Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coolant Temp Meter Conversion to Oil Temp?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WonderinMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Coolant Temp Meter Conversion to Oil Temp? Reply with quote

Hey all-

Just installed a second oil cooler, taco plate, and oil temp sender after the ring on the #2 cylinder shit the bed and dumped oil into the cylinder (compression was at like 20 or something, while 1,3, and 4 were between 135-140)- I think the ring gave out due to high temp (damn aircooled engines Confused Crying or Very sad ).

Anywho, I converted the stock 82 dash cluster that replaces the clock with the tach and a GW harness upgrade, to which the tach and fuel meter work well. Now, I was thinking of using the unused coolant temp meter for the oil temp, but just unsure about resistances and if this is even possible. Does any one have a lead on how to make this work, maybe adding some resistors in-line? Is it possible just to plug and play (I don't think it will be this way, but heres to wishful thinking?!)? Any help here is appreciated- wanting to stay away from non-stock meter options, so if I can utilize the coolant temp meter I'd rather do that.

Thanks a bunch!

Sooooo (air)cooooool(ed)!

Priors:
|'97 Getta - SCCA-raced|
|'62 Splitty Bus|
|'68 Beetle|
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Meter Conversion to Oil Temp? Reply with quote

not sure if this will help you...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=464113
-Paulbeard

Your bringing the atomic Bomb of fact to a knife fight of trivia.
-Abscate
WonderinMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Meter Conversion to Oil Temp? Reply with quote

Yep, this is what I found so far- I think I'll check to see if the resistance of the sender is around what is listed in this thread as a start (good advice). Thanks!

Priors:
|'97 Getta - SCCA-raced|
|'62 Splitty Bus|
|'68 Beetle|
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Meter Conversion to Oil Temp? Reply with quote

If you use the coolant temp sensor just installed in the oil system it should be plug and play. You won’t have numbers, but most engines will run the gauge just above the light which is roughly 190f. Oil will run hotter, but I doubt it will peg the coolant gauge in normal operation.
WonderinMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Meter Conversion to Oil Temp? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
If you use the coolant temp sensor just installed in the oil system it should be plug and play.

Its an oil temp sender, not coolant... I'm not sure that the threading would have been the same anyways.

Priors:
|'97 Getta - SCCA-raced|
|'62 Splitty Bus|
|'68 Beetle|
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Meter Conversion to Oil Temp? Reply with quote

WonderinMan wrote:
MarkWard wrote:
If you use the coolant temp sensor just installed in the oil system it should be plug and play.

Its an oil temp sender, not coolant... I'm not sure that the threading would have been the same anyways.

Let me rephrase that, you can use the coolant temp sender in place of an oil temp sensor. They are both resistance to ground sensors. The coolant temp sensor will fit a female 1/8" NPT fitting. That's likely what you have. If not, there are adapters available.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: