This is useful. Not my first choice but it has potential.
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

As a comparison, anyone know or would care to estimate the BTU output of Small Car's dash AC system? I don't think they know themselves, but I've heard similar reports about barely keeping the front occupants comfortable but not much else.

It would be useful to know as it relates to these alternative 12V units.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

As someone with 300aH lifepo4 with 150ah backup, for a weekend trip I have excess battery power. I'd be glad to run 20 amps eco mode for several hours.

I think soon we will see someone drop 900aH lifepo4 DIY right above the 2wd trans. It would cost less than 2k for that big bank. That would mean ~44 hours of eco runtime with this unit.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

I have the Vintage Air Gen 2 which I think is similar to the small car unit. With reflective clear tint on the windshield and door windows, it keeps the front occupants very comfortable. Will aim center vents down the aisle with a 12 volt fan. Helps keep the dog comfortable. At night or a cloudy day, it will freeze you out.

My interest is a 12 volt Ac I can run at night off a battery bank and recover during the day. Doesn’t seem like we are there yet, but closer every year.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

My interest is a 12 volt Ac I can run at night off a battery bank and recover during the day. Doesn’t seem like we are there yet, but closer every year.

Well there are 50amp DC-DC chargers out there. Theoretically, if you plan to drive ~3 hours on your recovery day you could have 8 hours (160ah) of eco runtime.

Note - my 50 amp Redarc dc-dc overheats and throttles dc-dc charging - the design of product was intended to be in front of radiator with airflow.
OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

drj434343 wrote:
As a comparison, anyone know or would care to estimate the BTU output of Small Car's dash AC system? I don't think they know themselves, but I've heard similar reports about barely keeping the front occupants comfortable but not much else.

It would be useful to know as it relates to these alternative 12V units.

Really good question.

Especially when considering the small car unit is $2000.

I personally would rather spend a bit more and have a system that I can run while driving and also while not driving!
Though I realize this unit seems to not quite be powerful enough to replace the normal engine driven AC.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: