Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Bit of an update as I see now I've been absent with this thread for 6 months. Good news though, the Room for one more? thread may become retitled to the "This bus project inspired me to move and build a shop" thread.

We've been spending a lot of time trying to figure out finding property I can build on, but also in the right location in a rather tough market. I won't bore you with the complexities, but we recently closed on a new home and started the process of moving my family and belongings to the new place. We've lived in this last home 19 years and raised our family here so pretty dug in. Doing the whole purge and all, feels bittersweet!!

One of the most critical pieces of the move will be getting Blue out to the new place first. Brian graciously agreed to help me with this piece an I'd be in trouble without his help. The other buses can move out under their own power. A pretty decent snow storm fell last week and I've been shoveling for days. Was pretty enjoyable making a passage to free this baby.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Flattened the bed down and filled the bus up with every part I could find that is connected to the project. Centered her up and had her off the dollies ready for its ride out.

I'm sure you all know it can be stressful arranging all the pieces in a move. It's not all we have going on either. Just Bonkers over here. Super cool to see Brian and his Dad show up with extra muscle and their car trailer. Worked pretty slick to line her up and push her on the trailer.

She looks good in the sun. I forgot how neat and straight she is. I couldn't really appreciate her beauty tucked in that bay that's more suited for a golf cart. Always was a push to get her rolling in anticipation for just this day. Thanks to all who helped me get to this point.

At the new home, with all the snow still laying around, Brian's Dad had to back up the entire driveway.

After that it was a snap to roll her off and push her into the corner on the dollies. This is where she will sit until the shop is built. Lots to do until then. None of it is bus work Crying or Very sad But it is all a part of the larger plan to get into a better situation to make working on buses more enjoyable. Thats about it! I'll probably go dormant while I get all this sorted out! Thanks Friends!!

1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Congratulations on the new digs. Take your time getting it right. We'll wait.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I’m just glad to see you post anything Smile it’s been a while. Was afraid the mothership came back to Devil’s Tower and abducted you!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pu-W292TsRM
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

congrats. good to have a shop

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Congrats on the move. Heck yeah on the impending shop.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I have to ask, is this the bus that sat off Hwy 44 no to far from Canyon Lake? I tried for a few years to buy one from a guy who had one that looked a lot like this for 5 years. I finally gave up and one of my friends back there told me it had been finally sold. I vaguely remember there be a receptacle on the side or back corner. I'll go back and look at your pictures.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Season’s Greatings people!
Well, it’s been a whilrwind year! Moved into new place end of April 2023 and spent the last several months getting everything settled. I won’t go into every personal detail, but it’s safe to say y’all know it’s a lot of work and I had to do it around my normal responsibilities. Got to go on a few bus cruises, but little to no time to work on fixing buses.….. I’m here to report on my upcoming workshop. I know this pause will pay off big time once I can occupy it I’m sure I will catch up quickly and then some.

We opted to go for a shop that was closer to the house. Detatched, corner to corner within 10 feet of existing attached garage. With this close proximity, I’m going to match materials and esthetic to the existing home and seeing it as more an addition than an out building. 30X36 with 10 foot ceiling. It’s the largest we could get on this area considering the location of underground utilities. I feel I will be able to park two buses or cars in this building and still have room for tools and projects. Feels like a huge improvement to what I was working with at our last place where I learned how to economize every inch of a workspace.

Our last winter in western Dakota was an above average amount of yearly snowfall that in the spring time turning into a huge amount of rain….everyday rain that put down measurable amounts. This put our estimated August build start date 3 months behind. I was looking to avoid a winter build, but it is exactly what we’re having. Still, very grateful to have gotten started and my patience is paying off as my builder is now on-site every day and crushing it. This fall and winter has been cooperating, we havnt’ t had my snow yet and all days are still above freezing, so concrete work is not interrupted. They say once the crete work is done, the winter won’t affect the build at all, so fingers crossed. We’re slated to pour the shop floor the day after Christmas. Happy to have the day off to help them muck and clean their tools. I know concrete but I’m not flexing, just showing them I know what to do by being their helpful laborer and tool cleaner etc.

The plan at this time is to be able to get our two daily drivers inside along with these 3 buses. Tons of work benches and overhead shelving. Eliminate storage unit and bring in larger tools like sand blast booth etc. I have my first small lathe in hand waiting in the wings. Visuallising a welding table. I’ll prob have to pull a few cars in there when I can to start making practical plans I can base on reality.

If this goes up by April I will have it to use within a year and that seems reasonable considering all the moving parts. I don’t know what I’m going to be able to make in this space, but for sure, I’m going to finish the ‘60 camper bus first.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Glad to see you got moved into your new digs and are making space for some cave action. I'm getting things put together to get a detached at my place so I can get back to working on my Squareback and Vair. My other garages are full right now waiting on the shop. I'm sure you'll enjoy the new space and you'll fill it up quick. Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Very happy to see this thread pop up on Christmas Day! Wishing you the best for the move & new year. Will be great to see more posts when time allows.

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Glad to see you got moved into your new digs and are making space for some cave action. I'm getting things put together to get a detached at my place so I can get back to working on my Squareback and Vair. My other garages are full right now waiting on the shop. I'm sure you'll enjoy the new space and you'll fill it up quick. Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

Thanks for checking in MonT3! Cave action! I’m calling it that from now on. It’s kinda weird having the buses waiting for attention, but I’m feeling the steps it takes to refresh an old car are similar to building this structure. A huge investment in time and capital mixed with a lot of materials/method research, physical exertion and patience. In the end I know it will be worth it and I’m realizing now it’s not a part of this hobby one can easily opt out of. When I’m all set up I’ll have you out for a tour! Peace to you and your fam on the eve of ‘24!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Bendango wrote:
Very happy to see this thread pop up on Christmas Day! Wishing you the best for the move & new year. Will be great to see more posts when time allows.

What’s up old friend! Thank you for checking in and the well wishes! Things are going amazingly, but we’ve finally had our first winter setback….

We were all set to pour the shop floor the day after Christmas, but we got some snow that made it impossible. The forecast said the storm would miss us, but we caught 5-6 hours of the side of it and it put down several inches of heavy wet snow, so we had to bag the pour. Rescheduled it 3 days later as it was to be 50 degrees as it often is here we have huge swings in the weather.

Shoveled out the site best we could with rebar on the floor and another day to sweep out the remaining and everything was set for another attempt. The problem came when the mud trick driver wouldn’t come down my road because it had packed snow on a few hills. His manager cancelled the whole deal and they sent the mud back to the plant. I can understand their position but the road wasn’t really that bad, just wasn’t our day. My builder was fuming hot and I had to say what I could to calm him down. He thinks they will make us pay for the concrete, but I encouraged him set it down for now and call them in a few days when everyone was calmer. I suggested we just laugh it off because it’s just money and review our options. I said, so it’s not a Cinderella build and he replied, yeah, it’s been going great up till now. So the weather caught us this time, but we had such favorable weather into December that we got our foundation in. I asked, why not start building the structure and when the road opens enough we can pour the floor indoors, even on a rainy or cold day.

I’m so impressed with my builder, Hendrick. He asked his partner “Do you want to build walls then?” Within an hour they pivoted and started in on those. We had a good talk about some details and I left them alone to get those started.

The walls are ten foot high and with only one framed, I’m already able to get a feeling for the space. Daring to dream about what this will look and feel like. These guys seem excited to continue through the initial build and make the work benches and shelving I will be needing. We’ve all been getting along great so far, I’m seeing this weeks difficulties as easy to accept and overcome and even a blessing we both saw each others true mettle and can carry that into the future phases of this project.

I’m truly in disbelief this is happening at all. I can’t get over the whole situation and very grateful.
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

I like the way you approach these setbacks. Great mentality.

Braukuche wrote:
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Nice to see this thread pop up! Great updates and look forward to seeing progress all around. Great outlook to start a new and productive year with!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

earlywesty wrote:
Nice to see this thread pop up! Great updates and look forward to seeing progress all around. Great outlook to start a new and productive year with!

Thanks early!

Builders have been moving along everyday and now have the walls framed and trusses up. How exciting to chat a bit in the AM on my way out the door to work and come home later to see their progress. They give me instructions to figure out what materials I will be wanting and I’m eager to consider my options. The windows came in on budget, but the side door will be a little extra if I want it finished, stuff like that. I’m wanting this move in ready sooner than later, so I’m opting for finished. I’ve decided not to do sheet rock inside for various reasons and going for a corrugated steel ceiling, sheet steel, diamond plate kicks, tongue in groove wood and painted OSB in and around my build in benches and shelving.

Brian (type-e) and my buddy Tony came out yesterday to visit and check out our progress first hand. Awesome to have a walkthrough with my closest gear head buddies to weigh in on the best set up I will be wanting. Storage, electrical, tool placement, heat, air lines, lighting, benches….it’s really cold right now, so we kept the tour brief and went back into the house to get the game plan going in a little more comfort. Fortunate to have this kind of input. It’s not the world’s largest shop, but it’s way more than I’ve ever had and my last set up taught me how to really economize space. We were saying, how come moving sucks so bad, but I can’t wait to move all my stuff into this space! It’s gonna change every other room in the house and eliminate my costly storage unit. Daring to start dreaming about what my first projects will be.

Last edited by WildIdea on Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Bendango wrote:
I like the way you approach these setbacks. Great mentality.

Thank you Bendango,
I’m older now Laughing
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

[quote="WildIdea"]
earlywesty wrote:
Daring to start dreaming about what my first projects will be.

Well, what ever it is it better be 60’ related!

Braukuche wrote:
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

[quote="Bendango"]
WildIdea wrote:
earlywesty wrote:
Daring to start dreaming about what my first projects will be.

Well, what ever it is it better be 60’ related!

Yes, this will be the first order of business, I had left the ‘60s engine build semi complete and the camping interior completely untouched. I took the time to pack all this up and stowed orderly and regularly do a physical and mental walkthrough of the status. The engine build will need my thinking hat that I’m using for other things at the moment. I cannot wait to roll that bus over and empty it out and get started again.

I’m not open to bringing other car builds home, as these three buses are keeping me more than busy enough. For instance, I’d love to pull my bay windows speedometer and go through it and get the odometer working again, but it’s safest in the dash until I have space to work on it and leave it half complete and whatnot. Red and green buses both looking at stereos and minor upkeep.

That’s not all I do either, last few years I took on casting lessons and tooled up to do it at home. Both investment casting and sand casting in bronze. Medallic art, jewelry as well as tattoo machine frames. This involves wax modeling, casting, machining and finishing. The missing link for me was the machining part, for which Brian has helped me with and is now guiding me to learning this skill. He has recently helped me purchase my first table top lathe, which I have in hand waiting in the shed next to the new shop. Picture something like a brass hose bib that was cast and the threads and seal surfaces machined. Now picture being able to realize any object you can dream up, form and function. This is one of the top purposes of this shop.

This situation has always either been find a pro to move your project along or invest in the tools and get good with them. Help is great and I greatly respect quality craftsmanship, but it puts projects on someone else’s timeline. If they speed up your timeline, it usually costs and that’s great but I like the feeling I get from using my own hands and seeing things go down with my own eyes. No project seems impossible or too complicated, I just have to decide if I want the challenge or is it practical to take on. Some tools don’t mix and space matters, like my casting sand cant be around my open engine cases. But the real big time factor for me has always been the weather, is the temperature and conditions right for the project. Paint, glue, humidity, winter temps, summer heat all have to be considered and the mental gymnastics around timing that on a rare day off. Freezing your ass off sucks and you can being sweaty isn’t much better. Presses down on the creativity and ultimately the outcome if you know what I mean.

I don’t believe I’ll ever be, or want to be a one man show. I love that my friends are encouraging me to take on more and keep growing as a bus man and artist. I want nothing more than to add levels to what I’m capable of and realize more complicated projects that are wanting out of my head. The shop is going to change the way I approach things big time. Takes the temperature thing out of the picture. Bad weather too. Streamline the steps and make the ergonomics of a procedure optimal, instead of making do or what is regarded as a bush fix. This is what I’m dreaming about or if consuming thoughts a daydream at a minimum. What if I could grab materials and cut, grind, shape and hammer on without moving the lawn mower out of the way first. Abruptly pause the project in its designated space and return to it unmolested. When I didn’t have this I had mental acceptance around it, now that it’s a new thing I’m looking to get the most out of it. I just had to decide that I wanted it or allow myself to and now that I have I’m leaning into it.
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Applause Rock on!!! 🤘

Braukuche wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Your garage is looking good! Getting that done has got to be a great feeling knowing you’ll have all your tools and bits and pieces in one place. I began to fill out my work permit to get submitted so I can get on my builder’s schedule. Need to measure distances and plot them as part of the application. I’m going to put in a 30x40 in my back yard so I’m very excited like to you to plan things out. Think the inside of your place is going to look cool with the steel ceiling and metal siding. Ge that industrial look going!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Room for one more? WildIdea's 1960 camper bus Reply with quote

Nice, they are making quick work of the framing!

Now, here in New Jersey, they absolutely would not let me build a garage with trusses at the gable ends like that. You had to construct the end walls with vertical studs extending from the bottom wall to the top edge of the truss without interruption. That, along with requiring metal vertical uplift straps at all places where studs attached brought the cost of stick built over the cost of a metal building. There were literally hundreds of metal ties, requiring thousands of fasteners. I am 35 miles from the shore, and after Superstorm Sandy, they raised the wind loading requirements significantly.

I could have just had a bare pole barn built, get it approved and inspected, then put in electrical, insulation, drywall, etc. after the fact, but I didn't want a building which would no longer be zoning compliant.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 32

Jump to: