Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BriceTheNice
Samba Member


Joined: February 24, 2020
Posts: 2
Location: Montreal, Canada
BriceTheNice is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

Hello, my name is Frederic and i would love to have your help to go through my project.

I am a mechanical engineering student.. but mechanical engineering does not necessarily mean car mechanic. Speaking for myself, all the basic car mechanic knowledge that i know, went from forum and YouTube..

Since I remember, I always wanted to build/restore my own 1967 or earlier VW Westfalia split-window.

Next year, I'll be finish with school and I will start setup myself to start my project.

I am aware I will probably spend more money by restoring an old Westfalia than buying an already restored one, but my dream project, and even if it take me several years, I will get it done.

I am currently looking to find/buy a bus. My only condition is it has to be for restoration (idc about the quantity of work has to be done). On the internet, I sometime find some to sell, but the price is always around 15 000$. I heard a lot of people saying they find and bought one that has been abandon for cheap price. I would prefer that situation..

My first questions are :

Do you know where I could look to find an old Westfalia asking for restoration for cheap price? (a west that is broken sleeping on a field)

From your knowledge, how much is the approximate price for an Westfalia up to be restored?

Thanks in advance for you answers.

In the hope to follow up with you on my project.

Fred
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member


Joined: September 03, 2004
Posts: 7732

Braukuche is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restauration? Reply with quote

The classifieds here is the best place to look to get an idea of internet pricing, real deals requires looking in local publications, backyards and putting the word out.
_________________
Go Reds! Smash state!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 convertible bug
1963 356 B coupe
1962 356 B Coupe
1967 21 window rust bucket
1967 912
1969 Ghia convertible
1970 Ghia convertible
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dustin B
Samba Member


Joined: March 29, 2007
Posts: 1003
Location: hesperia, Ca USA
Dustin B is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restauration? Reply with quote

This is a good place to start looking.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=5
_________________
Wanted Victoria motors licence plate frame.

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BriceTheNice
Samba Member


Joined: February 24, 2020
Posts: 2
Location: Montreal, Canada
BriceTheNice is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

Thanks, that helps a lot!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member


Joined: January 27, 2004
Posts: 2695
Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11
ToolBox is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restauration? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
The classifieds here is the best place to look to get an idea of internet pricing, real deals requires looking in local publications, backyards and putting the word out.


And having a large readily available stack of cash. have cash with you if you go look at something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio_Style
Samba Member


Joined: July 09, 2007
Posts: 468
Location: You'll never leave Sparta alive, Ohio
Ohio_Style is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

Does it have to be a Westfalia or just a split bus you can camp in? Real westfalia and other original camper conversions command a premium over other 11 window or panel busses. If you just want to camp, consider buying just a regular Kombi and building out your own camping kit in it.
_________________
Matt Johnson
IG @zerobalancebuilds
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMYvglQ9fVXv_dSX2m4ZGWg
Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: February 05, 2014
Posts: 1391
Location: Edge of the Desert, Ca
oakman is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

Spend more up front and buy something nice that will hold it's value over time.

This Westfalia looks nice:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2356250


Here's a nice looking panel camper:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2323114


Here's a project Westy that looks like it has a lot of potential:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2355133


Another nice looking walkthru panel camper:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2354225
_________________
Brandon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North


Joined: August 09, 2000
Posts: 19260
Location: Land of Whine and Phonies
crofty is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2356250

ďOriginal interiorĒ not quite the case here.



I suggest doing your homework and what makes a westy a westy.camper parts can be difficult to find and the more you go in knowing the better.

buy the best bus you can afford.
_________________
When in doubt, logo it out!!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member


Joined: August 17, 2004
Posts: 2164
Location: Canada
velvetgreen is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

"buy the best bus you can afford" <- sage advice indeed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member


Joined: August 16, 2005
Posts: 254
Location: Co. Mayo. Ireland
SplitBusVanatic is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

Wow. The prices are gone through the roof since I found my Ďprojectí.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member


Joined: September 30, 2008
Posts: 9716
Location: Prime Meridian, ID
hitest is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

If you haven't owned or regularly driven a split bus- I strongly recommend you buy a running, complete one first. Find a kombi you can fix the seats, do a brake job on first- it does not have to be pretty. The reason is simple. You might buy a project, work on it for 4 years, making some friends along the way, have a chance to drive one and find you don't like it! Now your bus is in pieces and rent's due. I've seen MANY new people to a particular hobby get discouraged when they start with a project of their dreams before experiencing a little actual life with one.
_________________
EverettB wrote:

I wonder what the nut looks like.



'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cam.goslin
Samba Member


Joined: March 06, 2015
Posts: 15

Cam.goslin is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Spend more up front and buy something nice that will hold it's value over time.

This Westfalia looks nice:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2356250


Here's a nice looking panel camper:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2323114


Here's a project Westy that looks like it has a lot of potential:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2355133


Another nice looking walkthru panel camper:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2354225



Can anyone tell me what type of camper this last one is?^ The green 63 in VT. Sundial?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
langsmer
Samba Member


Joined: November 18, 2004
Posts: 1119
Location: CO/NM border
langsmer is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

Hard to say as the listing was deleted, but looks like a Riviera or Sundial.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef


Joined: December 13, 2002
Posts: 5550
Location: Vermont
crukab is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

Cam.goslin wrote:
oakman wrote:
Spend more up front and buy something nice that will hold it's value over time.

This Westfalia looks nice:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2356250


Here's a nice looking panel camper:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2323114


Here's a project Westy that looks like it has a lot of potential:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2355133


Another nice looking walkthru panel camper:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2354225



Can anyone tell me what type of camper this last one is?^ The green 63 in VT. Sundial?


I think it was a Sundial, it was not a Westy, it was for sale for a good bit of time, maybe like $30K ??
_________________
Tom

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'65 Bus/Panel/camper W/T
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cam.goslin
Samba Member


Joined: March 06, 2015
Posts: 15

Cam.goslin is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Cam.goslin wrote:
oakman wrote:
Spend more up front and buy something nice that will hold it's value over time.

This Westfalia looks nice:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2356250


Here's a nice looking panel camper:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2323114


Here's a project Westy that looks like it has a lot of potential:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2355133


Another nice looking walkthru panel camper:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2354225



Can anyone tell me what type of camper this last one is?^ The green 63 in VT. Sundial?


I think it was a Sundial, it was not a Westy, it was for sale for a good bit of time, maybe like $30K ??



Thanks for the replies! Yeah it looks like it was listed at 28. Iím looking into buying a split camper and have never owned a split so Iím just trying to figure out what Iíve got to pay for a decent camper. I'm in the same boat as the OP, ready to buy but unsure as to what is a decent deal out there.


Last edited by Cam.goslin on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator


Joined: April 11, 2000
Posts: 64708
Location: Phoenix, AZ
EverettB is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

Cam.goslin wrote:
crukab wrote:
Cam.goslin wrote:
oakman wrote:
Spend more up front and buy something nice that will hold it's value over time.

This Westfalia looks nice:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2356250


Here's a nice looking panel camper:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2323114


Here's a project Westy that looks like it has a lot of potential:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2355133


Another nice looking walkthru panel camper:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2354225



Can anyone tell me what type of camper this last one is?^ The green 63 in VT. Sundial?


I think it was a Sundial, it was not a Westy, it was for sale for a good bit of time, maybe like $30K ??



Thanks for the replies! Yeah it looks like it was listed at 28. Iím looking into buying a split camper and have never owned a split so Iím just trying to figure out what Iíve got to pay for a decent camper.


The last one listed above was listed at $28,000

This one
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2354225

In the ad text it says it was a Caravelle camper:
The Ad wrote:
1963 split seat camper van, converted by Caravelle when it was brand new

_________________
How to Post Photos
Everett Barnes - [email protected] | My wanted ads
"Water is the only drink for a wise man" | "Communication prevents complaints"
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: February 05, 2014
Posts: 1391
Location: Edge of the Desert, Ca
oakman is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

Here's a nice camper that was listed today:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2395240
_________________
Brandon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cam.goslin
Samba Member


Joined: March 06, 2015
Posts: 15

Cam.goslin is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Here's a nice camper that was listed today:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2395240


Thanks to everyone for the replies, hopefully this will also help the OP if they are still in the market. I really love the Dove blue camper and it is in the price range that I am looking at. Below are a few others that I have been looking into. It would be nice to get some opinions on these if possible as I have never bought a split window and know the prices are high but unsure as to whether these are worth it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2393408
Westflia is appealing to me as I love the bay window westfalias and have a couple in my garage right now. Has the tent, and I love the Turkis green but it is overseas.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2335377
This one is in the states and comes with tent. Mostly original paint.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2316470

This one is in Vermont which is local to me for 30. No tent that I know of but that is not a big deal. Does need interior work from the comments in the ad.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2332529

This one is in the states, but is not original paint.



https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2354225

This one is in Vermont, again local to me, and I have been in contact with the owner. Love the Turkis.

These are just a few that I am currently looking at, I would really love an original paint camper so the dove blue fits that. I am partial to the Westfalia but it is overseas and would take a few bucks to get it on the road. My range to spend is between 25-35k so the Dove blue is on the higher end. I would love a flip seat westy but don't currently see any decent ads out there for one. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated as I am new to the split game and would love some help before buying. I have looked at all the buyers threads and found this one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member


Joined: July 15, 2007
Posts: 451

otahuhu is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

Cam.goslin wrote:
oakman wrote:
Here's a nice camper that was listed today:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2395240


Thanks to everyone for the replies, hopefully this will also help the OP if they are still in the market. I really love the Dove blue camper and it is in the price range that I am looking at. Below are a few others that I have been looking into. It would be nice to get some opinions on these if possible as I have never bought a split window and know the prices are high but unsure as to whether these are worth it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2393408
Westflia is appealing to me as I love the bay window westfalias and have a couple in my garage right now. Has the tent, and I love the Turkis green but it is overseas.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2335377
This one is in the states and comes with tent. Mostly original paint.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2316470

This one is in Vermont which is local to me for 30. No tent that I know of but that is not a big deal. Does need interior work from the comments in the ad.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2332529

This one is in the states, but is not original paint.



https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2354225

This one is in Vermont, again local to me, and I have been in contact with the owner. Love the Turkis.

These are just a few that I am currently looking at, I would really love an original paint camper so the dove blue fits that. I am partial to the Westfalia but it is overseas and would take a few bucks to get it on the road. My range to spend is between 25-35k so the Dove blue is on the higher end. I would love a flip seat westy but don't currently see any decent ads out there for one. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated as I am new to the split game and would love some help before buying. I have looked at all the buyers threads and found this one.


TWO DOWN THREE TO GO... The moral of the story is... "snooze you loose", if its good it will sell fast!

Having bought a few VWs from pics via email, I would recommend any car you can see in person. If it looks good be ready to hit the road and see it right away. The golden rule... Do your home work and lower your expectations. This way you wont be as disappointed as there are always going to be some issues with old cars. This is especially important when buying from out of town. Be aware that some people will stare you right in the eye and lie and its really hard to tell via email.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: March 18, 2007
Posts: 4552
Location: 1st Coast
LAGrunthaner is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I find an old Westfalia for restoration? Reply with quote

Those are super nice campers, personally I love the picture window Rivera. As for a Westy for 15K I understand they have a following but I don't understand why the late Westy's are so much more expensive. The early Westy I totally get they are desirable. I would prefer this OTW than my poptop Westy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


This guy in Florida has a Westy like mine and he can't sell it on eBay or here runs & drives and titled for under 10K. Now I understand it's probably got some rust under that paint but drive and repair could be a deal with the right offer?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2382687

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
American Red Cross Safe And Well link:
https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php?...OSmeUzh8l4
Maui Roadsters VW Logo
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB